E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
bk_856er

My Ride: BMW
BM53 replacement options

Seems my '03 E46 BM53 radio needs replacing. Nav is fine.

- rebuilt/dealer = ~$500 + $500 core
- new/dealer = ~$650
- aftermarket = varies

Anyone have any experience with the BMW remanufactured units?

Tempted to use the opportunity to go aftermarket and modernize features, but kinda like the simplicity of stock.

BK
bk_856er is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
It's know which chips need replacing or sometimes just resoldering. Lots of that goes on in Europe.
People even sell repair kits and there are garageistas who do repair services in UK.

But here in the US we use the bm54 iirc amd they rarely if ever go bad.

You could always buy the match pp82 and pnp harness also.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 04-16-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
randy72877

My Ride: 01 330 sport 5m sil/
You could probably get a good used one on ebay for cheap. Lots of junkyards sell parts there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
randy72877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
bk_856er

USA is BM53 like mine as far as I can tell. I've seen all the repair videos and fix services. Not too appetizing and I do plenty of soldering and assembly.

Pages of BMW on the bay for the same $295. Everyone seems to have adopted the same "value" by lookup, lol. I'd pay ~$100 for some unknown part with unknown life left. Beyond that I'd rather go for the dealer rebuild.

Seems BMW doesn't move many of the BM53 radios judging from the response here and also the general section. Dynavin is sounding pretty good about now.

BK
Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Onizukachan

You are correct, I got the 54 amd 53 backwards.

54s fail... a lot. 53 don't. First failure I've ever heard of.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 04-17-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
There are a number of replacement boards for the final output stage that often dies on these. The new board sits above the tuner module and is reasonably straight forward if you have a steady hand for soldiering. You'll also get a slight upgrade in sound quality as the final stage in the bm53/54s is very average.

Other thing you could consider is RCA modding the tuner and use aftermarket amps and speakers. I found the sound quality jumped on my system when I did this earlier in my car stereo build.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
bk_856er

Replacement output stage = class D amp modules air wired to the main board like in the BM54 youtube videos? I've built a bunch of speaker amps based on similar TI class D chips and they can perform surprisingly well. Even have my own reflow oven for SMD-heavy projects. Looking for easy/predictable on this one - family car. I have the "hi-fi" amp which the BM53 evidently feeds with high-level signal.

BK
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #8
Onizukachan

If you haven't seen Neal's DIYMA build thread, look for it, amazing stuff!

Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
nealfromnz

BK, you've got it (YouTube bids) and sound like your more than up for it.

So you haven't said what's wrong with the bm53. I'm guessing final output stage or hifi amp issue. Just check the basics first as the square BM53 main connector also carries two further connectors. These connectors can dislodge giving symptoms similar to final of a failed output stage. Check these first.

The amp can be checked in the usual ways ,but adding some noise to the four audio inputs is a quick way to check.

Next is the bm53. Take it out of the rack unplug and pop its lid off. Plug it back in again. Grab something like a headphone amp and chop the ends off an RCA lead. You can check each of the output stages before it hits the final audio stage ( final stage outputs roughly +/- 4.2 volts btw)

Play some music via the bmw53 and check for audio output at the 4 blocking capacitors after the opamps(the 4558s after the dsp chip) If your getting good audio to the point then its point at the then its most likely the final output stage that's failed.

Connect headphone amp input to each of the smd caps I've highlighted with arrows (these are the same points for adding RCA unbalanced outputs btw)

If this is all good then look for an output replacement board ( check for quality components) and your unit should be god again.

Last edited by nealfromnz; 04-22-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
nealfromnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
If you haven't seen Neal's DIYMA build thread, look for it, amazing stuff!
Cheers man ***55357;***56835;
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
bk_856er

Great info - thanks.

Maybe I'll put some work into the BM53. I have it out on my bench with the top off. Already been over it under magnification.

Symptoms over the course of about a year were longer and longer periods (days/weeks) where the radio (any sound) didn't work. Discovered that disconnected the battery for a bit would restore normal behavior for a month or so. Coincidentally, a family member has an E46 and her radio was "repaired" by me with a battery disconnect. Weird. Anyway, then more recently started getting additional problems like random high volume squealing out of the front speakers with the radio OFF and not even touching it. No response to radio controls. Took the BM53 out and the Nav has been fine and no further gremlins. Good to know about the plugs becoming problematic.

I have two of these very nice class D amps I made up that would be great candidates. Probably even more watts than the HiFi amp:

And this seems to be the pinout for bench testing:

BK
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
nealfromnz

You've got it. Note that the boardmonitor / tape input is balanced audio when you test
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
nealfromnz

Btw, the bm53 never turns off. It makes its self available for audio signal routing such as telephone module (signal mutes audio mixing) or nav module where it will mix audio depending on source selected (eg navy instructions over the top of CDC player.

This will be why you were getting sound when you think its off.

Btw , saw this thread a few years back. Its mainly about the bm54 but the bm53 is very similar and learnt quite a bit from it.

https://xoutpost.com/electronics/nav...bm54-unit.html

The other one was on the hifi amp and some background on its behaviour
https://www.bmwgm5.com/Stereo_Amp.htm
And this one on modding
https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/E46_10-ch_Amp_Mod.htm

Last edited by nealfromnz; 04-22-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
Onizukachan

Wow, great info!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
bk_856er

Great to have a lot of this info/links consolidated here. I had to search quite a bit for relevant BM53 and hifi amp info.

BK
Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
bk_856er

After visual inspection of the BM53 boards under magnification (no obvious problems like cold joints or burned components) I reinstalled today. Also plugged/unplugged the Hi-Fi amp connector a few times. Radio now turns on, but gives a steady ~1khz tone on FM that tracks with volume knob movement. AM works normally, as does NAV voice. Unplugged the single antenna (?) connector at the BM53 lower left and lost AM completely (I think I also tested FM and it was quiet, but don't remember).

Most likely the family had kept the radio on FM and that's why it either didn't work or gave a loud screeching noise.

Does the continuous tone with FM suggest a problem beyond the BM53? Any tests I could perform to isolate the problem? What's up with what looks like an antenna amplifier above the NAV DVD unit, and any relation to FM signal?

BK

Last edited by bk_856er; 04-23-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
nealfromnz

So the antenna module is in the left hand c pillar above the seatbelt reel .

These can fail and are powered by the white wire that also turns the amp on ( maybe causes amp to power off) the other issue could be dry joints on the windscreen connectors causing fm issues

Picture from my car stereo build. Module can be seen above seatbelt reel

Last edited by nealfromnz; 04-24-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
bk_856er

Thank you nealfromnz!

Mine is a little different (wagon) - see pic.

Ah, so the FM antenna is part of the window.

I disconnected each of the 4 wires to the little black box (presumably an antenna amplifier for AM/FM/GPS) one by one and tested for FM screech. No change, even with all 4 disconnected.

I think this rules out the black box as being the culprit. The BM53 also has radio sections on the board, under a metal shield. My guess is something in that subsection is faulty.

*edit* Just discovered CD input causes the same 1kHz tone as FM, so the fault is not limited to FM. This is the headunit/display CD - I don't have the CD changer option.

BK

Last edited by bk_856er; 04-23-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
nealfromnz

Would pay to check the Nav as well just to eliminate it from causing the 1k tone. Remember that the bm53 will audiomix the Nav with radio / cd inputs selected. Try turning down or turn off Nav announcements in the systems setting via your settings menu.

I'm thinking if a balanced audio input has one wire disconnected you'll end up hearing noise from the wiring.

Starting to run out of options. I'd check every pin on the main connector to ensure none are bent and also check the audio output caps to see if the 1k tone is present before the final stage.

Last edited by nealfromnz; 04-23-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #20
bk_856er

NAV volume is lowest possible in the settings menu. No option to turn it "off" as far as I can see. Updated the NAV firmware a few years ago and likely a fairly recent version if not the most recent for MkIV. Here's a funny thing - the nice lady says "louder" or "softer" but her volume is same at the highest and lowest settings. Since we've owned the car (10+ yrs) the NAV volume has always been fixed and too high.

BK