E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission Problems?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Hogan773 
#1 ·
Ok I just purchased a 2003 325xi it has 105,000mi first thing i noticed was that when in drive the rear end pulls down the when put into neutral the car will rise back up, Second after about thirty miles on the highway at speeds about 65 it started to vibrate and loose power i could tap on the gas petal and the issuse wold stop for about thirty more miles. This is my first BMW and would like see if anyone had a thought on this. Thank you

#4 ·
Ok I just purchased a 2003 325xi it has 105,000mi first thing i noticed was that when in drive the rear end pulls down the when put into neutral the car will rise back up, Second after about thirty miles on the highway at speeds about 65 it started to vibrate and loose power i could tap on the gas petal and the issuse wold stop for about thirty more miles. This is my first BMW and would like see if anyone had a thought on this. Thank you
Detailed maintenance history? Mine does the same thing (the drop is minimal) and what you're experiencing is your rear suspension being tired and soft. I parked next to an E46 xi and my suspension was about .25" lower because mine has 83.7k miles on rough roads and not a single suspension component has been changed from the factory (control arms excepted).

When you put it in 'D' there is suddenly a torque being transferred through your drivetrain. This torque applies a 'preload' of sorts that is transferred through your suspension geometry. It's the same principle as when people floor it their rear end sinks a bit.

#7 ·
Thank you for the help the car was my brothers it was well maintained the rear springs were changed last year. The only thing I did not see being done was the fuel filter so I am hoping when I change that will help with the power loss one the highway. So far after sea foaming the engine I have already noticed a big improvement. Planning on changing all fluids soon any other recommendations?

#8 ·
Vibration at above 65 is a classic CV boot symptom. You might still be able to save the axles if they're torn. Not sure about the loss of power bit though. Sea foaming is... well not my cup of tea. There are roughly 1.5 billion fluid threads so do a search. The xi subsection of the forum will be your ally in drivetrain maintenance.

#9 ·
I was thinking axel but it is very random I did check the boots they are in good shape I can go over 65 without vibration on short trips it felt like It was miss firing the problem would increase when going up hill. Is the awd not equal front and rear and I'm guessing the vibration in D means engine mount? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.