E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best Clay Bar

10K views 23 replies 24 participants last post by  BMWintoxication 
#1 ·
For the money that is, And what do you use as a lube with it?

#3 ·
Meguires works very well. They sell it as a kit that comes with the clay and the lubricant which is just their easy on easy off quick detailing spray. The spray has a bit of wax in it.

Autozone used to sell it but I haven't found it in my local stores lately.
I tried the new one they carry called "clay magic". It works just as well as the Meguires.

TT

#5 ·
I second the Griots clay. I've used the Mothers Cali Gold clay & compared to the Griots clay it's like rubbing a brick on the car. The Griots clay is really soft & works very well.

#7 ·
i use only the griots clay bar (along with their wax & polishes) and its the best i've ever used. i used meguiars on my car last fall and it totally scratched up my car....and yes, i did use plenty of quick detailer and a fresh portion. its just that griots clay is alot softer and not as aggressive. also, if u get some residue on a dry section of the car, it wipes up alot easier than meguiars.

#18 ·
These are the one that I've tried.

Mothers: Easily found at most Pep Boys or Autozone. Easy to use and comes with a great smelling Peppermint QD. Downside is that I don't think the abrasives in the clay are fine enough and it takes a little bit of time to get the lube going to make it soft.

Clay Magic: Also readily available at most car parts stores. Finer abrasive than Mothers easier to get it lubed up. Downside is that the bottle of QD lube is so damn tiny it'll only last one usuage.

Meguiars: The clay crumbles very easily once it gets QD in it. I wouldn't use it again.

#22 ·
Choosing the right clay depends on preference. I hear the Meguiars detailer clay, ClayMagic, Mother's Clay Kit, and other work good. Some are hard, some are soft. YOu also have to factor in pricing and availability. It really depends what you like.

I hear the Pinnacle Bars break and also do not work very well. Also the Meguiars Clay bar kit from WalMart was not bad from my experience, however some say it is the worst. Depends on you perspective

#23 ·
I have Mother's clay that's been sitting in my house for about six months. This morning I got motivated so I put the clay on my car for the first time.

Oh my god, I never thought there were anything that can make the paint so smooth. Just like a brand new car at the autoshow. It felt so good that I can't stop putting my hands on my car. Almost as good as your hands over a nice girl's butt cheek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.