Final Stage Resistor Replacement DIY- Right-hand drive - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #41
adamofoz

My Ride: 2001 320i
Firstly, Docremus, you are a legend amongst men. Great DIY.

I used an inspection mirror, combined with a head torch, to help me locate the troublesome T20 screw ( easy ), and fashioned up the following gizmo that enabled me to remove it in about 10min. ( most of which was remembering how to rub my belly whilst patting my head - i.e. using the mirror while getting the gizmo into place ).

The hex end allowed me to use a 1/4 inch spanner to get the torque to turn it easily. And the slim diameter made it easier to get into place. Pushing the vent opening downwards helped too.

Once in place, with a 1/4 inch spanner to turn it, and holding it firmly in place, the T20 screw came out no worries. On replacement I lightly taped the screw to the gizmo so it would stay attached while I got it back in the hole.

Hope that helps.

gizmo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1966.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	609240

made up of

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	609241

Last edited by adamofoz; 08-11-2015 at 01:27 AM.
adamofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #42
foxbass

My Ride: e46 1.8i touring
Well thanks to Docremus I went ahead and did mine early this morning. Bit of a cow for sure but I've done worse jobs. Like most of you I figure, I bought on fleabay, but mine at least has an aluminium body similar to original. Keeping my fingers crossed. I luckily have a angled torx wrench set and that proved to be a good length. Still, I didn't put that pesky screw back. It holds fine with one screw.
Only prob now is the fan only runs up to around half speed although the display goes up to full speed. Its not a bad speed but occasionally you need that full blast.
Sounds like I may need a new motor.
foxbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:30 AM   #43
dino911

My Ride: 2001 E46 318i
FSR replacement

Thank you for a great write up and even better pictures - simply amazing work!
I did mine today and decided at the start to remove the drivers seat to give me enough room ( disconnect battery first ) to lay in the foot space on my side. It took a while - more than 45 mins and less than 3 hours - and fixed the problem.
dino911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #44
ferrells garage

My Ride: 2002 316i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docremus View Post
The next step is to remove the stepper motor. Laying on your back across the sill and pushing yourself as deep into the footwell as possible, using the torch, look up and to your right and you can see an airvent pointing down toward you, just above that is the stepper motor positioned behind the A/C controller on the dashboard. It is held in with two torx screws. The bottom one is easy to remove. The top one is a different story, the shortened torx driver will fit neatly in-between the screw and the steering column. Seat the driver in the screwhead and patiently remove the screw.
TIP: This took me three hours first time round. When I replaced it, I screwed it back finger tight, just incase.
this screw is super easy to reach and undo using a small t20 1/4" drive, a short extension and of course a 1/4" drive ratchet.

i did the hole job start to finish in 10 mins.
ferrells garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #45
Benjamin e46newbie

My Ride: bmw 318i e46
is this the first port of call if your car only blows hot air ?? I've had a problem for a while and my 2001 bmw doesn't have the connection bellow the wipers to top up the air con ??
Benjamin e46newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #46
fordy_4

My Ride: 2000 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin e46newbie View Post
is this the first port of call if your car only blows hot air ?? I've had a problem for a while and my 2001 bmw doesn't have the connection bellow the wipers to top up the air con ??

If it only blows hot air, this may not be your only problem. May have low or no AC Gas. Or you may have a faulty compressor.

Whilst your diagnosing or paying a mechanic to diagnose, might as well replace this

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

2000 BMW E46 330ci

Fern Green Division

Question about belts & pulleys?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/blog/posts/m...elts-explained
fordy_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #47
ferrells garage

My Ride: 2002 316i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_4 View Post
If it only blows hot air, this may not be your only problem. May have low or no AC Gas. Or you may have a faulty compressor.

Whilst your diagnosing or paying a mechanic to diagnose, might as well replace this

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
His air con is broken. That has litterally nothing to do with the resistor.
ferrells garage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, final stage resistor, fsr