E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ZHP Steering Rack Mod

113K views 281 replies 43 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 ·
I finally got rid of the piece of $hit overboosted steering in my '01 330i. Picked up used '04 330i ZHP rack & pinion for $250 and had a stealer do the install + alignment.
It's a night and day difference; the new rack feels solid and the car drives like a BMW should. Best mod I've done thus far :excited:

The ZHP rack & pinion part # 32136757650.

#2 · (Edited)
could you show us the invoice for the part number on that please. that part number does not come up on any BMW parts database i can find.

further more it's been kinda figured out that the zhp rack is the same as any late model 330. maybe even as early as 09/01

great upgrade non the less :thumbup:

#5 ·
#8 ·
Not sure what you're getting at. If you're buying new, you'll have to get 651 as there's no option for 650 this was discussed above. I've read the threads on the ZHP rack and there's no clear consensus if ZHP rack is different than reg 330i. All I'm saying is that I bought used '04 rack from ZHP donor car and the difference in feel is huge.

OP's sig lists a 2001, so it sounds like an upgrade to me. :clap:
My car was born on 08/2000...the rack makes it feel like a brand new ride ;)

#6 ·
#10 ·
Do you know if this rack will fit any e46 or are there mating issues with some of the older ones?

#15 ·
Just checked, RWD and XI use the same part numbers. However, the rack for a car with the manual transmission has a different P/N from the auto transmission racks. Anyone know the differences?

#16 ·
Part numbers can be same/different on ZHPs/non-ZHPs for all care. Truth is ZHP rack is quick, non-ZHP is not. As long as the donor is a true ZHP, it's rack is the one you want.

#18 ·
There is NO ZHP special rack

this is absolutely FALSE :banghead:

it has long been proven and accepted (even among the zhp forums) the racks are the same in the post '01 330s.

you can wish all you want, but the fact about the rack is it's the same. please don't contribute to mis-information. there were many things posted about the 330 performance package in it's release that were for all those current 330s. this is where the mistake was made and myth created.

this however has nothing to do with the Original Posters rack, which was a pre-Sept 2001 build. therefore his rack swap is the later 330 rack and is infact different from the earliest 330s. so yes he would feel a difference upgrading to the changeover 330 rack & pinion

#21 ·
Anyone know if E9x steering racks would fit? Found out the E92 M3 has a 12.5:1 rack... which would be sweet. I don't see any on ebay, but I'm sure they're out there. Unfortunately the 335 has a 16:1 steering ratio, so that'd actually be a downgrade (I swear the steering felt pretty good when I drove one though)

Looks to be the same general design

#22 ·
Anyone know if E9x steering racks would fit? Found out the E92 M3 has a 12.5:1 rack... which would be sweet. I don't see any on ebay, but I'm sure they're out there. Unfortunately the 335 has a 16:1 steering ratio, so that'd actually be a downgrade (I swear the steering felt pretty good when I drove one though)
just go wih the (Z4MC) Z4-M Coupe's rack, it's basically a direct swap and 12.8 ratio :thumbup:

i know Kevin (aka Kaiv) on the forum did it on his E46 M3 long ago

#37 ·
sorry price is the same as a Comp/CSL steering rack. Did not check what the discounted pricing was.
Price for the ZHP 330i steering rack is $1027. 2 sets of tie rods are $109 each.Total is $1245 to get all 3 parts need. Unless there is a part I missed?

#42 ·
So when did we go off topic here? This is about steering rack not what is on my car. You want to get nit picky wait till I post my build thread then start complaining.

Considering I have everything from the CF roof down I think I qualify. Only thing that will not be the same is the glass, seats, and fuel tank. To change the glass is really a waste cause it scratch's to easy, I needed larger seats so went Recar XL's and frankly I like the longer range fuel tank. All the rest has been changed to the same or upgrade over OE.

#46 ·
The thing about refurbished racks that concerns me is that the actual gearing/mechanisms aren't rebuilt (as far as I know). All they do is reaseal the things (again, as far as I know) so who's to say that you're getting a tight rack? Maybe they check for play/tolerances and only pass off "good" ones?

If anyone can clear that up. Also I'd think BMW racks are remanufactured/rebuilt whereas rack doctor racks are refurbished... which means cleaned, re-sealed, and painted.

#51 ·
So I have been researching the steering racks and have found two different numbers for this part.

Some say the part number is 32132282296 while others say it is 32136757651.

Anybody have confirmation of this.

Found this in an old thread

Part #----------Models Used & ratio
32131096283 Early 323's and 328's (pre-9/98 build) 15.4:1?
32131097315 Most 323's and 328's (9/98 thru 4/99 build) 15.4:1?
32136750200 Overboosted racks (build dates 4/99 to 9/01) unknown
32136753438 Overboosted racks (build dates 4/99 to 9/01) unknown
32136753807 Overboosted racks (build dates 4/99 to 9/01) unknown
32136753853 Overboosted racks (build dates 4/99 to 9/01) unknown
32136755065 Good 325 rack (9/01 build and later) also used on 330 4/01 to 9/01 15.4:1
32136757651 Good 330 rack (9/01 build and later) 15.4:1
32132282296 330 ZHP rack 13.7:1
32132229397 M3 rack 15.4:1
32132282642 M3 comp package or CSL rack 14.5:1

#55 · (Edited)
Found this in an old thread

----------Models Used & ratio
Early 323's and 328's (pre-9/98 build) 15.4:1? (15.5:1)
Most 323's and 328's (9/98 thru 4/99 build) 15.4:1? (15.5:1)
Good 330 rack (9/01 build and later) 15.4:1 (13.7:1)
330 ZHP rack 13.7:1
M3 rack 15.4:1
M3 comp package or CSL rack 14.5:1
as far as i know from my research there are only two ratios for the non-Ms E46s.
one being 15.5:1 and the other 13.7:1. (the 13.7:1 ratio is NOT specific only to the 330-zhp). BMW went to that ratio on the 330s on the '02 model.
the M3 has a 15.4:1 (yes 15.4:1 and not the 15.5:1) or the 14.5:1 in the CSL/ZCP

#68 ·
Ok thanks, that makes sense about the part numbers. However, I am still not convinced about the quickness/tightness issue, and have to disagree with you there. Whenever I drive a ZHP, it feels like there is something about the "rack" itself. I know exactly what to expect from control arms, from shocks, etc. None of them add up to the steering feel of the beast :dunno:

I have also driven 02+ cars, that's I meant with "having owned/driven both".

Looks like you remember me just fine. Then you might also remember me participating in those discussions about the rack. I gave a break for a couple of years, and I'll give it to you, you guys look like you have made some progress about the part numbers, and what they mean.

What is still baffling to me is the steering feel of the ZHP. As I said above, the way I feel when I drive a ZHP forces me to isolate the feel as if it's the rack itself.

So I'm after what exactly is different on a ZHP rack. jpr at one point said it may be about its internal tolerances being tighter. Along these lines, I think it is very plausible that the M-Pack II internals might be the case here, as it does have specific part number for its rack.

And there is no research that has been done on this front, so I'd appreciate if you have something to post other than "part numbers", etc. Here's a thread that came very close to solving the mystery (which I have also participated back in 2008): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283973. People there talk about retro-fit kits, etc.
You've already been proven wrong about this magical ZHP "feel" with respect to the control arms. Remember your arguments? They all got stomped on and left for dead. You then apologized to me and whoever else. Not trying to be hostile, just saying. There's no magic to ZHP parts. I've driven both as well and of course a ZHP will feel "better" than a non-ZHP with the standard control arms and standard suspension. That feel has to do with the solid control arms, nothing more. (as long as you're comparing to a 330 with the "650" rack)

In fact I'll go as far as to say my car feels better than a stock maintained ZHP due to the fact Meyle control arm bushings are stiffer than the stock CABs spec'd for every E46 including the ZHP. Solid vs fluid filled.

It's not because Meyle is a "superior" part or WAY BETTER. it's just the way it's designed.

You can argue your parts are magical all day long but unless you come up with actual information rather than "OMG FEELS SO MUCH BETTER," you're basically arguing santa clause exists simply because you believe it.

Good job Alex and Terra for clearing this up for the millionth time. it's like this Sean guy and ZHP382082 guy have never seen these discussions before despite it being discussed for YEARS. :hmm:

Same ratio, same part #, same sh!t.

#69 ·
In fact I'll go as far as to say my car feels better than a stock maintained ZHP due to the fact Meyle control arm bushings are stiffer than the stock CABs spec'd for every E46 including the ZHP. Solid vs fluid filled.
I'll disagree there. I had both Meyle LCABs and OE LCABs on my ZHP... the latter felt better to me. Admittedly, I'm not sure if the Meyle's I had were the HD variant or not

#52 ·
:popcorn:

#53 · (Edited)
32136757650 is apparently the number for the ZHP rack, for which 5+ pictures are attached in the thread linked. The manufacturing dates for the racks coincide with the ZHP production dates.

Thread: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806967

Part #32132282296 was for the M Sports package II cars manufactured between 04/01-09/01 as per realoem. However, (speculation) there is a good chance that the -650 rack has -296 internals, as the European/Canadian M Sports Pack II and ZHP shared many parts/characteristics. At one point, they were even claimed to be the same package apart from ZHP's aggressive cams(/speculation).

As far as I'm concerned, after actually having owned/driven both cars, the difference in feel is already there. But I hope the link to the thread above will help someone who has to see some part #'s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.