E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Very strange braking problem! Need help!

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ///Flash 
#1 ·
So this started about two weeks ago. Everytime I hit the brake pedal the brakes seem to "pop". I can hear and feel the noise right underneath the drivers side. I tool my car to my mech and he changed out the rotors the pads, and the sway bar bushings, and STILL it's there! I have no idea what it is, and my mech said that it could possibly be the whole control arm, that needs replacing. This problem is making me not want to drive my beautiful car anymore. Please help! Thanks.

#2 ·
Is it only a pop you hear and can you try to describe in more detail?

Do you feel anything? Do you brake straight? Feel any shimmy when braking?

Feel less braking or pulling to one side.

I know you don't want to drive it and don't want you to risk your life or anything, but the more information, the better.

I know brakes are pretty useful!

Just some thoughts...first, hate to say it...maybe another mechanic? Second, maybe brake pads not seated properly...or the clips if not replaced might be worn out?

I also think it's possible that the pop might be something related to balljoint on tie rod end...but that's just a guess if it's not the brakes themselves. Wouldn't have thought of CAs at all...if balljoints were that bad you'd be describing more stuff than just a pop. Maybe if you'd had CABs replaced recently, then maybe the bolts got a little loose and the popping is one side pushing into frame there...but again, think you'd have other issues.

All speculation now, but let's see if we can pin that pop down a tad? Hmmm...have you driven on rocky roads recently? Doesn't sound like a stone stuck in there, but that might be your pop...though doesn't strike me as one...to be honest.

Any other work done recently...general tracking of car?

#3 ·
When I brake I feel like something is either loose, or stuck underneath my drivers side brake pedal. I really don't know how to explain it. My mech said everything looked very tight when he checked the car out. I did recently replace my fcab, about a month ago.

#5 ·
Hmmm...did mechanic bleed the brakes? I'm wondering if maybe air got into the master cylinder or something...so you're going through a pocket of air before you start braking?

Also, I'm going to ignore the driver's side brake pedal comment of yours! LOL

You might also search realoem and look at the diagrams, coz it almost sounds like you're feeling something loose in the pedal and not on the brake/suspension...so I think our poster just above might've been thinking same thing...like some pin or spring in pedal mechanism itself is loose.

Check the diagram...might give you some ideas...coz I'm not hearing anything from you describing issues with the brakes (as in caliper/pads/rotor), but just the pedal...

I've not gotten into this area, so need to beg off from giving you advice...but you could remove panel under your knee and look yourself easily...sounds like that's not been done yet.

#6 ·
Now its gotten worse sometimes when I turn it happens, and now sometimes when I accelerate it happens. Could it be that the FCAB were installed wrong, and something has come loose? Something for sure is loose. I can feel it in the pedal.

#7 ·
I thought maybe the bushing before...but don't guess.

You have ramps to get the car up on...or otherwise figure out a way to look around yourself? You know the undersides of cars at all?

Start looking...and look for things that look odd and trust your instinct.

Depending on what you find, you might not want to go back to mechanic...as I said before.

I did say earlier I was thinking that CAB might be loose...but tie rod end also...look for grease coming from boot...or just a ripped boot...as grease might've left a while ago...

Could be bearing also, but those would be typically in time with wheel rotation and pretty constant...as in once a rotation.

Go easy, be careful...but look first. Also, you might ask a local fanatic to stop by...don't know where you're at, but check in regional forum...check also for recommendations for good indy shops...nice to have dedicated bmw guys looking at some things that are particularly important or troublesome.
Otherwise you risk just throwing parts at the car until one sticks.

HTH...know it really doesn't!

Doug

#8 ·
Dude this problem is still here! This problem just started like a week before I changed the rotors and the pads. Then I told my mech that it was still there, and he suggested changing the sway bar bushings, thinking that would be it. Nope. I changed my FCAB in like February with Meyle ones. Could it be that they came loose? I took it back to my mech about a week ago, and he lifted the car up. He said everything looked very tight, and that he did not know what it was. He told me to "keep driving it, and maybe it would go away" YEAH NO! I can feel it under my feet, and if there is a passenger sitting in the front they have told me that they can feel it as well. I think that it is something to do with the FCAB, because the noise on both the driver and passenger side is coming from directly where they are located. It makes a popping noise. When I brake straight it pops, and its pretty loud. Sometimes when I turn it pops. When I go over a speed bump it pops. It's really annoying. Somebody please help! Thank you so much for all of your input, I really appreciate it!!

#11 · (Edited)
I think I know exactly what your talking about. Look at this video and see if this is what your talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Pw3V8pMeI

I had this problem for almost a year until I saw this video. It makes perfect sense now that I see what it was doing. I had also replaced my stock ones with the Meyle HD bushings and less than 10,000 miles later they were already like this. Never getting them again.

#13 ·
tinkwithanr dude that was my exact problem! I literally have not driven on my Meyle HD FCAB for like over 1000 miles, God what garbage. I definitely wont be buying those again. Can anyone recommend any particular brands of FCAB. OEM? Powerflex? Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it. Now I can drive my car!

#14 ·
Glad to hear it. I just replaced mine with some Rogue Engineering ones (Their street compound) and so far so good. They are more pricey than the powerflex, but I liked how solid the design was compared with some of the other brands. Just do a search for fcab's and a lot of options should pop up. I'd said either straight OEM from tischer or azautohaus or even the Rogues or Powerflex. I'd stay away from the meyle (obviously) and the UUC hybrid as it's had a lot of compatibility issues.

Also just an fyi, you are fine to drive your car until you get this fixed. That being said I wouldn't leave it like that for to long, but it doesn't take your car out of commission by any means. Like I said I drove like that for almost a year trying to figure out what was causing the problem. I was this close to buying all new calipers and brake lines for up front.

Any questions or thoughts feel free to pm me, I just did this install this past weekend so it's pretty fresh in my mind.

#15 ·
Phar,

Bad cabs after 1000 miles? You know, I'm wondering if the mechanic used the wrong type of lube to get the CAs on the bushings?

I'm thinking out loud here, and I think you've replaced them already by now, but if it was me, I think I'd try spraying parts cleaner inside the bushing as best I could to clean out whatever's in there. I believe many use soap...something that will disappear so CA is held firmly. If he used grease, you might be getting the symptoms you've got--not necessarily from a bad bushing...just a bad install.

Don't know that our cars are so different from others where 'grease' might be the thing...but then again, I do know our cars are different...and sensitive to little things done wrong.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.