E46 Fanatics Forum banner

IDMAX or 12W7?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  CrazyBimmer 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a pair of 12" subs but I'm still debating over the IDMax or the JL 12W7......

Any experience, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
Wow....I honestly didn't know W7's were better.....

thanks guys for the input

need to do some research on the W7's now

I'm thinking of getting two PG Ti500.4's, one to power the subs and one for the front stage. Front stage will prolly be Focal 165W's.

You guys think the 500.4 will have enough power to power 2 12W7's?

Thanks again

#5 ·
The 500.4 is not nearly enough to power 1 w7. They are power hungry subs that need AT LEAST 750 watts a piece to get them to their potential. Id put around 8-900 if i were u into each sub because if you pay so much for those subs you want to enjoy them at their full potential. Good luck:thumbup:

#6 · (Edited)
Whoa....that's a lot of power and prolly out of my budget

I might have to just stick with the IDMax then.

You think a 500.4 could power 2 12" IDMAX's? If not, what amps would be recommended if the intent is 2 12's. My preference is PG amps....but it seems that a lot people here praise the JL amps.

OR should I consider one 13W7 and get a PG Ti800.1?

Help is appreciated.

Thx

#7 ·
If you are gonna go with idmaxes, you will need to give each sub 1000 watts. If you go with jl w7 12, each should get 800-900 watts, and if you go with one 13 w7, you will need to give about 1000 but i would give about 1200 watts or somthing in that range. I cant think of amps of the top of my head but you will need amps that produce 1000+ because you are talking about serious subs here.

#11 ·
On top of not putting out enough power, the Phoenix Gold amp you're talking about is a 4 channel amp and isn't made for subwoofers. For 12" W7s, I normall recommend the 1001BD from Rockford Fosgate or the 1000/1 from JL. Phoenix Gold amps are super duper clean, but they don't put out alot of power. If you want to go with Phoenix Gold, you would want the Ti800.1 or the Ti1000.2.

#13 ·
Thx for the input guys. I think I'm narrowing it down now. The plan is one 13W7 or 12W7 (depending on how much diff. there is) powered by a Ti800.1

As for the front, 165W's powered by 500.4 (bridged). Any comments on the front setup? Is a bridged setup not as good? Is there enough power from the 500.4 (rated at 250x2).

Again thanks for any input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.