E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Cheap OEM Rims - Fishy?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tock172 
#1 ·
I need to replace 2 potentially bent rims - I haven't determined that they're the cause of the shaking I'm experiencing. So, I'm looking for a better deal on part number 36116751415. The OEM parts page lists this:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ES53&mospid=47726&btnr=36_0469&hg=36&fg=15

The price from BMW directly is $295, and most other companies list a similar price to that. However, I came across this in my google search, also:

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/merc...e_Code=HC&Product_Code=2387&Category_Code=630

It doesn't say that it's not original or a replica, etc. I'm not sure whether I can trust hubcaphaven - does anyone have experience with them? Are they reputable?

#5 ·
My guess is that they're used wheels. I would keep an eye on your local craigslist for a complete set of wheels, or perhaps what would make the most sense is to just have your current wheels balanced somewhere--it should be pretty obvious to the tech if they are bent.

#6 ·
A common cause of shaking is warped rotors. If your car only does it when braking, it's the rotors. E46 non-M wheels sell for around $100 on Craigslist and eBay; as the platform gets older and more of them get junked the price on the wheels will continue to drop. You can also have the wheels repaired if they aren't badly damaged. I bent a wheel and it cost me like $120 to have it straightened, road rash fixed, and recoated to like new.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I'll look into original BMW rims from ebay or such.

Not while braking, only between 45 and 60 mph, accelerating or coasting. I'll be getting my tires and steering flex coupler replaced, so we'll see what's up with the rims. I know at least 2 have slight bends in them, but the shaking was occurring before I hit a pothole and bent one in the front (and now I have a tire bubble). I'm at 104k miles.

#13 ·
A BBB rating of "A" is as good as it gets. Only 11 filings in all the years they have been in business, all of them resolved. I'd have no concerns.

While I'd prefer OEM takeoffs to reconditioned wheels or replicas (esp. if the price is the same), they state pretty clearly that OEM takeoffs / OEM reconditioned / New replicas are all in the same category for them.

If your wheels have seen a few seasons of use, they probably show some wear. If so, mixing in a couple that look like new will be noticeable. If they are immaculate, then mounting a used replacement is probably going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Repairing your own at ~$125 each will cost less, but you won't be able to drive your car while it is being done.

Another option is buying a full set of used rims. It may take a while, especially if you don't live in a major metro area, but you should be able to locate a decent-looking set for not much more than fixing your own. Mount the 4 best on the car and you still have 2 spares in the event that another becomes bent or cosmeticaly challenged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.