E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best Aftermarket Headunit

101K views 185 replies 47 participants last post by  ogmikeg 
#1 · (Edited)
In my 2001 BMW 325i, I am looking to replace the current head unit with a better one. I installed an Alpine 6CD changer in the trunk a while back but this is not cutting it anymore, I want auxiliary support and a nice display.

So what would you guys recommend.. I am looking something that looks somewhat similar to the stock headunit but with Auxiliary support for my Zune. I would also like the CD player to support MP3 CD's and not just normal CD's.

Edit: My car does NOT support double dim.

#2 ·
In my 2001 BMW 325i, I am looking to replace the current head unit with a better one. I installed an Alpine 6CD changer in the trunk a while back but this is not cutting it anymore, I want auxiliary support and a nice display.

So what would you guys recommend.. I am looking something that looks somewhat similar to the stock headunit but with Auxiliary support for my Zune. I would also like the CD player to support MP3 CD's and not just normal CD's.
You should check out Dynavin bud. I'm saving money for the android one.

http://www.dynavin.com/index.php

#5 ·
Go for the pioneer. If you don't have the double-din space you will have to order a relocation kit for the AC panel and a nice little bracket for the surrounding of the headunit. Only then will you realise how much of a visualise plus you have added to the interior of your car. If you have the extra cash, I would definitely suggest the pioneer. I probably don't have to mention the acoustics..

#21 ·
Dynavin hands down. A top manufacturer has offered to sponsor an entire audio system for me and I turned it down because I didn't want to run an aftermarket head unit other than the dynavin... anything else jammed in there looks cheap IMO

#28 ·
Anything but Dynavin... Looks cheap, works cheap... You get what you pay for! (Installed a few myself...)

#29 ·
If you're an audiophile, I agree. The dynavin is lacking. But then again, so is the OEM HU. Pioneer FTMFW. You have to hack up a bunch of plastic to get a double din to fit though.

I have a dynavin v5 myself and the noise floor sucks some hairy balls. However, for the price and functionality, it is a pretty good unit. There are also RCA outs that I haven't tried yet, but that requires replacing the stock amp at the very least. I'm lazy.

At this time, I think getting the Dynavin for Android is a bad move. That is just the navigation side. The UI of the other functions is still crapola.

If you want to buy one, ask Jeff over on the bavarian soundwerks forum for pricing and pros/cons. He's reputable, responds quickly, and is mostly honest... but he's still running a business.

#32 ·
Form :

Looks oem
Plays dvds
Hooks up well with ipod/iphone
Bluetooth phone functionality
Solid navigation (if you upgrade to primo)
RCA inputs work perfectly for incorporating gaming consoles or whatever

Cons :
Sound quality (if you're an audiofile)
Knobs are cheap? If you don't like the way the BMW ones feel (sorry but they appear and feel no different to me than the OEM stuff)

I have a Pioneer AVIC in my Rover and prefer the Dynavin to it with the exception of the ipod interface which, on the AVIC is superior.

For me, form and simplicity over function. I was able to install my dynavin in about 2 hours. To do a traditional dual din from one of these other guys (pioneer, sony, etc) you will spend an arm and a leg or countless hours in your garage... not to mention you will need to buy a new bezel for it to fit in unless you want it looking like total garbage.

Form > functionality (unless you absolutely have to have the best sound quality.. in which case you will also want another 2k or so worth of speakers, amps, subs, etc.)

#33 · (Edited)
And holy crap, the Dynavin is $649!?

You can get a way nicer headunit w/ all the install accessories you need for a fraction of that.

You don't have to be an "audiophile" to appreciate good sound. I don't know anyone who wants to listen to music in crappy quality...then again, I do know a lot of people who don't know the difference between a $5 Walmart speaker, and a $150 Focal.

#36 ·
I had the Dynavin and had no issues with it. For what it offers, the price is great.

I have a Kenwood BT setup in my 911, but wish it had the features of the Dynavin. The sound of the Dynavin was really not that bad. But with car audio, just like guns...to each their own.

#37 ·
Well I have a question.. right now I have my head unit hooked up to a 6CD changer in the trunk that can play MP3 Cd's so all I really want to add to my build is Auxiliary.

A) Could I buy an oem head unit that has aux capability and can connect to my 6CD changer to play my zune in my car? And if so, would it be possible to change songs via the steering wheel?
B) Could I buy a dual dim aftermarket cd receiver, and move my cars climate control down to where the storage thing is?

#39 ·
A- I don't see why the oem head unit wouldn't be able to stay connected to the 6CD changer, as far as controlling it.. That seems to be different with devices. My friend has an OEM headunit with an aux but sometimes he can control it through the unit other times its through the ipod/iphone etc.

B- Moving the cars climate control down to the storage seems to only be the ones that allow for a double din. So yes you could.

#44 ·
I feel like there's a bunch of chicks on this forum who are all concerned about their materialistic opinions.
What happened to the real car fanatics. It's a head unit, works great, Bluetooth, cd, etc. Go spend hundreds of dollars on a head unit, or buy one that looks good and works fine...
No wonder the vast majority of America is in debt lmao.

Sent from my ______ using BimmerApp

#45 ·
Are you serious?

The whole idea of getting another headunit is to improve the sound quality and functionality, not get something that looks like it's OEM and doesn't work any better (or in the Dynavin's case, even worse).

If you're going to think like that, why modify your car at all then? Why are you inquiring about superchargers/turbochargers in another thread? Go spend thousands of dollars on forced induction, or put on an intake and live with 5 more horsepower. You're trying awfully hard here kid.

Now are you going to shut up and stop saying dumb things, or are you really that mad that I dissed your favorite Sony Xplod crap.

#63 ·
Not for nothing but I have a VERY good job, a very nice home, several nice cars, and have very little debt! I buy what I have because I can afford it!
I assume since you are so frugal in your life style everything in your life is simple and basic right....
Including your car which I believe is a BMW not a Kia, or Hyundai...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.