E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Matte Black Rims - $12 CHEAP~4 hours*, No Prep, No Fuss, Sex, 100% Reversible ,

134K views 336 replies 121 participants last post by  McDeshen 
#1 · (Edited)
So you always wanted matte black rims and regretted you got silver rims. or getting scratches on ur beloved rims...DON'T BE SAD. PROTECT IT!

before:

Parts needed:

jack
masking/painters tape
1 Spray Can of Black Plastidip Paint
- can be found at local hardware store. (got mine at ACE)
newspaper.

This is a 100% reversible process. Finish looks great. Its like spray on vinyl for your rims.
resists salt and snow. should last a year or so according to my buddies.

DO's: parking garage, nice 65-80 degrees, VENTILATED area, clean
Don't: windy, raining, outdoors (you dont want random **** to fly into your rim). ur room.

reversibility:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_IKoxSgF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsu6TQPvq4

Step 1:
remove valve stem cap

step 2:
mask where the tire and rim meet. also mask the valve stem

step 3:
jack car up. remove tire/wheel. remove middle wheel cap.

step 4:
clean the rim with just water and towel (IMPORTANT). or go with degreaser to remove wheel wax.
Do not sand the rim or anything!!!!!!! This will make it easier to peel if you dont want it anymore. No other prep is needed cuz you want this to be reversible dont cha.

step 5:
spray the rim with a light coat using an ARC motion keep it moving smoothly. dont worry if you miss a bit you'll get it on the next coat. and wait 30 minutes. (you cant really mess up too badly . this stuff is pretty forgiving (compared to paint) if you spray too much. small bumps or imperfection will go away usually (within reason of course).

step 6:
spray rim 2nd coat till it looks wetish looking. wait 30 minutes.

step 7:
spray rim 3rd coat till it look wetish looking. make sure to get all spots near the tape. wait 30minutes

step 8:
remove all painters tape. spray missing spots lightly. wait 40.
dont worry if you accidently spray the tire a bit. it will blend in.... (only reason why you taped it in steps 5-7 was because a little will blend in while a lot will not.

step 9:
caution: if you mount it before 40 minutes. its not fully cured enough to be handled yet.

mount that sh1t

step 10: let it cure overnight or in the sun for a day in a garage environment. just to be safe.

PROS: temporary, no prep, great finish look (matte black)
CONS: temporary, rubbery feel (2 hours after last step), smells bad when you spray. NO NOT INHALE THIS B17CH. maybe i was a pu55y but i almost threw up when i accidentally forgot to hold my breath. DO IN OPEN VENTILATED AREA.

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
#35 ·
So this is actsully legit? I feel like it would chip very easily. Im trying to get a matt black grill, but I'm debating between using plastidip or just buying a replacement black grill from khoalty. They go for 35 dollars so I think it's worth it to just grab that instead of messing with chipping paint and such.

Thoughts?

#37 ·
Do the plasti dip on the grill. That was my first mod when I bought the car over a year ago and it's still holding up as you can see in my sig. I only did two coats and it still looks perfect. And plasti dipped surfaces would actually be better against rock chips because it's a rubberized paint, so the rocks basically bounce off without making a scratch. I've even thought about taking off my black mouldings and giving them a couple of coats to bring back the deep black look

#51 ·
picture results

ok so after reading a ton of threads about plasti dip I decided to give it a shot. I always and still do hate the OEM 18" M3 rims. Wanted to get new rims for a long time, but never took the plunge. In the meantime I decided why not atleast see what the car would look like with black rims. I love the results and plan on getting black rims when funds become available.

Took me about 3 1/2 hours to do all the wheels. Took one off at a time to clean and tape. Sprayed them in the garage and let dry for 30 mins. I am very happy with the results. Been two weeks and they are still holding up. I love this stuff. Did all four wheels with two cans.

1. I need a drop so no need to tell me
2. Car is dirty

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.