E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Please help!!! ESS and periodically check!

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mushama 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have now tried to contact ESS a number of times with no response at all! :tsk:

Therefore I'm asking for your help!

This issue might only have to do with cars running FI in Denmark.

In Denmark (DK) we have to get our vehicles periodically checked every 2. year for security reasons, emission control etc.

I asked ESS before I bought the TS1 whether it would be any problem having the car running through this periodically check with the ESS TS1 kit installed.

The answer was - "no it's EU certified" and therefore it shouldn't give me any problem.

Next week I have to get the car through this periodically check AND I NEED DOCUMENTATION for the emission values and the extra added noise from the SC unit.

The rules about the added power is of another question. It's only allowed to add 20% ekstra power to your car without paying a lot of extra tax. I was awhere of that, so I'm not going to blaim ESS that the power gain is more than 20%.

Another question is; will the old vent belt still fit on the engine, if I don't want to be running the SC unit?

Danish rules sucks BIG TIME but that how it is.

If it all goes wrong, I'll have to revert the car back to as it was before! And I don't want to do that.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED - THANKS!

//The Desperate

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

I have now tried to contact ESS a number of times with no response at all! :tsk:
Try calling them. I talked with Hans 3 weeks ago over the phone

Therefore I'm asking for your help!

This issue might only have to do with cars running FI in Denmark.

In Denmark (DK) we have to get our vehicles periodically checked every 2. year for security reasons, emission control etc.
same here

I asked ESS before I bought the TS1 whether it would be any problem having the car running through this periodically check with the ESS TS1 kit installed.
I asked the same thing

The answer was - "no it's EU certified" and therefore it shouldn't give me any problem.
Same response here :)

Next week I have to get the car through this periodically check AND I NEED DOCUMENTATION for the emission values and the extra added noise from the SC unit.
Why? Did they ask for the documentation>?

The rules about the added power is of another question. It's only allowed to add 20% ekstra power to your car without paying a lot of extra tax. I was awhere of that, so I'm not going to blaim ESS that the power gain is more than 20%.
Do they dyno test the car??

Another question is; will the old vent belt still fit on the engine, if I don't want to be running the SC unit?
you can try that. Shouldn't be diffucult to bypass the TS since it sits above the normal belt route. The engine will work without the TS unit as long as the ESS injectors are used.

Danish rules sucks BIG TIME but that how it is.

If it all goes wrong, I'll have to revert the car back to as it was before! And I don't want to do that.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED - THANKS!
Don't tell them that you have a TS in the car. The emmisions shouldn't change a lot. I remember reading here that a member with TS2 passed california smog test with flying colors (correct me if i'm wrong)

//The Desperate
good luck

#3 ·
Thank you so much for your quick reply :)

Maybe I'm just being nervous of no reason, but I know they're going to punish me big time, if they find out about the SC.

I'll try to install the old belt and not telling anything about the SC - but they are going to look at the engine, since they are checking the engine for oil leakage and the engine number.

The good thing is that the ESS unit look very "build by the BMW factory"'ish.

Ok, I just have to cross my fingers...

Thanks again.

Hans - if you are reading this, could you give me a call? Thx :-D

#4 ·
If I were you I'd leave the belt on. it would appear suspicious to see a pulley with nothing attached on it. Unless they dyno the car they can't find out that it has more power. Just detail the engine before, make sure it's warm and it will probably be ok. If they don't pass you, can't you go to another shop (with the belt off) ?

#9 ·
With the TS disconnected it will appear as you are trying to cheat on them. I gave this a lot of thought since we have the same test here. In fact in 5 years due they will dyno test the cars as well thanks to the civic owners.

btw, your username in greek means "covering fabric" (for a tent) :)

#10 ·
We are here:hi: I checked all email registers and nothing from you for a long time. Try sending directly to asbjorn.bohn@esstuning.com

The kit is engineered to pass EU3 emissions levels and you should not have a problem with local emissions testing of all systems work as designed.

We can also give you a lowered power software if required to get you within 20% of stock for Danish regulations. Will not be as fun though..:)

#11 ·
Hi Asbjorn!

I had to give up after sending mails personally to you and Hans a number of times. But I'll try to call you later today or Monday. Are you in Norway or in The States these days? Just so I'm not going to get you out of your sleep ;-)

Talk to you later...

To "paraklas" :btw, your username in greek means "covering fabric" (for a tent)
- That's good fun though ;-) I'm using this username many places and it's a name generated by a "name-generator" on the Danish national Broadcast' website *lol*

Thank you for all your help guys...

#12 ·
Just had a talk with Hans at ESS. We agreed that I'm going to try get through the periodically check. If they question the power gain from the SC unit, we'll re-program the ECU, show them a dyno showing a max of 277BHP, and the re-program the ECU back again after the check.

Thanks so far Hans :)

Check will be on Oct. 2. - I'll post the result here.

Fingers X'ed...

#13 ·
Peeew, just had the check being carried out! I stayed outside, so they couldn't see how nervous I was...

They didn't comment the SC unit at all and the car was certified for another 2 years without any comments.

Another 2 years before I have to get (a little bit) nervous again.

Thank you all for your help and advises :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.