E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #61
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
323cic with b28 engine, ported head, b30 intake ,headers( no kat ) and 3.38 diff.

Stock b28 injectors, stock ecu map (Planned to downgrade to eu2)
Unfortunately the ms42 develop is not like ms43...
Honestly its pretty easy to replicate all changes from MS43 to MS42. Blue302 seems to be running ISAless, so even that is possible.

The problem is, there is no one stupid enough to invest several hundred hours of computer work to do the same for MS42 like i did initially for MS43. If you are on that same level, people with knowledge and interest are getting attracted and start helping.

Thats the point when itīs really starting to take off.

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #62
e46dub

My Ride: 2000 328i
I would be all about getting a 3.0 short block from the yard to run the ms43 but since it's.dbw I'd be screwed. Wish I knew more about tuning. I'm a computer programmer so it would be easy. Guess it's time to read
e46dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #63
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Honestly its pretty easy to replicate all changes from MS43 to MS42. Blue302 seems to be running ISAless, so even that is possible.

The problem is, there is no one stupid enough to invest several hundred hours of computer work to do the same for MS42 like i did initially for MS43. If you are on that same level, people with knowledge and interest are getting attracted and start helping.

Thats the point when itīs really starting to take off.
true, sad but true..
clone yourself and save us all

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
Wish I knew more about tuning. I'm a computer programmer so it would be easy. Guess it's time to read
I wish you to have a nice reading and to expand your knowledge (and to work on it with Daniel's Clone)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #64
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Quote:
I would be all about getting a 3.0 short block from the yard to run the ms43 but since it's.dbw I'd be screwed. Wish I knew more about tuning. I'm a computer programmer so it would be easy. Guess it's time to read
Just get the MS42 cable throttle to M54B30 manifold adaptor. I found mine on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-e46-3...gAAOSwxCxT5RND

With the programming, I just have not the time with night shift and a 1yr old daughter.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #65
TheAxiom

My Ride: E92
For a tune, I would use BPC in North Carolina. I've had excellent result using them.

I would also stay at the 2.8 liter displacement, the 3.0 harmonic issues just cause more trouble than it's worth. If you really start spinning the engine, a set of upgraded retainers would be nice.
TheAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #66
e46dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu302 View Post
Just get the MS42 cable throttle to M54B30 manifold adaptor. I found mine on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-e46-3...gAAOSwxCxT5RND

With the programming, I just have not the time with night shift and a 1yr old daughter.
Haha I actually ordered that one. Was Hopi g to use the 3.0 TB and maf since it's 3" and not 2.5". But I guess a small bottle neck won't hurt that much
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #67
e46dub

Hey TheRiddle do you know any good docs to read up on tuning the ms42 or 43? I'd love to learn about fuel trims and everything. I just am getting g to installing a 9.7" tablet in the dash(custom Fab) and running dash command. I'll post so e pics in here when I finish it next week. It's fairly easy to fit larger than a 7" Nexus and I'll be more than happy to share how I did it.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #68
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

Quote:
Hey TheRiddle do you know any good docs to read up on tuning the ms42 or 43? I'd love to learn about fuel trims and everything. I just am getting g to installing a 9.7" tablet in the dash(custom Fab) and running dash command. I'll post so e pics in here when I finish it next week. It's fairly easy to fit larger than a 7" Nexus and I'll be more than happy to share how I did it.

Jfoj for trims & related, without any doubts
Daniel_f is great and very kind guy for ecu tuning,
Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #69
e46dub

I mean any good documentation that will help me understand my data logs in conjunction to changing settings for better tuning. I'd hate to have to keep bothering these guys, that is, unless they don't mind?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #70
Blu302

Quote:
Haha I actually ordered that one. Was Hopi g to use the 3.0 TB and maf since it's 3" and not 2.5". But I guess a small bottle neck won't hurt that much
The difference in the throttle ID is 4mm. not enough to make any serious difference.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:43 AM   #71
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

Quote:
I mean any good documentation that will help me understand my data logs in conjunction to changing settings for better tuning. I'd hate to have to keep bothering these guys, that is, unless they don't mind?

Nope...
But in any case they would provide you more info or sources to look at..
Start from jfoj's sig.
Plenty of info for understand trims fuel delivery, then you can read ms43 wiki and place the basis for ms42 comprehension
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #72
Blu302

It is easier to tune with a wide band O2 sensor. The short term and long term fuel trims aren't fast enough to pick single cells unless you are cruising at constant rpm and load.

I have not found any difference in tuning between the MS42 and MS43. If anything, the MS42 is easier as it has less maps and constants. You just need to understand the different names and labels.