E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Head will NOT separate from block

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Barneyhyphen 
#1 ·
2000 323i. I have battled for 3 hours to separate the head from the block with NO success.

Could someone please confirm there are 14 head bolts PLUS two smaller bolts, one in each corner at the front of the head, holding the dead to the block.

Please tell me there are NO more bolts hidden anywhere.

Thanks.

BH

#3 ·
Dont really want to go anywhere near any of the surfaces with anything screwdriver/chisel like.

What I HAVE done is inserted an Long Oxygen sensor socket in to the water pump port with a 3/8" socket extension bar inserted in to the socket, extendond out about 4-5" beyond the front face of the head and placed a bottle (hydraulic) jack, between the crankshaft pulley and the above mentioned extension bar. then applied jack but STILL not moving.

Do I have the bolt count correct or is there another hidden bolt?

#6 ·
Well, I've never removed the head on my 330, but from other experiences, you're looking at a unit that hasn't been taken apart in 13 years, and for (I'm guessing) at least 150k miles.

Reach deep down, grab some testicular fortitude, and pry hard. Also, the cold chisel around the edges isn't a bad idea. Be gentle, and it should work just fine.

#7 ·
I think I agree. The 13 years and 147k has taken it's toll! moderate Testicular fortutude, along with bottle jack, 4 lb club hammer and large screwdriver all applied. Still no movement!!!!!

I'm leaving it overnight under jack pressure and liberal spraying of penetrating fluid. It may "pop" overnight. Yeh, 1/1000 chance.

Any and all other suggestions willingly accepted.

BH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.