E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Kicker f6x9c replacement 6x9 sub for HK system

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kwang125 
#1 ·
I recently bought a set of Kicker f6x9c's off ebay (used because they are discontinued) to replace my stock HK subs. When I put them in the bass doesnt hit hard at all. The speakers are working because I can see them moving with the music.... but they are really quiet....no matter how high i put the bass. I know this sub swap has been done before... any recommendations on what might be wrong? By the way I put my stocks back in and they are back to normal so the amp is still fine. Thanks in advance guys!! :)

#2 ·
three2threeCi said:
I recently bought a set of Kicker f6x9c's off ebay (used because they are discontinued) to replace my stock HK subs. When I put them in the bass doesnt hit hard at all. The speakers are working because I can see them moving with the music.... but they are really quiet....no matter how high i put the bass. I know this sub swap has been done before... any recommendations on what might be wrong? By the way I put my stocks back in and they are back to normal so the amp is still fine. Thanks in advance guys!! :)
Is the impedance of the Kickers 4-ohms? The HK subs in my car had different impedances. One was 3-ohm and the other 2-ohm. So if your kickers are 4-ohms, they are probably getting slightly more than half the power the HKs were getting.

There is no free lunch. If you want decent bass, get an amplifier and some real subs.

#3 ·
ca1242 said:
Is the impedance of the Kickers 4-ohms? The HK subs in my car had different impedances. One was 3-ohm and the other 2-ohm. So if your kickers are 4-ohms, they are probably getting slightly more than half the power the HKs were getting.

There is no free lunch. If you want decent bass, get an amplifier and some real subs.
Yea the kickers are 4 ohms. I wasnt expecting this to be much better, but I didnt expect it to be worse. If you search the forum a few other people have been successful with this. Hmmm :dunno:

#7 ·
three2threeCi said:
1). you bought it used. you don't know if they are in proper working condition. maybe the previous owner abused it or pissed on it.
2). what is the internal volume of stock HK sub enclosure? what is the recommanded volume for Kicker ? maybe Kicker doesn't work well in HK sub enclosure.
3). are you supplying enough power to the Kicker sub? perhaps the Kicker sub need more power to really shine.
4). i suggest you sell the Kicker and get something else ...

good luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.