E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Starting Problem

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JWade 
#1 ·
Coming home from work yesterday, pulled into my normal spot turned off the car. When I tried to restart it, car starts but then juts dies. Tried it a couple of times with the same issue. Pulled the codes and got a p0101 & p0340.

I changed my Intake and exhaust CPS last year but never did my MAF

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks Guys

#2 · (Edited)
There's a thread somewhere that lists what those codes are...if you search for it and post what you have, someone, maybe even me, might be able to help.

If you're near Union, you can bring it to my buddies shop and he'd be glad to scan your car with Autologic (real bmw code reader) for free.

BTW, expect some total d!k from London to post something about how I'm up to something with this offer...and just ignore him/her. Or, just read 10 random posts of mine and 10 of his/her and decide who's up to something.

Just let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up...you can't be far and all I can say is I guarantee they'll find the issue...and you can decide whether you want to diy or not. (Yes, there are people out there this nice...which is why I'm good friends with him!)

Doug

BTW...any chance your name is coz you happen to love raptors...as in catch the kettles of Broad Winged hawks at Chimney Rock...something I've done for the last 18 years or so...just curious.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly I am in englishtown, 5 min from the track actually and a bit of a ways fom Uion. And since my car is down right now I won't be going anywhere unless I'm driving my wifes car. Thanks for the offer though and after I get her running again (and I will) I may stop by and check out your friends shop.

I have done a search, everything that came up is points to the MAF or CPS. I was just hoping to find someone that has been through this and might be able to give me some pointers. I know people have had this "car starts but and shuts right off" problem here before. I just dont want to invest in parts, change them, and the problem persists.

It's funny that you ask about my name, The name is my old AOL sreen name from like 10 years ago that I still use. And Raptor refers to the Yamaha Raptor 660R quad that i used to ride for a while. I do know where chiminy rock is!

#4 ·
p0101 Everything I keep reading here is pointing to my MAF so tomorrow Im going to buy some cleaner and give it a shot. If that doesn't work I may have to go buy one but at $400 or so a pop, it's going to suck!

p0340 points to the intake CPS. Now I changed this part over a year ago but didn't use and OEM part. Bought them from Bav Auto. Could it be that the non OEM part filed Prematurely?

Updates to follow

#5 ·
Well...going back a bit...simple test to see if it's MAF is to disconnect the maf and see if car runs better...but doubt it will.

I know either cam or crank sensor will stop car...thought it's the crank position sensor...not cam that will do that...so doublecheck codes and explanations thereof.

Are these Peake codes or OBDII codes (as in from Autozone)? If the latter, not always accurate.

I'm not sure, but it may be that if you disconnect a particular crank position sensor, that car might revert to last known setting or generic factory setting...which might allow it to start...though not run so efficiently...but if that does it...then you've found the part you need to replace.

You can certainly remove MAF and clean with maf cleaner...and treat it like eggs...coz the wires are delicate...just spray.

Also, if you've done any work recently...or did anything in engine...go there and look around and doublecheck your work.

Search for 'no start' and crankshaft or camshaft position sensors...again...I think crank issue will cause no start, and cam just poor running...but I haven't done either in my car, so just haven't studied up on it.

HTH...and you're welcome up to union anytime!

Also, search regional forum...there's a list of recommended Indy shops...and one is prolly closer to you if you need one.

HTH

Doug

#7 ·
My car was running fine, gas mileage good, etc ... Moved it, came back out few minutes later to move it again, start, stumble & died three times. Left it alone for several hours, tried again, wouldn't start. Only code is MAF. Fuel pump is fine, fuel pressure is fine, and it's getting spark. Does that sound like what you had? MAF & battery fixed it, or just battery?
Thanks.

Sent you a PM as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.