E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ESS SUpercharger Kits: MAF?!?

16K views 87 replies 25 participants last post by  boxy 
#1 ·
Do the new ESS kits that use the ASA blower feature a different MAF sensor? I heard this from somewhere.

If so, what is the purpose of it? To prevent stalling from unmetered air?

#77 ·
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
Hrm, we really don't need advice from other makes. AFAIK, the ASA kit sold by Technik Engineering is as reliable as I have track tested. Those track reports you read are truthful to every crossed t's and dotted i's. I am pretty sure up until today, no other superchargers were to put such a test. Erm, highway, mountain road driving, or drag racing not counted.

Every modification needs proper care and maintenance. Even more so for a supercharger kit. That's the way it is and that's the way it shall be. A supercharger kit is not exactly a bolt-on-and-forget-it kind of modification. You have to play an important role in making sure everything works as intended. How difficult is that really? Spend some time reading about supercharging systems. Check under the hood every weekend to look for adnormalities. Heighten your aural sensitivity for perculiar sounds while driving. Change fluids regularly. Even if there's a problem, take it as an opportunity to learn the reasons why instead of breaking down in tears. A car will be as good as how much you spend time taking care of her.

I have always preached that getting a SC is a huge responsbility. More so for me since I push mine to the limits. But trust me, a lot of people fail to realize this.

I have read your blogs and enjoyed them all. Very good recaps of your track events. It's probably all the mundane normal maintenance that you yourself do with your SC'd 3er that is not written up in there, which makes it seem to work so flawlessly. I totally agree with your above statements. Do you know where I could maybe find a general "Care and Feeding" guide for an FI equipped vehicle?

#78 ·
well sorry my friend your right and wrong at the same time. I have taken care of the car as well as you.

I have been getting the stalling issue just like mike and from the sounds of it I don't think it's been a maintance problem. I have changed my MAF senser my idle valve even my fuel filter and some stupid flap in the intake and it still happens so go figue.

Some part of me tell me that its my clutch system. Cause this only really started after that. I have the uuc stage 1 with the 8.5 flywheel and E34 M5 presure plate.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.

Its like when the engin revs down the car just dosn't catch when coming to a stop or pressing the clutch in.

Also I have the upgraded ECU from TECHNIK and sometimes, most of the time will drop below that and then start to climb back up, so explain that.

#79 ·
steelgrey330ci said:
well sorry my friend your right and wrong at the same time. I have taken care of the car as well as you.

I have been getting the stalling issue just like mike and from the sounds of it I don't think it's been a maintance problem. I have changed my MAF senser my idle valve even my fuel filter and some stupid flap in the intake and it still happens so go figue.

Some part of me tell me that its my clutch system. Cause this only really started after that. I have the uuc stage 1 with the 8.5 flywheel and E34 M5 presure plate.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.

Its like when the engin revs down the car just dosn't catch when coming to a stop or pressing the clutch in.

Also I have the upgraded ECU from TECHNIK and sometimes, most of the time will drop below that and then start to climb back up, so explain that.
Well, that is odd. I have the same setup as you. I have the UUC Lightweight Flywheel and Organic 6-speed clutch setup and it is flawless. Grabs similiar to my E30, but the drive-by wire is still pissing me off. As for the stalling, I have ZERO stalling after having a shield, not a flap, put on the car. I once had the A/C on and coming to a stop light at about 45 and was looking to pass the light when it suddenly turned yellow and red - someone needs to time these lights correctly. The car stopped and the RPM fell below idle to about 800RPM. Reved it up a bit and it settled back about 1k. The Technik Supercharger works flawlessly on my car, and the Technik software further enhanced that. I dunno why everyone else is having stalling problems? :dunno: I should be having stalling problems since my car still thinks it is a steptronic. :rofl:

#80 ·
Actually you just gave me an idea. Maybe I should include a section on that on my website.

Btw, thanks for reading the blogs. I hope you enjoy reading them!

faded67 said:
I have read your blogs and enjoyed them all. Very good recaps of your track events. It's probably all the mundane normal maintenance that you yourself do with your SC'd 3er that is not written up in there, which makes it seem to work so flawlessly. I totally agree with your above statements. Do you know where I could maybe find a general "Care and Feeding" guide for an FI equipped vehicle?

#83 ·
MarvelPhx said:
I have never had my SC engine stall while driving...

it still sounds like a vacuum problem or a failure of the injector cutoff to come back on during the engine rev-down before idle speed.
No, it's related to turbulence of the air comming in; the MAF doesn't read the air correctly, thus stalling the car.

I have some tricks up my sleeve to reduce this turbulence, and have discussed this issue with "BMWTech", who was experiencing this problem on his car with the VF Charger.

I will report soon.

#84 ·
mike...i too have just encountered the same problem. I was fine and dandy until i changed out my old dirty k&n airfilter to a new one and now i stall and car shuts down with all maintenance lights coming on. this really sucks, let me know what you find out for a solution. thanks.

#85 ·
I noticed the MAF is relocated down to the filter on some kits. I would recommend moving the MAF away from the filter up to the metal SC intake elbow. This will allow the air path to straighten and smooth before MAF metering reducing the change for air stall.

As for K&N and other oil-soaked filters, some are oiled more than others, either by the owner or even the factory. Depending on conditions, this excess oil can be vaporized and sucked into the intake which eventualy contaminates the MAF. Clean the MAF with CRC MAF Cleaner or other electronic-safe spray and try again.

#86 ·
I have the same issue with my 330 TS2 but it only happens in hot weather (The oil temp is normal, and the coolant temp is normal as well) and when I am idling at a traffic light. Never stalls at high speeds or when engine is moving. I did have the up-down RPM issue sometimes even before SC but no stall.

Was there every any fix by ESS or other SC kits for this issue?

#87 ·
If yours stalls while sitting still at idle, you don't have the same problem discussed in this thread. And no, there is no one single fix for various stalling problems across different brands and types of superchargers.

Have you checked for stored trouble codes?

What intake and air filter do you have?

Have you checked thoroughly for vacuum leaks? You might check your fuel trims for signs of an undetected problem.

Have you checked fuel pressure at idle?

Have you ever cleaned or replaced your ICV?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.