E46 Fanatics Forum banner

replacing rotors ONLY..is this a silly move?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Cowspoo 
#1 ·
ONLY my front rotors NEED to be replaced

I am considering going with the BMW Performance Rotors and replacing both front and rear BC the rotors on such a crazy sale right now (75/77% off msrp)

Should I go ahead and replace the pads/sensors on all four corners as well while I'm at it or is this overkill for now since there's still "plenty of life" left on them (according to mechanic at RRT)?

#2 ·
I have rarely heard of rotors needing to be replaced without pads, though it is possible if they are scorched or "warped", I say go for it, pads not necessary. And sensors definitely not necessary. In fact I have never replaced sensors on my e46 and now they are tied back because my current pads don't accept them.

#8 ·
If your pads still have "plenty of life left" (I miss the guys at RRT :( ) you can still use them. Get a piece of plate glass and some 120 grit EMORY cloth (not SANDpaper). Sand the pads flat in a circular motion til they are flat and smooth. Mount and motor on for a few hundred miles til the rotors "season" with numerous heat cycles of light/modrate use. Then bed the pads/rotors as usual. Have done this many times, each with great results.

#9 ·
The answer I was hoping to find. Though I might switch the pads to ceramics anyways.

I'm experiencing uneven braking, noticeable at low speeds, faster then slower then faster.

My 3 year old Brembo rotors are wavy and have lips at the end, while the 3 year old pads are still 9-10mm thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.