E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 94 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Nice ingenuity, I think you might have some trouble working that tool around the exhaust pipes though. I hope I'm wrong though
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
carl0s

My Ride: E46 330i, E60 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Swift Motorworks View Post
Nice ingenuity, I think you might have some trouble working that tool around the exhaust pipes though. I hope I'm wrong though
I was under the car today fitting the gearbox, and it looks like you could be right (I didn't actually check though), but if so I think I could possibly just downsize that flat bar a little bit, or grind a curve into its side or something to allow it to fit into position against the pipe.

I'll report back as and when I attempt the job anyway. Still got half the engine in bits.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
LOL @ rusty bolts thread.

Friggin SoCal pansies. ALL the hardware on a car in the north looks like that.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
timarnold

My Ride: 2005 X3
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Loctite Freeze & Release pentrating oil? I had very good success on using that on the control arm ball joints. I replaced these 4 studs on my E39, there was a lot of drillin & cussin involved.
timarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
carl0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Loctite Freeze & Release pentrating oil? I had very good success on using that on the control arm ball joints. I replaced these 4 studs on my E39, there was a lot of drillin & cussin involved.
No but I do have a can of it. Will let you know if its of any use.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
carl0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Swift Motorworks View Post
You're right. The square bar needs to be half its current depth. I started cutting it with a slightly worn hacksaw and decided I definitely can't be bothered with that today!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
carl0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
You're right. The square bar needs to be half its current depth. I started cutting it with a slightly worn hacksaw and decided I definitely can't be bothered with that today!!
Actually I've just had a great idea. BRB!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
carl0s

This is where I thought I was going to have to hack-saw the bar down the middle so that it would fit in place. I started hacksawing with an old blade and decided I really could not be bothered.
Pushing out exhaust midpipe manivertor studs on BMW

Then I thought about bench-grinding a recess into the side of the bar so that it would fit in place, and it worked out perfectly!

The modified bar (part of a steering wheel puller kit).

Final test-fit (after a few trips to and from the grinder).

As you can see, this isn't a sheared-off stud. It has rough threads that I could have just run a chaser over, but I do have sheared-off studs on my other manifold that's stuck under the car, so this is just a practice run.

In a few minutes it becomes apparent that the studs need cutting a bit shorter anyway to actually slide them out of the flange because the catalytic converter gets in the way.

You can see how it fits around the catalytic converter.

Time to give it a go!

After heating the flange around the stud a bit, it was very easy to push the stud out - a child could have done it.

All done. Except, the stud won't slide out because the catalytic converter is in the way!
I will shorten the stud with a hacksaw so it can be taken out, and refit with nuts & bolts.

On the other side of the flange, the o2/lambda sensor will get in the way, so that will have to be removed.

Last edited by carl0s; 09-22-2013 at 01:36 PM.
carl0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
You went through all that trouble to salvage $5 worth of hardware? You've got to be kidding me.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
carl0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
You went through all that trouble to salvage $5 worth of hardware? You've got to be kidding me.
What do you mean? I have sheared studs on the other manifold. I can't re-attach my exhaust system until I remove the studs.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #31
carl0s

I just finished removing the broken studs on my v8's other manifold.

They were quite a bit more stubborn, and certainly took a lot more effort. They didn't easily push out after little heat. When did they come out, they popped out fairly violently.

Before starting you really do need to cut the studs off just below their thread, primarily so that you can apply enough pressure on them without them just bending, and secondly, so that you can remove them out the other side.

This is perfect:
bmw manifold midpipe studs again
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
hoodust

My Ride: Tuned 3 & Drift M3
Send a message via Yahoo to hoodust
Nice work fellas. I am looking forward to taking out my exhaust manifold next week and Im hoping you guys could give me some tips. By the looks of it, I may need to take out the air control pump just to give me more space to work with in taking out the nuts by the heat shield. TIA

under modification DriftUNED
hoodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #33
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 01' 330ci-96' FZJ80
I just went thru this today at my brothers garage.
we soaked with pb blaster [im gonna order some aerokroil yet], but still two studs broke on the flange on the pass side.

what should have been a couple hours at most installing my new exhaust turned into almost 6 hours to finish.

I know it took us 4 hours to drill those two studs out, [my brother was too stubborn to drive me the 30 miles back to my house or the store for new bits] after we had dulled every bit he had and then some, we resharpened a few with a drill doctor and finally got those studs out.

I wish I had searched here for this topic first, would have bought double the amount of drill bits, it was a tough job I will say that.......

we tried the freeze stuff, which had worked on broken manifold studs on my Toyota landcruiser a couple months ago, but it didn't help.

oh well, live and learn to research EVERYTHING, cause I just never dreamed the blue car would have a tough time with frozen stuck parts.
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #34
seaniekaye

My Ride: 325ci
I am concerned about getting these apart... I need to take this all out to get to my guibo and center bearing. Despite all the praise for pb blaster, I think this could be a disaster.

seaniekaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
^^ for that, I would just take it to muffler shop to remove nuts.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #36
seaniekaye

My Ride: 325ci
I read that you want to replace the gaskets any time you disturb that connection, so I bought new gaskets - before I saw that mess. My brother suggested I take them in saying "oh I just need these installed.. no biggie.."
seaniekaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #37
Vas

My Ride: zhp
Just did this job. Pita of a job to remove the studs. Replaced the studs with bolts and nuts that are stainless steel.

However it now sounds like there is an exhaust leak from the manifold right below the cat. Is it possible to crack the welds when beating the studs out of the flange ?
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #38
timarnold

My Ride: 2005 X3
I suppose anything is possible, but the more likely issue is the exhaust gases are leaking around one or both of the gaskets. One of the things I noticed was that when the old gasket is removed, there is rust & other debris on the flange surfaces. I used a Flap sander on a small angle grinder to clean up both of the surfaces and then used new gaskets. If that doesn't work, a thin layer of High Temp RTV should resolve the issue. Use the O2 sensor-safe variety even though that really shouldn't be a problem.
timarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #39
nleeumd

My Ride: oldie
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
So I am in the process of doing this now (car is on jack stands). I have a e46 330ci. I already sheered off one of the four studs right below the nut. Is it correct to assume that If I 'sheer' off the remaining three studs below the nut, the pipe should seperate from the header flange? Then i should proceed with the drill out method?
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera

Last edited by nleeumd; 05-03-2015 at 08:28 AM.
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #40
djdonis

My Ride: e39 540i M, 330i 6sp
Has any of you tried the induction heating tool for heating the exhaust flange nuts - worked like a charm for me.

Tags
broken, exhaust, exhaust bolts, header bolts, stuck