E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Moisture stuck in tail light

12K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  rocksandblues 
#1 ·
How do I get moisture out of my lense of my LED tail lights?

It doesnt have any cracks for moisture to get in there. A tiny bit of water ran from the trunk, through the black plastic (it had tiny opening) and it got through all the electronics in the tail light and into the lense.

I got the water out, but there are about 10 scattered drips inside the lense, and some steam from the condensation under the sun.

#3 ·
Run a regular fan, not a heated fan, correct?

Water got in through the trunk side of the light. So Id use a fan on this side as well?

Its not cracked. You know how on your tail lights, you have the black plastic piece on the side of the tail light to prevent water from going down there? This OEM plastic for my regular tail lights isnt the correct fit for my LED. It is a tiny bit off. I taped it down for now.

#9 ·
Its not cracked. You know how on your tail lights, you have the black plastic piece on the side of the tail light to prevent water from going down there? This OEM plastic for my regular tail lights isnt the correct fit for my LED. It is a tiny bit off. I taped it down for now.
Ahhh okay. Well, in either case, put silicone sealant on the side that's slightly off :) Or you can buy a new plastic weatherstrip piece. Not sure of the part number on that one, though.

#5 ·
Eugene, I could've sworn I also saw a crack...covered with tape...no?

#2...gasket...maybe you don't have that?

You don't want to collect water in your battery compartment. Lucky it's the spring and you have time before that water freezes up...it's happened before here.

Anyway, doublecheck...or I will tomorrow night. I'm so rarely wrong it frightens me sometimes! LOL

Also, next dry day, you could remove the tape and let it air out. If water got in, air will get out.

Remind me to introduce you to Sal and Enoc tomorrow...my shop's owner and #1 mechanic and third and fourth on my list of lovers if I ever become gay and they do the same! LOL (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

#6 ·
No its the other side.

I did find a solution to block off the water from entering the light. I just need to get this moisture out. Its driving me nuts.

I did what Zell asked me to do. Here it goes. I would like to see progress within an hour :rofl:

Attachments

#12 ·
I have the same issue but more severe. I got about an inch of water in the driver's side tail light for a while now and I am not sure how it got in. Not sure if high pressure car wash is doing it (I get my car washed at least once a week). Question is; how do I get rid of it?

#15 ·
If there is an inch of water in the housing, it is probably a bad seal at the top between the back of the housing and the front lens. Repairing will take, probably, 2 mins. But getting all the moisture out so that it doesn't fog when it gets cold takes some effort.

1. Get a dessicant pack (from shoes, electronics, etc.)
  2. Remove the bulbs. Remove the housing from vehicle.
  3. Plug the bulb openings and turn the housing in different directions to learn where the water entered. Mark those points.
  4. Drain water out of bulb openings.
  5. While you are there, clean the reflector and inside of the lens: they will be dirty.
  6. Remove as much moisture as possible with a paper towel or MF cloth.
  7. Then blow air into the largest opening (use a can of compressed air such as is used for cleaning keyboards, or, if you have access to a vacuum that allows you to blow air, that's great) to remove as much remaining water as possible. This may also allow you to wipe dry a bit more.
  8. Then place in front of a fan for 2-4 hours.
  9. Remove from fan and seal leak points with silicone.
  10. Insert dessicant (hang it inside the housing with a paper clip) and let stand overnight (or several hours, minimum).
  11. Reinstall in car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.