E46 Fanatics Forum banner

California M3 survival in Chicago's winter

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Zell 
#1 ·
Hey,

Recently moved to Chicago with my E46 M3. Got my oil change at an indie BMW repair shop. As I was leaving, the owner of the shop recommended me to have the coolant/antifreeze ratio changed because the harsh winter could freeze the coolant I have in the car now. He recommended this because I just moved from California. Does this sound accurate?

I was quoted around $190 for the job, which seems a little high, but it was $100 for the oil change (which is a relatively fair price).

Any tips/recommendations to prepare my car for the snow would be appreciated

Cheers!

#2 · (Edited)
Depends on what the current ratio of antifreeze is in your car right now. A 50/50 mix is how almost everyone does it, and I'd be surprised if your car didn't have that ratio. 50/50 mix is good 'til -40F, and a 33/67 is good 'til 0F. Chances are it's a good time to replace your coolant anyway. I would just DIY it, it's a very easy process.

Other good tips/ideas:

- Get Blizzaks for your snow tires. Ain't nothin' better. If you don't wanna get different tires, go with Continenal ExtremeContact DWS. They're still great in the snow. Not as good as a snow tire, but hands-down the best all-season out there.
-Edit: Stick with BMW 10w60, it's the oil recommended for your M3. Good to -20F

- Get good windshield wipers. Bosch Icons or BMW's bracketless design are excellent year-round
- Ice scraper
- Textile snow chains for if you get stuck: http://www.ecstuning.com/News/ISSE_TextileSnowChains_VW/
- RainX or AquaPel your windows. It will help ice slide off more easily
- Get your battery tested at an auto parts store to make sure it is still in good condition

That's really all there is to it!

#10 ·
+1 on the winter wheels. And I'm not too sure about the coolant because it's difficult to tell what was put into the car. I would guess it's 50/50 if it's as-built from the factory, possibly different if you ever had a shop in California change it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, $190 seems reasonable for a shop, but still steep. DIY..?

Also - for sure, purge your windshield washer fluid and fill with the good stuff. I can almost guarantee what you have in there will freeze and possibly damage the seals, windshield washer tank or solenoid. Don't ask me how I know...

#12 ·
Hey,

@T R E - She's a 2006 ZCP, Carbon Black

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, looking into all of this! I'm definitely going to be using more public transportation when it starts to snow, just wanted suggestions on how to keep the car from malfunctioning when I do drive it in freezing temperatures. Weather has been relatively moderate so far, thank GOD.

Initially, I was going to sell my car for an AWD (possibly an 335xi)... Later, people on this forum helped bring me to my senses lol

Happy Holidays y'all, cheers!

#13 ·
Nothing can survive the Chicago Winters, salt, ice & potholes, not to mention the people that cannot control their car and run into you!!!

Good luck, store it for the Winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.