E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My build/progress thread of old and new ride (formerly SH330CI, lots of pics)

6K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  S85FTW 
#1 · (Edited)
I have realized after all these years I never got around to making my own build thread so I will mash the old and new ride into one. I bought my 04 330CI ZHP TIAG June 25th, 2008 CPO from a friends bmw dealership with 32k miles on the vehicle. Since then it has been on a long journey and endured 4 years of several trips to and from Michigan (to see my family and my fiance(now wife) in dental school in Michigan). I sold it at 111k miles. Below you will see pics of my mods through the years.

The day I bought it

1st Mod (Rac Dyn Air Intake, AEM dryflow installed and rac dyn rear strut brace both not pictured)

2nd Mod (Angel Eyes)

3rd Mod (M3 Seats)

4th (M3 Wheels)

5th (Slotted Rotors all around and Pagid Performance brake pads)
6th (Black rear diffuser)

7th (CSL Rep Wheels)

8th (CF Hood)

9th (Headers)

10th (BC coilovers)

11th (new zhp shift knob)

12th (leather wheel)

13th (arqray lip)

14th (CSL trunk)

15th (CSL Center Console)

16th
Depo Smoked Tails (oem tails separated and leaked)

17th (BBS Style 5s 18")

Last but not least this was the way it looked the way I sold it: (minus the style 5s, vid below)

A list of the maintenance it underwent during the 4 years 2 months of ownership.

Control Arms and Bushings Changed under warranty August 2008
Flashed with updated DME before sold to me.
CPO Warranty Expired August 2011
Oil Changed Every 7500 Miles
Brakes Replaced and Upgraded with Slotted Stop Tech rotors and pads at 80k miles
DISA valve replaced @ 82k miles.
Polyurethane Rear Trailer Arm Bushings at 90k.
Crankshaft position sensor 93k.
New NGK Iridium Spark Plugs and Valve Cover Gasket @ 93k.
New Battery at 100k.
Water Pump Replaced at 103k miles.
Water Pump Pulley replaced at 103k miles.
Control Arm and Bushings replaced again at 104k miles.
Alignment done @ 106k miles.
02 bypass done @ 107k miles.

Now my wife was bugging me to get my next car since January but our wedding was in April so I wanted to keep that cash aside just in case some unforeseen expenses occurred. Well, after my wedding I started my hunt for my next car and I found it in NC thanks to posting a WTB thread on M5board. I was not going to waiver on the ext/int color combo I wanted. Interlagos Blue/Silverstone Leather interior. I finally found an 07 with 56k miles still under warranty. SMG pump just replaced, new clutch new battery.

All maintenance done at BMW. Good to go! I took the zhp on one final ride to pick up my new ride. I must admit, it was an emotional rollercoaster going down with the zhp because I had so many fond memories in it. Hell I took my wife on our first date in it. As soon as I arrived in Wilmington NC and I saw my new car and its former owner waiting at the Holiday inn parking lot for me all those sad feelings washed away. This car is amazing! The blue pops in person so much so that taking photographs does not do it justice. The car is pristine inside and out and has a Dinan exhaust, 12mm spacers all around, and an Eibach sport spring kit on it. The roar of the engine is bonerworthy. Here it is as she sits today.

All I plan on doing is an AFE stage 2 intake and maybe a chip. So far I have put in new brake pads, oil change, and resonator delete. A long read but I feel worth it. Hope you enjoy!

See less See more
#12 ·
eBay headers, I got lucky bc all flanges lined up correctly and the bungs for the 02 sensors. Only problem was the last bolt hole on the manifold was off by 2mm so I had to drill the header hole a bit to get it to line up perfect. Other than that ended up being a great bang for buck mod.

#15 ·
Update, I pulled the trigger on a res delete since I had leaks around it on the stock welds somehow. Below are two vid clips of what it sounds like now.

I also sourced a set of badly curbed style 95s. Refinished them and painted them in glossy white bc I think they would look great on Interlagos Blue. I am still 50/50 on whether I should put these on the car as I am not crazy about departing from the oem look.

#19 ·
Some updates on my car, today took it to Pruven Performance down the road here in Milford to get some baseline numbers before I throw in my custom stage 3 intake and eurocharge tune. Not sure if most of you know, but my current setup is basically bone stock, except for Dinan Exhaust and Resonator delete. Most intake systems out there dyno a loss to a minimal gain for the S85 (1-2hp max). However there has been a stage 3 intake system that retails for about $1500 - $2000 that creates a true cold air intake system with the cones sitting behind the kidney grills. Problem is, these systems utilize very cheap parts (ie. no name filters, rubber elbows) to maximize the profits of their systems. I went ahead and built my own system, nearly identical to theirs for a fraction of the cost. Not only is it cheaper, but I am utilizing two billet aluminum maf flanges, two AEM dry flow 3"x5" cones and blue silicone elbows rather than rubber, creating a higher end product. Next week I will dyno with just the cones, and the week after with the tune as well. If my results are as expected, I will begin to produce and sell these intakes on my own. Without further adue, the dyno videos and numbers.

Dynojet Dyno Runs
First Run 393 whp (realized he only ran to 8000 instead of 8200)

Second Run 419 whp

Third Run 419 whp

After SAE Correction numbers came out to 411whp however we could not get a good reading on the torque. The individual running the dyno said that sometimes you need to pop the housing off of one of the coil packs to get an accurate reading bc bmw insulates their coils heavily making it difficult to read. Next week I will be doing another three runs with the Stage 3 intake system on, then another 3 runs after the tune the week after that. I am trying to prove that this system is worthwhile. If my assumptions are correct we should look at around a 5whp gain without a tune and a significant bump with a tune. I will also try to get the torque reading issues worked out. Any input from any of you guys to try and get an accurate torque reading with a dynojet?

#23 ·
After spending all day removing my oem intakes, removing my headlight, removing my grills, cutting aluminum, getting my maf flanges welded on, test fitting everything; It is finally alive! My custom built dual cold air intake system utilizing two AEM dry flows has come to be. First thoughts are worries for hydrolocking but I have never heard of someone hydrolocking their motor without submerging the intakes in water. At long last, here are the pictures.

After test fitting was complete, time to weld on the flanges. fasten everything in place and GO.

#24 ·
Congratulations on the purchase, sir. From the looks of it, your ZHP had some identity issues, and I'm sure it costed you. Certainly not cheap to paint your car 3 times and change the rims 3 times as well. I would have kept the CSL wheels and kept the rest clean and unpainted. As for the M5; such a gorgeous car, but I hope the trend doesn't continue from your ZHP to your M. The Air Ducting may be practical, and may look good now...but down the road it will get old very fast, not to mention it does have a cheesiness factor, and people who admire cars, hate custom. Custom can be hit and miss. I mean, this car is gorgeous, and you really don't need to do much to it. Keep in mind less is more. Don't go over the top, because this isn't as cheap as the ZHP when it comes to playing around and modding things many times over. Be wary friend. Good luck with build.

#25 ·
I appreciate the cautionary response. However, through five years, a persons identity can change, let alone their vehicle. Everyone performs mods that are hit or miss and that's the beauty of modding, a car is always a work in progress. To be honest, I loved the look of my ZHP the most right before I sold it, slightly modded, dropped and on BBS style 5s. I am picking up where I left off with the last look of my 330. My m5 is dropped, exhaust, intakes and will most likely only see a tune and headers very soon. I love the color too much to risk throwing any cf parts on an already fast car. My "custom" intake was modeled after a $2000 intake system available overseas. It is the only system to see significant gains on the s85. All welds performed by a moroso master welder, tig welded aluminum on aluminum. I actually went ahead and used better parts than that $2000 system (they used rubber elbows, Injen filters, etc). I utilized aluminum piping with silicone elbows and aem dry flows. All other intake systems have dyno'd a loss to minimal gains by still utilizing the space in the engine bay thus getting heatsoaked. Thanks for the input but you don't have to worry about this car getting covered in carbon. Only performance mods here. Oh and as for 3 different sets of wheels I like variety and can't promise my M5 will only see stock wheels, maybe BBS, maybe Rays, well see....no reps allowed.

#28 · (Edited)
Another update...received a eurocharged tune and man this thing is a monster! Combine with the intakes, exhaust and res delete I am positive to be picking up a ton of horsepower here. I broke loose on the highway at 70mph today. Below is a crappy quick video but you get the idea.

#30 ·
While waiting for my MyGenius unit to arrive next week, I decided to go ahead and take my car down to Proformance Industries in New Rochelle to get my wheels powdercoated. I decided I wanted to give the OEM wheels a unique look rather than go aftermarket. The color they powdercoated the wheels is a two stage color called ghost chrome. This is basically a fully customizable color where there is a brilliant black base coat then a metallic silver overlay. The amount of silver overlay you use will determine how dark or how light your wheels will come out. I went with the darker look and I love it. These guys do an amazing job. The color has so much depth and pop that pictures do not do it justice.

#31 ·
While waiting for my MyGenius unit to arrive next week, I decided to go ahead and take my car down to Proformance Industries in New Rochelle to get my wheels powdercoated. I decided I wanted to give the OEM wheels a unique look rather than go aftermarket. The color they powdercoated the wheels is a two stage color called ghost chrome. This is basically a fully customizable color where there is a brilliant black base coat then a metallic silver overlay. The amount of silver overlay you use will determine how dark or how light your wheels will come out. I went with the darker look and I love it. These guys do an amazing job. The color has so much depth and pop that pictures do not do it justice.
I would be careful, especially on a track. Don't want the wheels cracking.

#33 ·
Another little update...Friday I will be getting my final correct tune from Jerry @ Eurocharged to accomodate the extra air flow for my intakes. Also I have taken the time to purchase a few things to get her back into tip top shape after the winter has treated her a bit unfairly. I will be purchasing an 04-06 Cayenne as my winter beater/dd and will be taking the M out only in nice weather from here on out. I also will be taking the car into Endless Details shortly to get the car fully detailed and to get some rock chips touched up on the front bumper/hood. I went ahead and bought the following little items to refresh the look of the M for the upcoming season.

I went ahead and bought new M stickers for the steering wheel and wheels to replace the tired and faded oem logos.
Rectangle Electric blue Pattern

Same with the M5 logos for the fender grills.
Emblem Font Logo Badge Symbol

Some nice locking M valve stem caps to replace the plain plastic ones.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Product Auto part

Aluminum M logo's for the floor mats to cover up the tired faded M5 logo on the driver and passenger mats.
Font Badge Emblem Rectangle Automotive exterior

Some brushed aluminum vinyl wrap to cover up the peeling window switches and the area surrounding the steering wheel buttons. It should match perfectly.
Auto part

And finally two nice driving T shirts.
T-shirt Black Clothing Active shirt Sleeve

Will post up pics after the detail and install.

#36 · (Edited)
Thanks to a member on M5board, I was able to source a new upper and lower housing for my passenger mirror for $200 shipped since it was hit Saturday night at the devils game. Once it arrives I will take it to a body shop around the corner to have the housing painted. Once completed I will have them install it.

Now I am sitting on a set of CF mirror covers from Autocarbon that I purchased as a temporary fix until the mirror is painted. However, these things just arrived and I have to remove the mirrors to install the covers. :facepalm:

I installed my tire valves today as well as some new M logos for the floor mats. I could not justify buying another set of floor mats just because the M5 logo was a little ratty while the mats as a whole were still in good shape. Here are pics of the locking M caps installed and the floor mat logo's.

I also just received V3 of my tune from Eurocharged so I will give that a try tonight/tomorrow.

#38 ·
I was just going to post that if you find me a set for $150 I will be all over them. I decided to hop over to ebay and found a set for $140 shipped. Now these will be my winter mats haha.

As for the caps being cheesy I disagree, the silver valve caps go really well with my silver studs.

#41 ·
******INTAKE UPDATE******
I have finally gotten my custom intake systems to work and work efficiently. The intakes finally design now works with a stock Ecu and the eurocharged tune. All it took was some tweaking of the whole systems diameter and finally got all of the kinks worked out. Not only have I got the system working properly, but in conjunction with Jerry's Eurocharged tune this system is absolutely amazing. the sound, the pull, the idle, the downshift pops, all perfect. I should mention that Jerry from Eurocharged did put in a lot of effort working with me in order to create a file that would work with system. After 3 different revisions, and no success, I knew it was something minor with my design. After triple checking EVERYTHING, I noticed a slight error in a calculation in the diameter of my maf tubing, after correcting that, all problems gone and the car runs like a dream. I will now be going to the dyno tomorrow to get after numbers. Once I achieve numbers I suspect, I will be selling these systems for well under ASR and Efren's pricing. Also the product would look a little more finished, with brushed aluminum piping or powdercoat options for the buyers as well as different color choices for the elbows/fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.