E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Pinout - Factory Amp HK system E46

52K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mrkprsn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all - I did a ton of searching through forums and Google trying to find a good representation of the wiring of all the speakers coming out of the factory amp. This is beneficial to anyone modifying their system - so they don't have to run speaker wires all over the place.... or try to test which speaker is which with a battery.

Below you will see a list of all speakers, locations, color, and +,- coming out of the factory amp.

Hope this helps someone else.

(Verified with AllData 10.4 and a few sites on the web I found.)

First attachment is just the speaker wires.
Text Font Line Parallel Number

The next four are all pins on the amp. Pulled directly from AllData
Text Font Line Number Parallel

Text Font Line Document Music

Text Font Line Document Number

Text Font Line Number

See less See more
#10 ·
So I cut off the plug that would plug into the factory woofers (Factory woofers have been long gone) so that I could tidy up the underside of the deck area for my Dynamat job that was supposed to ensue later this day. In doing so, I've now blown a fuse and my radio wont turn on. I'm on the way to the hardware store to get some more fuses. But can anyone think of a reason why it would do this? Could it have occurred from the ground an power touching with the wire cutters? I'm hoping I don't have to do any wire tracing.

#12 ·
Harmon Kardon Signal Question

I am new to the e46 M3 so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have been crawling through the forums trying to understad the difference between the Harmon Kardon Business CD system and the regular Business CD head unit. the wiring seems to be quite similar, so I have a question. Are the signal wires from the head unit to the Amplifier line level or speaker level?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to install a Parrot MKi9200 and since Parrot only offers 2 channel line level or 4 chanel speaker level I am trying to find the bext way to integrate.

If the signal from the head unit to the HK amp is speaker level then the integration is easy.

#13 ·
I am new to the e46 M3 so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have been crawling through the forums trying to understad the difference between the Harmon Kardon Business CD system and the regular Business CD head unit. the wiring seems to be quite similar, so I have a question. Are the signal wires from the head unit to the Amplifier line level or speaker level?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to install a Parrot MKi9200 and since Parrot only offers 2 channel line level or 4 chanel speaker level I am trying to find the bext way to integrate.

If the signal from the head unit to the HK amp is speaker level then the integration is easy.
Speaker level

#14 ·
I wanted to chime in and second that the m3 convertible does not match these pinouts. I just finished up my install tonight and was using these diagrams as helpful references though.

I should add that the colors in tenchomermoz's diagram do match, at least the woofers anyway, to the colors in the cabrio, although they are not in the spots the diagram lists.

Also an interesting thing I discovered; the rear stock woofers, at least on my '02 m3 cab, are out of phase with the fronts. I was checking my new front woofers with a Known polarity (AA battery) and I happened to check one of the rear woofers for no reason and when you put Batt+ to the + of the new woofers they move forward, and when you do the same to the stock front woofers they do the same. But if you put Batt+ to what is labeled + (and the wire coloring matches standard bmw brown for ground) on the rear woofers, they move inward. Very odd. I though out of phase was no good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.