E46 Fanatics Forum banner

midbass driver

894 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  kwang125 
#1 ·
hi
anyone have experience with MB quart QSD164/PCE164/RCE164 or Kicker RMB6 ???

i am thinking of getting Diamond s600s in the front and a set of midbass
in the rear deck. I want to use the midbass as subwoofer since their response range is pretty low 35k-280. Can that work? please tell me what you think. TIA. :thanks:

#3 ·
It will work, just make sure that the midbases you are getting play well under "free air" conditions (most do, since they are designed to pay using the doors as enclosures).

I used to install kicker products. Their midbases are ok, but not the most impressive I have heard. For good midbases, try Image Dynamics.

Another solution would be two install two 8" free air subs under the deck, firing through the speaker holes, or even better, get some JL stealthboxes.

#4 · (Edited)
PM "Corrupted" said:
I am running PCE164 in my front doors in a 3 way setup. They provide a nice punch and a lot more quality midbass then the 5.25" ones I had in before. I do not like that they would be a good fit as your "sub" though.

does it have enough bass for pop music or musics such as creed, aerosmith, kid rock? is the bass solid ? did you have to cut the metal in the door?

#5 ·
ca1242 said:
It will work, just make sure that the midbases you are getting play well under "free air" conditions (most do, since they are designed to pay using the doors as enclosures).

I used to install kicker products. Their midbases are ok, but not the most impressive I have heard. For good midbases, try Image Dynamics.

Another solution would be two install two 8" free air subs under the deck, firing through the speaker holes, or even better, get some JL stealthboxes.
I thought about JL stealthboxes. how is the bass on those?
can i fit 8" sub in the rear deck? or do i have to cut/drill?

#8 ·
If you go with the MBQ's in the rear, try some XTC foam baffles with a wod of polyfill from crutchfield or parts express. It forms a small enclosure which helps bass response.

MBQs put out pretty good midbass, not sure how good they would sound as a subwoofer.

#11 ·
bigjae1976 said:
If you go with the MBQ's in the rear, try some XTC foam baffles with a wod of polyfill from crutchfield or parts express. It forms a small enclosure which helps bass response.

MBQs put out pretty good midbass, not sure how good they would sound as a subwoofer.
good idea. i didn't even know about these kind of products. i will pick up 6-3/4" x 4-1/2" XTC Speaker Baffles when i order the stuff. Thanks! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.