E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Chrome window trim

10K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  Don1 
#1 ·
The trim around my windows is covered in water spots and so far, nobody that I have talked to has known how to properly clean these off. I've tried plastic cleaner, 303, everything I can think of. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks.

-Mark

#28 ·
rdp330ci said:
Wow..please post the response from BMW..if it is actually chrome then Brasso should work fine.

:clap:
Dear xxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. We appreciate your inquiry, and we are happy to assist.

The trim on the 2002 BMW 330 models is chrome. I hope this information is helpful.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-xxxx, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxx
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

#30 ·
i don't have this problem on my 330 yet but I have used a product called Never Dull which is available at pep boys and found that it has worked wonders. I used it on the chrome on our mercedes and also on rims. When I got my first set they had a ton of hazing and other contaminants and the never dull got it all out. Its a wadding polish and you just rub it in and wipe it off and voila.

made a big difference. I use it to polish up the chrome on the 330 every now and then. the chrome still shines like a mirror. definetely recommend it. I think its made by a company called eagle

#33 ·
im2stupid said:
just a little update...

as soon as I start rubbing on the brasso it looks pretty good.. shines like it's supposed to.

but as it "dries" it goes right back to being hazed up. I think I had the same issue with few other products.

Hey thanks for the update:

here are the tips on using brasso. Any military folks out there will concur with my advice.

use a clean rag/towl and dap just a small amount of brasso in a small area of a rag. The area should be the size of your fingertip. basically, small area.

use the brasso soaked towel and start "waxing" the chrome. Once your rag start turning BLACK then you know Brasso is working. If the brasso isn't turning BLACK then you have to apply more brasso and start waxing harder.

basically, brasso acts as an abrasive that removes the tarnish from your chrome. the key is keep doing it until it gets black. once it is black then use a clean portion of your rag/towel and clean up any excess brasso residue on the trim

#38 ·
ADA said:
Hey thanks for the update:

here are the tips on using brasso. Any military folks out there will concur with my advice.

use a clean rag/towl and dap just a small amount of brasso in a small area of a rag. The area should be the size of your fingertip. basically, small area.

use the brasso soaked towel and start "waxing" the chrome. Once your rag start turning BLACK then you know Brasso is working. If the brasso isn't turning BLACK then you have to apply more brasso and start waxing harder.

basically, brasso acts as an abrasive that removes the tarnish from your chrome. the key is keep doing it until it gets black. once it is black then use a clean portion of your rag/towel and clean up any excess brasso residue on the trim
I concour with his advice!!!

#43 ·
I think BMW uses a chrome plated plastic material. This explains why it actually can fade so quick. You can protect this surface with a good sealant like the Klasse All In One (AIO) which will help clean the surface and protect it. Also the Klasse AIO works great on the paint if you haven't tried it. Any good sealant should protect it just fine, just be careful not to get too much product on the rubber trim.

Greg @ Detailed Image

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.