E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#28,341 · (Edited)
Down boy, down. Japan, I used a 3m clay bar, meguiars compound color and clarity restorer, then a zymöl wax
nothing special about red.

good products work well. on all colors. use good products. that's the secret. good things.

the best claybar at big retailers is the cheapest one you can find...around here it is clay magic, usually about $4 cheaper than the meguiars and mothers alternatives. all three do a good job.

the choice of quality wax these days is staggering and very subjective. suffice to say there are many high quality waxes available at walmart, autozone, etc.

#28,346 ·
Started morning with goal to check oil pump for failures. Issue is clunking noise, cylinder ticking/chatter, and oil low pressure blinking. There is video of M62 engine with exactly same noises and low oil pressure.
Dropped the steering rack, then the whole front subframe. Unbolted oil pan and found nothing, but only 2/3 of broken off washer. ****! All bolts are torqued nicely. Disappointed that it isn't oil pump afterall.
Putting oil pan back on, tried to torque down bolts, but they kept spinning... **** again! Only three or four bolts aren't stripped... No time for the car, so putting it all back together. Rubber, or should I say plastic, mount for steering rack hoses broke off...
Bolting tie rods back to control arm and noticed that top is smashed as **** so allen key won't go in...

Don't ever torque! If it says 10nm, do 10nm, not ****ing "Ohh it seems weak, I'll just tighten it with hands!!!"

#28,347 · (Edited)
Started morning with goal to check oil pump for failures. Issue is clunking noise, cylinder ticking/chatter, and oil low pressure blinking. There is video of M62 engine with exactly same noises and low oil pressure.
Dropped the steering rack, then the whole front subframe. Unbolted oil pan and found nothing, but only 2/3 of broken off washer. ****! All bolts are torqued nicely. Disappointed that it isn't oil pump afterall.
Putting oil pan back on, tried to torque down bolts, but they kept spinning... **** again! Only three or four bolts aren't stripped... No time for the car, so putting it all back together. Rubber, or should I say plastic, mount for steering rack hoses broke off...
Bolting tie rods back to control arm and noticed that top is smashed as **** so allen key won't go in...

Don't ever torque! If it says 10nm, do 10nm, not ****ing "Ohh it seems weak, I'll just tighten it with hands!!!"

Edit: Bolt's aren't stripped, thread in the block is....

#28,348 · (Edited)

Summertime Overhaul Projects

AC System, Replacing:

Compressor (OEM Denso)
Receiver Dryer (OEM Denso)
Expansion Valve (OEM Egelhof)
Blower Motor Resistor (OEM Behr)
Belt (Conti)

Also cleaning all the hoses and replacing with fresh OE BMW o rings.

Cooling System, Replacing:

Radiator (OE BMW)
Expansion Tank (OE BMW)
Upper & Lower Hoses (OE BMW)
Thermostat (Wahler)
Water Pump (HEPU)
Fan Switch (OE BMW)
AT Thermostat (OE BMW)
Electric Fan Conversion (CoolXpert)
Pulleys (Rogue)
Belt (Conti)

Extra Items:

PS Reservoir & Fluid
Intake Boots (Stett Silicone)
G.A.S DISA Rebuild
ICV & TB Cleaning
Headlight Restoration (Disassembled for thorough cleaning.)

One thing led to another and I just said screw it. Looking forward to getting the car back on the road.

#28,349 ·
Nothing's special about red.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

False. Red is considered a dark color, which requires a wax for dark vehicles. Also red, and agreed among anyone who does paint correction, will state that red is one of the hardest colors to remove swirl marks.

Like I stated before, you assume to much my friend.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#28,350 ·
My paint is too far gone to just clean up, It needs a respray but I'm a bit cheap so I'm just going to sand it down and vinyl wrap the thing. I might do matte white actually so I don't have to wrap or spray the engine bay or door jambs. Hmmm matte white with gunmetal rims? sounds good to me especially with my black leather.

Sounds like a gorgeous e46 :)

#28,351 ·
False. Red is considered a dark color, which requires a wax for dark vehicles. Also red, and agreed among anyone who does paint correction, will state that red is one of the hardest colors to remove swirl marks.

Like I stated before, you assume to much my friend.

You're not removing swirls from red paint. You're removing them from a clear coat.

#28,352 ·
You're not removing swirls from red paint. You're removing them from a clear coat.

Obviously. But due to the color under the clear coat, swirls are more visible. It's not different than buff marks from a terrible detailing being more visible on a black vehicle than let's say white? Color makes a difference.

#28,357 ·
Got my windows tinted yesterday, pics later. Loving them.
I'm in for pics as well! Also curious to the percent of light transmission you went with.

I pulled off the 14 year old, purple, bubbling tint from my car a few weeks ago and I'm going to replace it soon. Undecided as to what to go with.

Thanks!
CV

#28,358 ·
In for pics and temp differences.

Texas sucks.
I'm in for pics as well! Also curious to the percent of light transmission you went with.

I pulled off the 14 year old, purple, bubbling tint from my car a few weeks ago and I'm going to replace it soon. Undecided as to what to go with.

Thanks!
CV

You got it guys, stay tuned. I went with 3M 55% front doors and 35% rear doors and rear window