E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Cool idea, I think, eliminate stat housing and waterpump, S54, race only

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RAAMaudio 
#1 ·
I am going to run a Stewart electric water pump and have an idea on saving weight and reducing turbulence in the flow (at least in those areas, not much I can do about the block and head)

S54, race use only (might possibly be able to do an S50/52 version as well)

1) Remove water pump and stat housing, heater lines that plug into the water pump housing as well.

2) Make a aluminum flat plate to bolt on where the water pump mounted.

3) TIG weld a 90 degree same size diameter as stock hose fittings tube to the plate.

4) Port the opening for the smoothest flow.

5) Source the right hoses needed for the remote mounted waterpump to feed the radiator, etc....

6) Work out the details of one less pulley to drive.

Results, a decent amount of weight removed, less drag, less restriction, cost would be very reasonable for those already running or planning on running an electric pump.

I could have some made for those interested in it.

If somebody wants to jump on this idea and make it happen right away, be my guest but let me know so I can spend my never enough time on other things we are considering.

A) 50 amp mini alt
B) Race air box
C) many little things that are just a thought for now

Thanks
Rick

See less See more
#3 ·
Less turbulence can help in a few ways, I say can because there are many things to consider like overall efficiency may be so good or so bad the percentage might not be significant but could be very significant as well.

+Less load on the pump, should last longer and draw less current from the charging system or battery thus running a smaller alternator becomes more viable.

+Possibly pick up the heat better if the flow is smoother.

+When needed, better cooling effectiveness at the highest flow rate.

I am sure there are more, how to quantify this, that is something I do not have the time for so using a bit of logic and reason:)

Rick

+

+

#6 ·
Absolutely a prime benefit is the cooling while in the pits, etc......:)

The pump comes with it's own temp controller so the stock stat is not needed unless you keep the stock housing as it diverts the water properly.

We are going to build a test setup when we get the cage, seam welding, etc done, got a good start on it today, up on the rotisserie, just about done removing all the weight we can, main hoop done, etc.....

I have no way of knowing how well water flows once inside the engine but the stock water pump and stat are not very impressive looking in their flow design. What we are going to do will flow far better, I just hope enough to make a difference but I am not schooled in hydrodynamics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.