E46 Fanatics Forum banner

lowering my xi...

66K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  jtskyline2002 
#1 ·
im not trying to spend too much, the less the better but i want to give my car a nice low stance without too many issues. i want coilovers but im thinking springs for the fact of saving money. any suggestions? the lower the car/price, the better :thumbsup:

#4 ·
why did you even bother commenting? i was looking for advice from people who may have tried different set ups and may have some do's and donts to share. but thanks for being a dicks anyway... so much for me thinking people were pretty cool on her, i guess you get the jerkoffs no matter where you go...

#9 ·
lowering with coils will give you the best look and performance while being able to raise it back up for the winter. a set of KW v1s is your best bet. Talk to Gottalovethexi and ///A about them.

Yes. lowering can hurt the front axles, but everything hurts the xi's front axles... every problem xi's face is fixed by swapping to new front axles.. we're use to it

#11 ·
e-rock- learn out to read buddy, i wrote 'spend', not 'search'... find something better to do with your time... anyways, yeah im not trying to slam it but i need a better stance then stock. i have 18's on it now and if i sit it about 2 inches of so it'l change it alot. id like to keep it within the $600-$800 range but it theres spring kits that are cheaper but not crap, id be happy with it. as most of us are, (maybe not the tools on here with mommy and daddys money) moneys been tight and anything saved is always a plus

#13 ·
Hey, don't knock on me because my parents gave me this car. It wasn't really a choice for me. It was either find a ride to Richmond or take the BMW. They pay for everything, I get to drive it. Suspension broke, so they paid to get it fixed. With Bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs. I can't complain.

But, you know, whatever. If it's your car, you can do whatever you want to it. Get some airbags and donks. Mothafuggin STANCE.

#14 ·
yeah bro, it wasnt directed towards you, i wish i had parents who have their shit together but i dont, it just bugs me when i see people who have all day to search/buy parts and talk shit on these forums when the people who your bashing are usually hard working people trying to get advice from people who 'honest' just know more.. im a paint tech so when it come to lowering a bmw, im gonna ask you guys for direction.. it may have came off as lazy or stupid but when decent people read my post, i now have an idea of what to do and what may break. to me it just seems like a waste of time to bash people on here just to fill the blanks on the douchebag check list.

#17 ·
I got a set of TEIN lowering springs on my XI an it gave it a really good look. I paid $250 after shipping. I installed them my self in a few hours, it was fairly easy to do. And i haven't had any problems with my front axels yet. You should also get a set of rear lower adjustable camber control arms to keep from wearing the inside of your tires out. I got a set for $120. also an easy install.

#18 ·
I am on the same idea like you, but after reading and reading I did not found any consistent solution to lower the xi without having problems and bad rides.

I really hate the stance of my car and compare to my sons car 328 i with sport suspension, makes me :ben:.

I read some where that it is a chance to change the xi suspension for a OEM non xi suspension and still having a good ride, but the info that I get wasn't enough to get an buy the parts.

Anyway I still looking, reading and learning :tsk:

#19 ·
if you want a comfy ride but sit lower, go with eibach springs/koni shocks, going to run you about $1k. or spend the extra $400 on kw's and have full control.

#23 ·
im in need of new suspension as well, looking to lower a tiny bit as well. thinking about an inch or so tops. i have read a ton of reviews but have yet to see someone comment on bavatuo. They have a set on their website that is bilstein sport shocks and bavauto springs. anyone care to comment or have experience? they are selling the set for $625

#24 ·
DO NOT go with bavauto springs.

#25 ·
The line that lowering an XI will kill your front axles is a freagin MYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a myth passed on by those who have zero first hand experience.

Yes, lowering an XI changes the front axle geometry, but the front axles have inboard and outboard CV joints, thus they are designed for changing geometry applications!!!!

What will happen. When you lower your XI, it will change the load on the CV boot clamps. From factory, these clamps are very poor and are not a good design for sealing the boots. Gone unchecked, your boots will empty of grease and the joint will fail and fanboys will groan that the lowing springs did it. BS!!!!

If you install new boot clamps, preferably the more robust type, not the cheap chinese or even OEM ones, you will be fine. I have 23k miles on my lowered XI and have had zero axle issues.

LOWERING AN XI DOES NOT KILL THE AXLES !!!!!!! POOR CLAMPS ARE TO BLAME!!!

#28 ·
If you install new boot clamps, preferably the more robust type, not the cheap chinese or even OEM ones, you will be fine.
Agree with you on this, I change the boot because was leaking, and when I went under the car I notice that the boot wasn't broke, it was the poor fitting of the clamp ( the big one ) :ben:, anyway I change the boot just because I have the kit.

Mark, What is the lowering set on your car ?
How many inches ?
How is the ride ?

I do not know if someone already ask you this :tsk:.

Thanks,

#27 ·
I'm trying to make a decision on suspension parts for my car as well. Like a lot of XIers, I'm looking for a modest drop and tightening things up without frigging up the frontend too much. After lots of research and chatting with a few board members here, I'm somewhere between Koni sports + Eibach prokit or Bilstein Sports + Eibach prokit.

Shox.com has a set of Konis on for $551, and Turner Motorsports has Bilsteins for $440. You should be able to pick up Eibachs for around $250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.