E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Stock Xenon problems

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jM2.me 
#1 ·
Left and right bulb keep going out. Started a couple days ago with just one side going out now its both sides. I can switch it off and on but, it will only stay on for 10-15 seconds. I've searched and some say its a grounding problem and other said its the xenon igniter. Both bulbs are new and they don't flicker or are they discolored.
Is there a way to fit an after market HID kit on to stock HID's?

#2 ·
it's probably cheaper and better to fix your stock lights rather than to install an aftermarket kit.
since it seems like they are igniting, I would say that your igniters are probably fine so you should take a look at the ballasts, if they're still original then it's more than likely they are both going out.
You can also check the tailight ground which has known to cause problems.

#3 ·
the ballast is probly faulty. when they fail, they often go on/off intermittently.

since you already changed the bulb, i would clean the contacts between the bulb and ballast, and at the wiring to the ballast. if the problem still happens, you need new ballast. a set of aftermarket ones should work but avoid cheap ones on ebay. try morimoto or some other brands that are reputable.

#5 ·
Would they both go out at the same time? This problem escalated pretty quickly. On Wednesday it would be just the driver side bulb, it would go out and then I would turn the switch on and off and it would be fine for the rest of the night then the last two nights it was both sides doing it and it wouldn't stay on. Is there a good place to buy ballasts? DDM, Amazon?

#8 · (Edited)
You will have to remove igniter and old ballast. Then just mount new ballasts (I mounted them on bolts near shock towers) and connect the wires.

If you have bixenon you will have to do small hack which is gonna cost you extra $15 I think. Sorry I don't have the link, someone should post it.
And you will probably need rubbber covers to cover the holes where old wires used to go. Plus bigger ruber cover for main headlight wire

#11 ·
Will ddm ones work without throwing error codes? Unimiza had some ballasts but reviews for the company were pretty bad. Alot of electrical stuff is acting up today. Passenger side front turn signal went out for about an hour then came back on. When hit the right blinker it would go twice as fast as normal then it sorted it self out later in the day. The headlights would flash brighter randomly, not really a flicker.
Is there a ground I should check in the engine bay? The upper radiator hose exploded a week ago maybe some of the coolant messed some stuff up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.