E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sillieidiot’s Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

139K views 209 replies 55 participants last post by  yendorr 
#1 · (Edited)
Got tired of typing these responses all the time in my PMs and threads. So I'm just going to write it out here and link to it whenever someone asks lol I didn't include anything that is already posted in one of the other sticky threads.

I tried to organize it so that lighting problems are listed front to back (i.e. headlight related problems first, then rest exterior, and then interior). Use the Find function to help find what you're looking for. I didn't write every conceivable symptom that can possibly occur though.

Here's a general bulb replacement guide for the e46:
- Low beam: H7 (halogen)/D2S (bi/xenon)
- High beam: H7
- Front turn signal: 1156/7507/7440 (04-06 coupes only)
- City light (non-US): 194/T10
- Fog light: 9006/H11 (02-05 325 sedans mainly)
- Sidemarker: 194/T10
- Tail lights (pretty much all of them including rear fogs/reverse): 1156/7507
- License plate lights: 39mm x 10mm festoon
- Footwell/glove box: 39mm x 10mm festoon
- Vanity mirror lights/interior trunk lights: 44mm x 10mm festoon
- All interior map lights/center dome light: 194/T10​

1) What do the light warnings mean?
a) Everyone knows what they look like so I won't post a picture. But the warnings themselves don't specify which bulb exactly is out.
i) Front warnings could mean either the front turn signal, low beam, or high beam bulbs.
Note: For non-US cars, city lights also use the same warnings.

ii) Rear warning could mean the parking lights, rear turn signal, or brake lights.
Note: On some model years, the license plate lights will have this warning.

iii) There are no warnings for the reverse lights, front/rear fog lights, or sidemarker lights.​

2) My bi/xenon low beam (left/right) is dead (or intermittently turns on), what is wrong?
a) First, you have to help us diagnose it by systematically isolating the problem.
Note: For 04-06 facelift coupes you want to start with the igniter first then go to the bulb because the igniter is located on the back of the bulb.

i) Swap the bulb by switching the bad bulb with the good bulb from the other side. If the problem switches side, it's the bulb. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
(DIY changing xenon bulbs for 04-06 facelift coupes: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8288566#post8288566
For all other e46s: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=609544)

ii) Swap the ballast. You will need to remove your headlights to get to it. Again, like with the bulb, swap the bad side with the good side. If the problem switches side, then it's the ballast. If not, read the next step.
(Headlight removal DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9217044#post9217044)

iii) Since there are only 3 xenon components on the headlights and you ruled 2 of them out. It's the igniter.
(Use this link to identify the xenon components and how to take the headlights apart to get to the igniter: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8554679#post8554679)​

3) One of my bi/xenon lights is dimmer than the other, is my bulb dying?
a) This symptom has a few possible causes.
i) I would check the connections and wiring. It could be a bad ground at the plug.

ii) One of your bulbs could be dying faster than the other one. If you have never replaced them before, it's time. OE bulbs typically have a lift span of 5-7 years. The light output gets severely diminished the older it gets. When you get new bulbs, your lights will improve as well.

iii) If after replacing the bulbs and it's still dim on one side, then most likely it's your ballast that is dying. When xenon ballasts get old, they lose power over time. I think they can go as low as 28w (35w is what the ballast is rated for when it's new/functioning correctly) before it will stop turning on the bulb.​

4) Both of my low beams are dim or have bad light output, it is supposed to be like that?
a) If you have never replaced your bulbs before, then you probably just new a new pair of bulbs. They will be much brighter.

b) If you have a ZKW bixenon headlight and it's still dim after you replaced the bulbs, you may be suffering from burned projector bowls. The only fix at the moment is to either retrofit new projectors, buy unburned ZKW projectors and replace them (will still burn later on), or buy a set of OEM AL/Bosch headlights to swap with your current ones.​

5) I just installed Bi/xenons (or PnP HID kit), but there is an error (or flickers a bunch of times then turns off). What do I do?
a) There are a few things you can do. I'll start with the most recommended option, as it's the OEM way to do things and go from there
i) You need to get your car "coded/reprogrammed" so that it can accept xenons. You can do this by either going to the dealer, Indy bmw shop, or post a thread and see if one of our regional fanatic coders can do it for you. You can program the car yourself as well, but it's best if you research about it to see if you want to attempt it (it could really mess things up if you don't do it right).
Note: For some model years (generally 03+), when you code the car, you will lose your inner high which has been relegated to "flash to pass" duty. So you will not have high beams. For more information see next question.

ii) You can buy warning cancellers from a vendor. Here is one from TRS: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=238

iii) If you have some soldering/electrical skills. You can DIY your own warning cancellers. See here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506677&highlight=diy+capacitor+mod

6) I got my car reprogrammed for bi/xenons and lost my high beams. I need them, what now?
a) Again, there are a couple of things you can do. I'll start with the easiest.
i) You can get them turned on by someone with knowledge of programming with NCS Expert. You'll have to make a thread to ask if anyone in your area can do it.

ii) If you installed OEM bixenon headlights, you can retrofit the bixenon function to get the shutters working. See here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377921&highlight=diy+bixenon+function
The original author of the DIY is here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

iii) If you just have single xenons, you can do a variation of the bixenon retrofit. Instead of connecting them to the bixenon shutter plugs, you would connect them to the high beam plugs instead.​

7) Both my bi/xenon headlights would blink/flicker sometimes. How can I fix it?
a) Most likely this is related to a grounding problem in the tail lights. BMW did issue a recall to get these fixed, but some owners might have not done so. Here is a DIY for it (search "tail light ground fix" for others): http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796718

b) Also check all the connections going to your headlights.​

8) I put an HID kit in my fog lights, now when I turn it on, the cluster flickers and sometimes resets, any known fixes?
a) The fog lights were not intended to drive xenon lights like the low beams are. You should use an accessory wiring harness. Make sure you get a quality harness with a good relay. Some cheap relays still cause feedback.

b) The other problem is probably the crappy ballast you are using. It's drawing too much power at startup. A better quality ballast would alleviate the problem; however, I would still recommend you install the accessory harness regardless.​

9) The auto-leveling function isn't working?
a) Check the connections. Check for breaks in the wire, which occurs often as well as making sure everything is secured correctly.

b) Check the leveling sensors that are located on the control arms on the passenger side. They could be broken.

c) If it's not a or b, then the auto-leveling motors could be bad.
Note: On the facelift coupe, the auto-leveling arm is kind of weak. So if you hit a pothole or something, that could be broken. The only fix is to get the leveling arm from a parts headlight or buy a new one.

10) The adaptive function isn't working correctly, what should I do?
For 04-06 coupes only.
a) There are a couple of things that can go wrong
i) if they are going in the opposite direction that you are turning the steering wheel to, most likely you accidentally swapped the ALC unit (smaller silver box) when you took out the headlight or installed angel eyes. They are side specific, just swap it back and you should be good.

ii) If the little green light on the LCM (when the switch is in auto) is blinking and it doesn't turn at all. Most likely there is a problem with the ALC unit itself. The only way to diagnose it is to get it scanned, and then go from there. If you need to buy a new one, keep in mind that you will need to reprogram them to work on your car.​

11) My headlights are aimed too high/low, how do I re-aim them?
a) See this DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=613022&highlight=diy

b) For the facelift coupes, instead of knobs, you have little screw holes (either use a Phillips or an Allen wrench). One is located near the radiator support. There is a semi-circular cutout for it. That is the up/down adjustment. The left/right adjustment is located on a hole that is near the turn signal.

Here is a couple of pictures off my own car (H = horizontal, V = vertical):

Horizontal close up:

12) What about aiming the fog lights?
a) It's the same process pretty much, just much lower. On most e46 bumpers, you have to take off a cover and there you will find a hole (similar to how it looks on the 04-06 coupes) in which you can use a Phillips screw driver to adjust. On some model years, it's not possible to aim them at all.​

13) Sometimes one of my front turn signals shows a warning (or fast blinking) but the bulb appears to be fine?
a) Check your connections. Something could be loose at the plug. Clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

b) The metal tabs might not be getting a good connection. Get a flat and pry them up a little so that they touch the bulb better.

c) The bulb holders tend to melt as well. If that is the case, just buy new ones and it should fix the problem.​

14) My angels aren't working correctly, what is the problem?
a) You have to be more specific than that. But here is a list of a few things that could be wrong and how to fix them.
i) One of the rings don't work
1) The connection from the ring to the inverter/LED driver might not be properly connected. Check them to make sure they are.

2) The ring itself could be defective. If so, warranty them if you can, otherwise buy a new one and reinstall.​
ii) Both the rings on 1 side don't work
1) If you CCFLs, then most likely the inverter is toast. Get a new one or better yet upgrade to LED rings to increase reliability.

2) For LED angel eyes, the LED driver/resistor packs could be bad. Just warranty/get a new one.
3) Also check the connection from the relay harness that connects to the inverter/drivers.​
iii) All 4 rings don't work
1) Check to make sure the power/ground is properly connected. Clean the connections and reinstall.

2) Check the Fuse. It's a 5 Amp one if you need a replacement.

3) If the rings come on with the interior lights but not when the engine is running. Check the ECU tap. If you didn't solder it, then the tap could have gotten loose, or the trigger wire part is loose. Just redo the connections.

4) If none of those are the problem, then it's probably the relay itself. Replace the relay.

5) In very rare cases, this can be the result of an LED interior light install. If that happens, then you need a resistor in the footwell for the LED bulb. Or you can just use a regular incandescent bulb. See link in 20a.​

15) One of my low beams won't turn on (but the headlights and all xenon components work fine after testing) after installing angel eyes (or any other lighting equipment [although in rare cases, it could happen without having installed anything])
Primarily a symptom in 04-06 coupes

a) If it was the angel eyes that were last installed. Check the ground wire on the relay. Often time if that is not getting a good connection this is the symptom.

b) If another lighting equipment was installed, uninstall it (just disconnect it, don't have to completely take it out). And see if it fixes it. If it does, then either there is something wrong with your install/wiring or the product itself is defective (can be defective and still work. Our cars are just more sensitive to these things).

c) If nothing was installed:​

i) It could be a bad ground wire somewhere in your car. This is extremely hard to find. First try to "reset" the car by taking off the ground battery terminal in the trunk. Since this is a ground wire, this could be your culprit. I usually leave it off for a few minutes.​

1) The other couple of known places for bad grounds are the headlight plugs (both low/high) and the official BMW ground point which is located behind the headlights.​

2) Otherwise, good luck in your search for that ground wire. There are tons of them throughout the car.​

i) Try unplugging the LCM for a bit and putting it back. There have been some confirmation that this works..​

ii) Check the Red/Black/Green wires that connect to the igniter. Often times they become brittle and crack, or completely severed.​

1) If the insulation on these wires brittle and crack. The remedy for this is to pull the wires out of the connector and use heatshrink to wrap them up. If you don't know how to do that, you can get by with just electrical taping it.​

2) If the wire is severed completely. Best bet is to take the wires out of the connector and solder them back together and heatshrink it. If you can't do that, then you can try using wire connectors. It will be a tight fit.​

16) There is a warning light for the tail lights, but all the bulbs are good. What is the problem?
a) This is related to the tail light ground problem. See question 6a.

b) Try cleaning the contacts and bending the tab up if possible.

c) The bulb holder traces itself could be melted. If so, replace it with a new one.​

17) My brake lights stay on all the time, what is the problem?
a) This is an emergency feature that BMW implemented. It usually occurs when there is a break in the wiring somewhere. It'll be hard to look for that so I would recommend taking it to a shop.

b) The other thing it could be is a bad LCM.​

18) I installed LEDs in my license plate lights, they keep dying and there is a warning light. What should I do?
a) Unfortunately, you may be one of the few unlucky e46 owners that have warning lights for the license plate lights. You can try using high power LEDs to circumvent it as there is no way to put resistors in the trunk handle. Or you can just stick to using regular bulbs.​

19) I have DEPO/EE LED tail lights and they aren't working correctly, help?
a) That's to be expected lol Not the best quality.

b) It could be one of the resistor/capacitor packs that have one bad. Unfortunately, they don't sell them separate so you'll probably have to buy a new set.

c) The LEDs themselves could be bad due to heat/improper design. If you have the skills, you can open them up and replace all the LEDs yourself. Otherwise, buy a new set.

d) Pretty much whatever problems you have with them, you're SOL.​

20) There are missing/bad LEDs on my OEM LED tail lights, what can I do?
a) Unfortunately, not much. They rarely go out in the first place. So unless you have the skill to replace the LED yourself, you'll have to buy a new tail light.​

21) I bought some LED interior lights but they don't fit in through normal install procedures. Can I open them another way?

22) Installed LED interior lights, but now they don't turn on when you lock/unlock. The map light bulbs work fine though?
a) The ones that turn on when you lock/unlock are on a separate circuit. Most likely, you need to put a resistor on one of the 5 locations for them to turn on. The 2 most likely places are the footwells and the center dome light. The size of the resistors can be found in my DIY linked in question 20a.​

23) The LEDs in the vanity mirror lights don't turn on?
a) Are you testing them with the key in the on position? They don't turn on otherwise.
b) Otherwise, check the fuse. It's on its own separate circuit too. Most likely that is the cause.​

24) Why do my angel eyes not work after installing LED interior lights?
a) See question 13a.​

That's all I could think of that I commonly answer. I did the leg work for a lot of these problems already. If it's not in here, you can just post in here or a new thread and someone will probably answer it.

See less See more
#34 ·
Thanks, I would be interested in the solenoid and try that, especially since I got answers that all the projectors I found are Bosch.

Regarding wires; I would think that if the shop had the assembly out at least 3 times, replaced the LCM once with a test unit. opnce with the new and again with the original unit going back in, all the connections would have been off and on that many times - or is that a wrong assumption?

#35 ·
yeah it's off, but that doesn't mean the pins in the connectors themselves are getting good contact. if anything taking them on/off multiple times would have made it worst lol the wires/connector is something i would have checked first, easy fix.

and honestly, the fact that your shop jumped from that straight to LCM makes me think that they are in it for the money since the LCM is a high priced item. i would have checked the wiring first. then tried to power it up outside of the car. if that doesn't work, then there's no way it's the LCM. since you can't buy the solenoid by itself usually, the next logical step would be to suggest you replace the headlight. i could go on lol LCM would be the very last suggestion imo.

i'll go check for the solenoid, i'll send you a PM if/when I find it.

#36 ·
I can see where it sounds that way about the shop. But it is a one guy owner who I have been going to for years. BMW trained, competes in autocross and a Dinan installer. He has done well enough to need a few guys working for him so I don't know who was troubleshooting it and this is the first electrical issue I have had. All his previous mechanical work has been spot on and he has a number of guys who he preps their cars for racing. Might not see lighting issues too often. In any case, this is a repair I can handle, so I will and leave the mechanical repairs to him.

Greatly appreciate the help and ping me if you find the part. Cheers!

#37 ·
I have an 05 325ci vert with a dead passengers side oem bixenon, I pulled the light out and checked everything and it was a basket case, the lamp, ballast and projector are all good but the wiring is trashed, is there anywhere that sells an oem light harness (internal)?

Thanks for the post, very informative. I will try and post the pictures of what I am talking about later, the insulation is just falling off the wires. In all honesty I am lucky it didn't catch fire.

Sean

#38 ·
I think I know what you are talking about. It happens to a small percentage of people. It's the insulation coming off the 3 wires that plug into the igniter right?

There is no wiring that can be bought. But if it's not too badly damaged, it can be repaired. You'll just need to know (or know someone) that can solder.

#42 ·
there's no guide for the FL coupe headlights. but I highly recommend that you DO NOT try to lol. it's a bitch, and you'll probably never figure out how to put it back lol

I would just try to repair the wiring with everything in place. it's a little harder to maneuver, but way easier than trying to take the projector apart without breaking anything.

normally the insulation breaks at the connector, so it's a pretty easy fix.

#41 · (Edited)
#47 ·
you're welcome

Maybe add the dash-board lights to this. All the rest of the bulbs are easy to find, the dash lights are a bit harder.
what do you mean by dash-board? as in the LEDs for the cluster and stuff? those aren't really user replaceable.

Hey sillie!!!!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
what's up man?

#46 ·
Sillieidiot’s Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Hey sillie!!!!!!!

#57 ·
sillieidiots lighting guide

Hey, sillie, First of all GREAT write up, i hope my problem can be added to it, from reading many of your Q/A and posts you recommend checking the grounds in the vehicle as a first approach. And we do have a lot of grounds in these vehicles. Anyways my situation is i recently changed the left (driver's side) tail light because a couple of the LED burnt out. All was working good until this morning after parking the car at work i looked back and noticed the lefthand rear light was on:censor:. All other lights was off. I went back and turned on all the lights and then turned them off, i did this a couple of times but the left (driver's side) stayed on:ben:. My ride-- 2006 330Cic with Oem led tails, i am lost:hmm:

#59 ·
ikeupinya;157Check your turn signal stalk said:
I just went back out and tried it:facepalm: swear you guys are geniuses i think Pres. OBAMA should give you guys an award, well at lest a six pack or some good Jamaican weed:lmao:, you guys took a load of stress off me. Thanks and thanks and its not the first time you all helped me. I owe you two six pack or:evil:, nuff respect everytime

#60 ·
It's a European parking light feature, shut the car off, move the stalk to the side you want to turn on and the front and rear park lights stay on. This marks the outside of the car with less drain on the battery.

#63 ·
hi im new to this site im john

iv got a 318ici coupe my number plate lights and fog lights and to more on the back off my car r not working the lamps r ok and im not fitting led wood this be the
lcm unit and if so can i just swop over with no problems

help on this wood be good please

#64 ·
Why go straight to LCM? Check all of your fuses, get a good digital meter and see if you have power at the lights themselves. Get or make some long test leads and put the meter in "fox and hound" mode and see if you have continuity from the LCM to the rear lights, from the fuse terminal to the lights. When doing your testing, make sure you have a good ground or direct connection to the negative terminal of the battery.

If you replace the LCM, you will need to recode it to take care of the tamper dot on the cluster.

#66 ·
Well, that was interesting. My passenger side headlight went out, so I switched the sides of the bulbs and now they both work again. I noticed, however that I can smell something like burning electrical down by the driver's side headlight now. I have the bi-xenons on an '03 330i. Burning electrical smells always concern me.... :yikes:

#70 ·
fitted new lcm unit all sorted now but if any one do replace keep the old one with the car as it leave a dot on the dash

very easy job to fit new and you can get them on e bay
i had more than one light out and lights on the dash but that bit all sorted now iv replaced unit .
yeah you stated that twice already. to get rid of the tamper dot, you need to have the LCM reprogrammed for your car. keeping the old one won't do anything because after 60 miles or so, the descrepancy will be too much between the cluster and the old one you have. so when you put it back there will be an error either way.

#71 ·
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

Trying to troubleshoot a problem. First it would be nice if I knew what headlights I'm currently running so I've attached a photo. Are these the retrofit xenon projectors or are these stock?

The problem is that when I turn them on I've noticed only the drivers side one moves up and down and the passenger side doesn't move at all. Sometimes the passenger side headlight flickers when I turn it on. Could there be a connection between these issues?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

#73 · (Edited)
Anything in drl. . Mine don't seem to turn on I have 03 330i I've seen other similar years and 330i with drl any help? I think i have single xenon, was thinking of installing angels but I'm not sure if I need drl for the angel eyes..another thing is i believe the bulbs are h7 if I use my indicator to flash they turn on so I kno the bulbs work...

#75 ·
First off, great thread. It will certainly help readers understand the inner workings of the E46 lighting system.

Now, my issue: The passenger side xenon on my 2004 M3 was flickering intermitenly, and now finally goes off after about 30 seconds.
The driver side xenon went off for a couple times today as well (first day). So I'm trying to find out, do I need 2 new balasts, or to check the taillight ground?

I've already swapped bulbs, its not the bulbs.
Also, the xenons will turn on right away again if I flip the switch on & off. That means its not the igniters from what I'm reading.

Could it be the LCM?
Could it be a taillight ground?
Could it be the ballasts themselves?

Where would you start looking?

#76 ·
Well you really only did the first step to isolate the problem. Since it's not the bulb, why don't you proceed to the next step which is to swap the ballast? It'll tell you which you need at that point.

The other side is probably dying because you are turning it on/off so many times in quick succession. That's very bad for the xenon components and I would advise against continuing to do so.

Normally the tail light ground would just cause constant flickering and you would see this in both of the headlights. But you shouldn't have a ground problem since you have an 04 with LED tail lights.

I don't think it's the LCM, you would notice a lot of other random lighting errors.

Have you ever replaced the stock bulb at all? If not, I would replace those while you're at it.

#77 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. When I bought the car both reverse lights didn't work and when I went to try and replace the bulbs I discovered that the carriers weren't even there! I bought new ones and tested them on a buddies car first and they worked but when I put them in mine, no luck. I've checked fuses but I don't know which ones exactly are for the reverse lights. Is there anything else I can check?

#78 ·
I'd use a multimeter and check for power from the wiring first. There should be a fuse, but I don't remember what is it. I'll check it out later and see i guess. it could be the wiring is cut where the trunk wiring loom is. That's a common problem.