E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best way too remove pollen?

18K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris-TK 
#1 ·
Is there anything out there to safely remove pollen from your car without scratching the car at all?

#2 ·
I would just hose it down with water. Wiping it off with a dry towel might scratch it......

Speaking of that. I washed my car yesterday to only find out after school that my car was covered with pollen.........:(

#3 ·
a bucket wash is the best way, but you can do small sections with quick detailer and a clean microfiber towel, whatever you do, its going to be covered again in a couple of days if not a couple of hours

#5 ·
I don't like them, because it just traps the dirt and dust. Only to rub it back on the paint

#6 ·
Safest way is to just wash your car like someone above said. But I'm sure you were looking for a quick way...so, depending on how much pollen is on there, the Quick Detailer spray and a clean microfiber towel would be my suggestion.

#9 ·
if the car isn't dirty, i would say just rinse it and wipe it down with a big soft towel (definitely not terry cloth)

after that you should be good to go with a nice spray wax.......

thats what i would do......... or i would just put a tiny little bit a soap in a bucket and do a really quick wash........

i must say tho, the "california duster" does work wonders..... i don't have one but i have used it before, and it doesn't smutch pollen like a microfiber towel would.......... using a microfiber towel you can definitely feel the tiny surface scratches because pollen is so goddamn sticky

when i use the california duster on my black roof it will show if it really works or not

#10 ·
No matter how soft of a towel you use simply wiping will do more harm than good. Also just rinsing your car off will lead to water spots and potential water etching. The fastest safe and proper method would be to do an ONR wash. A car like an e46 can be washed in about 40-50 minutes with it, if not quicker. It's quick, easy, safe and relatively inexpensive. I actually use it as my primary wash method on my jet black car when the sun is out. Keeps me from having to fight water spots.

#12 · (Edited)
i'm seriously considering getting one of these:

http://crspotless.com/

i would use the filtered water this unit provides as my final rinse during a regular wash, filtered water means i can just let the car air dry w/o the worry of water spots - saves time and avoids scratching. but it can also be used to rinse off the pollen and other loose dirt - just rinse the car at night, stick it in the garage and have a non-pollen car in the morning.

there is a group buy over on the detailing bliss forum.

#14 ·
never seen that....but damn its kind of pricey...looks awesome though.
I know in home depot you can buy a filter for your entire house...you connect it from the main water pipe coming into the house...this way all the water in the house is filtered...toilet..sink...showers...etc etc...its awesome and cost alot less then that...but im not sure if will guarantee a spotless car wash

#13 ·
if your car is cleaned and waxed then you can wipe off the pollen with a detail cloth....i have a cloth that shines and removes pollen as well...forgot whats its called...it has a picture of a camel and a 5 series on the front of it....works great...if your car is dirty and you have pollen and you want to wipe it off then i would recommend washing it....the dirt on the car can scratch the paint when trying to wipe the pollen off...but pollen being wiped off on a cleaned waxed car with a cloth would not scratch your car.

#15 ·
just try to keep it indoors as much as possible and, when it gets to the point you have to clean it, do a full wash.... no sense scratching your car permanently to get rid of pollen temporarily :thumbup:

#18 ·
The CRSpotless system is an outstanding way to wash your vehicle safely when pollen builds up. It's filtered water that won't leave watermarks on the surface. Therefore you can rinse the vehicle off and walk away and you're all set. They are also great for washing windows. It's certainly not cheap but anyone who uses one will swear by the results. There is a wall mounted unit and one that comes with a set of wheels. If anyone has any questions about these units please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

#19 ·
Living in the Evergreen State I know the complications of pollen. I hate swirling marks so I usually wash my car instead of using a 'dry' towel, no matter how much or how little pollen accumulates on the car. Spend the time and do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.