E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Xenon Headlight: Ballast? Bulb? Ignitor? Which is it? PICS!

24K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  PrecisionX 
#1 ·
Ok so since I have owned my car I have had finicky xenons, some times they will both fire right up and work great, other times one will feel like being out. I simply drive until operating temp is reached, put it in park and turn the car off and on. VOILA! Both work...

For a few days though my driver side had been a pain, it wasn't responding to any games and I decided it was probably the bulb. I switched the bulbs from each side and found that the problem stayed put. OK it's not the bulb.

BULBS:

Decided to take the headlight out... and this is what I found.

BALLAST: All gross looking, this I THINK is my issue but what do YOU guys think?

IGNITOR: Looks brand new, no ugly wires or bent/worn pieces/connectors/whatever.

Think it's the ballast? Where can I go to get a new one and fix this issue without losing my a$$?

See less See more
#2 ·
eBay?

And it looks pretty corroded, but I don't know that any final conclusion can be reached by looking at the pictures unfortunately.

If the bulbs are original they are well overdue for replacement as well.

Phillips 85122+ are the best bang for the buck. And don't get them on eBay or they'll likely be knockoffs.

#3 ·
+1 on not getting them from eBay. Get them from Amazon. They're an authorized Philips retailer.

And I'd definitely replace the bulbs and ballasts. You can probably source some Denso ballasts (OEM in Lexus) from theretrofitsource to save some money. just keep in mind they likely have integrated igniters.

#4 ·
it does look rather corroded. but check the connections, because if these are like other oem ballasts I've had they are internally encased and water resistant. but not sure on yours.
you can probably get a good used one from a salvaged yard and be good.

i can't say your bulbs should be replaced, that's more a matter of hrs on than year made or mileage. bulbs will dim and shade change when crystals start to go out.

#5 ·
believed it or not (the same thing happened to my brand new Bi-Xenon and my old Xenon. both are OE/Original BMW headlights) but water can get into the ballast.

the good news is that the fix is very easy and if it work it will only cost you $0.

this is what you do.

1) remove the ballast from headlight
2) remove the cover from the ballast. should be some small torx bit
3) open up the ballast and verify for any presence of water or water damage

if there are water:
1) use a hair dryer and dry up as much water as possible. Don't use hair dryer on high or super hot. just get warm air moving.
2) Put the ballast or just the PCB into a ziplock bag full of rice. if you have no rice then call your asian friends for rice. all asian has rice in their house. not racist. just facts

if there are signed of water damaged
1) use electrical contact cleaner and clean out the white/chaulky residue
2) use a soft tooth brush to clean the PCB

after everything is done then just plug it up.

my advice is free so you can either take it or leave it. the good news is that my advice and it fix doesn't cost anything (well...electrical cleaner at autozone and a soft toothbrush) and is very easy to fix. therfore, it is worth a shot before you waste any money buying a new or used ballast.

again, I had the same problem twice and my advice I posted above is what I did to fix the problem

#7 ·
I agree on opening them up and drying out/cleaning with electrical contact cleaner. wouldn't hurt.

as far as the denso ballasts, i don't see why they wouldn't work. AFAIK, they use a 9006 input just like any car (or in our case, the e46) and output to a d2s plug. so it should be pnp. someone correct me if I am wrong.

They also offer 100w supercharged denso ballasts! but i think those would be borderline felony

#10 ·
Excellent tip. I was actually going to clean all my electrical connectors and run out to the store and buy electrical contact cleaner. since i have a buttload of MAF cleaner, i'll just use that.

i trust you being an engineer is correct about this otherwise you're buying me a new wiring harness :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.