E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Brake Booster Hose Removal on 330ci

25K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Stinger9 
#1 ·
I need to replace the brake booster hose on my son's 330ci. The hose is collapsed and the vacuum seems to have pulled the sidewalls toward the inside. How do you remove the hose from the booster? Do I need to replace the valve also? See diagram below.Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/y/j/126.png

#2 ·
This is a common problem that I have seen, however, I personally have never had to change one.

Looking at the parts diagram, it appears the hose is sold separately. If so, you could just replace the hose. The vacuum check valve probably pulls straight out of the rubber grommet in the booster?

If the hose has the OEM clamps, I usually use side cutters and just cut the clamp then remove it. I would probably then use a utility knife to slit the hose to make removal easier.

If you want to buy the OEM clamps, I use the side cutters to carefully pinch the new clamp close, but it usually is just easier to use standard worm drive hose clamps as a replacement.

#4 ·
I need to remove 7 from 5 and then the other end of the hose that is not shown to what it attaches to. I can cut the OEM clamps off and buy new but how do you crimp these clamps to close. I am wondering if the valve is bad adding to why the hose is collapsing. Thanks for the replies.

#5 ·
Hose collapsing has nothing to do with the brake booster check valve. Gasoline vapors, high temps, age and tight bends is what causes the hose to fail.

As for the OEM clamps, you can either buy a special tool of just use side cutters to pinch the clamps tight.

#8 ·
I replaced the brake booster hose today. I used the www.furiousmethod site to research the part for the best price. This search engine is a great tool to save some money. I ended up getting it online from the BMW store in Cincinnati. I arrived in 1 day. The hardest part was taking off the factory hose clamps. I was able to just pull hard on the brake booster end and the hose came out. On the other end that goes down by the engine you cannot pull it out. I had to twist the hose to expose the end of the clamp and pryed it off with a screwdriver. Replacing was much easier than removing the old one. I used regular clamps that you can tighten with a screwdriver when installing.

Attachments

#11 ·
So the piece that the hose connects to on the engine side, is that suppose to come off? I took the clamp off but when I pulled the 'piece' came with it. When I re installed the hose it doesn't really 'snap' in or anything, just sits there. It doesn't fall off and gets snug once vacuum pressure is there, is that piece broken or is it OK? Should I put some silicone sealant around it?

#12 · (Edited)
For future reference:

It IS possible to buy new OEM clamps. There is a "special" tool you can get, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...Ratcheting-Crimper-Tool-OPK8498-/261795122486

(I'm guessing that there's probably a BMW-specific version of this tool that is probably $5000 . . . :rofl:)

If you want your hoses and motor to maintain an "original" look, this is the "right" way to do it.

99% of DIY-ers can happily pry off the stupid OEM clamps, and replace them with regular screw-type hose-clamps.

I've read many debates on the supposed "merits" of these crimp-clamps, and the only real merits are that you maintain an "original" look, and the guy selling the clamp tool can feed his kids.

It is probably broken. That's a bummer. You could try some silicone sealant, but you should also check vacuum with a Migh-T-Vac. If it leaks there, then you'll need to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.