E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The Ultimate Re-Bling Your Chrome Window Trim Thread

21K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  khmccann 
#1 · (Edited)
First let me apologize for some of the pictures being very large, but I'm not at my normal computer so I'm unable to resize them. Also I know some of them came out very bright and you really can't see ****, oh well... I'll take some better ones later.

So I've searched and seen a lot of guys with the same problem I had with the chrome window trim being very white faded, dull, stained, and chalky looking. Like this...

I couldn't find anything to restore the trim that worked so I started looking online and found this website.

http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/

I bought a bottle of the polish/sealer to try it out.

I applied it like the directions said and videos on the website show with the steel wool that came with the polish. Then wiped it off with the red rag. I barely had enough to do all the trim. I had to rub like hell and do each sectioned off area at least 5 times. Each side of the car took about an hour or more. Onto the pictures.

The rear part of the trim before hand

Just getting started with the Gord's

And after several repeated passes

After doing the middle area...

Here's the front part of the trim before

And after

And finally here a shot of the drivers side complete. Keep in mind before I did this it looked just like the passenger side does

The pictures don't do it that great of justice so I will try to get some better ones. I had to rub like hell and this process is a lot of work but as you can see it works. The more you apply the polish the better and better it will get. It didn't restore it back to a mirror quality chrome finish like the newer cars have, however it looks more like a highly polished aluminum and cleans the metal up very well restoring the shine back to it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here are better pictures that show the results. Some were taken with the flash on, others off. These should give you a better idea of the final result.

#8 ·
big bump! i have tried several times to find something that could bring the shine back into my chrome and NOTHING worked ... until i came across this thread two weeks ago. i ordered the gord's polish (29.99 + shipping) and voila ... now instead of my chrome looking like it's 7+ years old, the new shine has returned.

i highly recommend gord's ... it comes with a fine piece of steel wool. use a shop wrag to apply the polish. go over it with the steel wool they provide while the polish is still wet. let dry completely. buff it out by hand. repeat as necessary. took about 3 passes to look like new again.

and fyi, i also tried 'never dull' previously ... and after about 6 passes of that with very, very little effect, i pitched it in the garbage. gord's FTW!

#10 ·
2 years later, still looking great! My car isn't garaged either, it stays parked outside. I don't want the garage pics to mis-lead anyone.

#15 ·
If you can feel the scratches with your finger nail, they prolly wont come out. I have some on mine that even after gords are still there. That may require sanding/polishing

#22 ·
Am I mis-informed that the trim is a anodizing? Is it actually chrome? I was talking to a very high end car shop about painting me car and we got on the topic of the trim. He told me that it is a anodizing not chrome which is very thin which is why the scratches and such show up so well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.