E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 stalls and no power

9K views 90 replies 16 participants last post by  dabu320i 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, my car just yesterday started to stall on my and give me no power.

After exiting off the freeway, I was waiting at the light to turn and my car starting stalling and it was idling rough. The rpm gauge was going up and down, not too much though.
Once i got a green light, I push the accelerator and no power, after 2-3 seconds it finally kicked in. After driving a little more it went back to normal.

Same thing happened today, and again the car drives normal again

Any ideas?

BTW: codes are
P0313
P0300
P1345
P1347
P1342
P0444
P0492
P0491

#9 · (Edited)
I don't believe so, but there are a bunch of guys on here who would be able to answer that better than me. I could see where fuel delivery could trigger multiple codes since it's really going to set the engine off. The giveaway to me was the fact it started running better again for a short time, that happened to me twice over a period of about 5 days before it was no longer drivable.

How many miles do you have on your car? The majority of pumps seem to be going out between 100K and 120K Miles.

I'll look up the thread for the fuel pump issues and post it here for you to review

here it is, worth reading in full

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501&highlight=fuel+pump

If you do need a new pump, do the filter at the same time. Plenty of suggestions for suppliers, but I've always had a great experience with Max at OEMBimmerParts.com, his prices are competitive and delivery times are usually very quick.

#14 ·
Not sure this is a fuel pump issue??

So when do the misfires happen, cold start?

You may also want to read this over VERY carefully - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616&highlight=50

DISA O-ring, lower intake boot and CCV lower oil return line are very common problems and relatively cheap repairs.

Fuel pump and filter is not a bad idea anyway, not sure this will solve your current issue.

Suggest you visually inspect the items I listed above and read the link a few times so you understand the issues.

#17 ·
If you claim this is only happening when warm, then it could be fuel pump related.

You really should get a scan tool that will display Freeze Frame data as this would likely be very helpful in this case.

You should read this post for more info on scan tools and software - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

#20 · (Edited)
$85 is a pretty good price for a fuel pump. It's a Uro brand though and I think most members would recommend the Siemens fuel pump. It's about double the cost, but I think $150 is still pretty good compared to the $325+ list price. Either way a new fuel pump and fuel filter would be recommended as preventative maintenance so that you don't get stranded somewhere.

, autohausaz.com and bmaautoparts.com are some of the sites I like to use. Prices are good and parts arrive quickly.

You can rent a fuel pressure tester at Autozone for free to see if that's one of your issues.

Also make sure you check out jfoj's links and suggestions. They really helped out when my smog tests failed twice...those damn new STAR testing requirements!

#27 ·
^^^ "You can rent a fuel pressure tester at Autozone for free to see if that's one of your issues."

After you rent it, there are some videos on Youtube that show you exactly how to do it or you can Google "E46 test fuel pressure". Really easy and getting the results will tell get you some good info as to whether or not your fuel filter and fuel pump are the possible culprits. Also make sure you read up on Jfof's links. He has the #'s you're going to want to see.

#24 ·
No how would I do that?

I just replaced the fuel filter with the fuel pressure.

Its weird, when I was gonna change the FF, I unplugged the FP fuse so I won't spill alot of gas.

After it was changed, I started it back up and it stopped idling rough for a couple weeks and just last night it started again.

What are some other options?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#32 ·
I think bad fuel pump might cause low fuel pressure and/or volume and contribute to the "running lean" code.

Testing your fuel pressure can possibly help determine if the fuel pump is going bad or is bad. Again, read jfoj's links. They are very informative and has all the information you're asking. It's written quite well to where non-mechanics (such as me) can understand it and benefit from it.

Just like recommended above, wouldn't be a bad idea to change out your fuel pump. Your car is an '02 and the pump can give out any day now, or it can still keep working. Just not optimally. These repairs/replacements you're doing will not be in vain since you're replacing wear and tear parts. I've been doing alot of DIY's and replacing hoses, boots, valves, sensors, etc and my car feels like it's running great!

#33 ·
Thanks.

When i got my fuel filter there was a choice of 2 different kinds, one with the fuel pressure regulator and on without. I had to get the one with the regulator

Now with the FP, is there only one type to get?

Also any good websites/brands you reccommend?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.