E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Blasting the carbon out of your car

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Grendelsbane 
#1 · (Edited)
So...I've been told that every once in awhile one should take your car up to speed to blow the carbon build up out of it. My question is approximately, and this is just for my education mind you, how fast and for how long? :D

#3 ·
Not really necessary anymore now that cars are fuel injected. Used to provide good results back in the days of carburetors. I guess deposits could still be an issue if you shift at really low RPMs or drive the car sparingly. It's not necessarily bringing the car up to speed, but the engine. Just let it wind out in a gear. Don't know how much good it will do in a normally driven fuel injected car, but it can't hurt and it's fun so go for it.

#8 ·
Yeah, but for how long and how fast?

#11 ·
While running the M3 up to redline is a blast, the old so-called "Italian tune-up" is not necessary on any modern car. Back in the days before EFI, cars were fed their intake mixtures through carburetors, which were inherently imprecise when it came to fuel mixtures. High performance cars were typically jetted to run rich at idle to ensure sufficient fuel at high speeds. The rich mixtures tended to foul things up at idle speeds, which is why people with sporting cars would repeatedly blip their throttles at stop lights. A period of high speed running would clear everything up. This isn't necessary anymore, as our cars have computer controlled intake mixtures fed through electronic injectors. Fuel mixtures are precisely measured at all engine speeds, and fouling of plugs and carbon buildup is no longer a problem.

#12 ·
Oh...well that's very informative! Here I have been telling my buddy I had to drive like that! :lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.