E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Clearly HID kits are NOT made for E46 BMW's.

65K views 67 replies 15 participants last post by  Frisco Dee 
#1 ·
So I have some to the conclusion that there is no way to fit the H7 HID into the existing housing, normal cars have little buble type retainers that hold the back of the bulb in while BMW have an "L" shaped screwing mechanism. **** it, anyone know what i'm talking about?

#42 ·
Seems this thread has got a 2nd wind. Anyway just to update u people. I did install the HIDs in halogen housing and to my suprise they are not TOO blinding (As I have driven infront of my car in another E46 and it wasn't too bad).

2ndly I am ordering some P46's from Umnitza this friday, so hopefully one of the guys over there will return my message I left over the long holiday weekend :hi:

#44 ·
If you optimize the focal point by using washers around the bulb base, you might be able to retain alot of the OEM beam pattern (I experiemented with this to a certain extent) but I ran out of washers (I only used two washers on the bulb). Glarewise, I couldn't tell you because I never mounted it on the car. I can show you what I mean, I'll take pictures tomorrow with my HID kit in OEM halogen housings.

#52 ·
There is no way I could adjust my headlights IMO. Unless I'm missing something or am horribly confused. I actually had to shove the rubber boot in to the bulb holder adapter to get it to stay in the housing. Basically It's an "O ring" with the rubber boot shoved into it. My dad told me it would never hold, suprisingly over speed bumps and 80+ MPH driving (no together of course) LOL they havn't even budged.

#55 ·
Bmw Loe,

I do have a problem with the battery..no sure if I solved it yet or not...
I connected the LED type angel eyes..directly to the red with yellow dot wire in the electrnoic box, and grounded the other wire to the negative output of the battery in the engine compartment.
I was wondering if this causes any trouble?
By the way.. I did a direct connecion the yellow dot wire from my angel LED yellowish angel eyes, meaning no relay in the middle, or anything.

Dont know why, I took it to a auto store for battery checking..and they said the battery and alternator are working fine. But yesterday after installing( I disconnected the negative of the battery while working) , the car would not start and had to be jump started.

I m hoping nothing is wrong, please advice

Nan

#57 · (Edited)
I have no experience with LED lights to date. My suggestion would be to dig around the LED section on www.HIDplanet.com, there is a lot of information in that section and the HID university section. I would imagine the use of a relay would serve its purpose.

PhillyKatBMW said:
BMWLoe....can you show us the picture of the optimized (washered) hid kit in the halogen headlights? If only the cutoff line was preserved, would I use a hid kit.
I'll get pictures up after work tonight if possible.

#58 ·
Not sure if the original issue (how to fit H7 HID bulbs securely) was sorted out as things got a bit confusing halfway through the thread.

I modified my original bulb holder to allow the installation of H7 HID bulbs. It was really easy, only took about 20 mins.

Cut off the angled bit of the holder

Then use a hole saw to drill out the back of the holder

Feed the bulb wires through and secure with supplied rubber plug

Fit the bulbs back in the housing (mount the ballasts wherever suits you)

End result

If anyone thinks it looks like crap etc etc *yawn*, then don't look at the picture. Chances are you won't ever see my car on the road unless you happen to do lots of driving in Northwest England. If you still worry about the safety of other road users here, I am planning to upgrade to OEM bi-xenons as soon as I can find a set for a good price.

#59 ·
Folks, I have a question regarding the computer error I get after installing HID kit into a non-projector halogen headlights. When the headlight is off and I am driving, the computer tells me there is some error in the headlights. After I turn on the low beam lights, the error message dissapears.

How to get rid of this error message? Kinda annoying and weird...

Will appreciate your help.

#67 ·
oks guys i read it all but a lot of things i didnt nderstand it so i will ask if somebody can explain it to me in spanish please... i will put this in spanish so help me someone,... que es lo que pasa si yo instalo un kit de hid h7 en mi bmw sedan es un 328i pero no tiene proyectores ni lupas, entoncs q pasa , porque lo que estoy leyendo dice q no se puede poner un kit de h7 de hid porque no le quedan a las farolas originales, es eso vdd o como le hacen entonces los que no cambian sus farolas y nada mas quieren tener hids ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.