E46 Fanatics Forum banner

MVRK's Interior Trim Cloth Wrap DIY

60K views 75 replies 33 participants last post by  jolaine 
#1 ·
So sometimes you just get tired of the old interior trim. And that means you have to either replace it, paint it, wrap it in CF, or a fabric. Fabric lets you have something that is both unique and has texture. :str8pimpi

DISCLAIMER: you fvck up its not on me.

Supplies:
3M Super 77
ScotchGuard
1 yard of fabric (2 if you are doing c pillars as well)

Tools:
Flathead and Phillips screwdriver
scissors - sharp and small is nice too.
several flat clean surfaces.

So first we need to do a test run.

TEST RUN:

1. cut a small piece of fabric
2. scotchgaurd it
3. stick it onto something you dont care about
4. let it dry

5. Visual inspection - is anything staining, does the glue make it look wrong, is it bleeding ect.....
6. try water test and the rub test, no pigment should come off on your hand.

so if everything is good we can move on to the wrap.

STEP A: Scotchgaurd everything
1. place the whole sheet of fabric on the floor or a large table
2. give it 3/4 light coats of gaurd
3. Let it dry

STEP B: Wrapping Trim pieces

1. Pull trim pieces
2. wash with soap and water, get all the armor all/finger oil and everything else off the pieces
3. take them to a table with fabric, cut a piece of fabric around the trip piece with plenty of spare room

4. take to a separate clean surface and place the trim, trim side up, spray it with super 77 from about 12 inches with quick strokes(basically same technique as spray paint)
5. take your strip and place it on the glue part
6. VERY IMPORTANT: immediately stretch/rub it smooth. make sure there are no bubble or wrinkles while the glue is still wet.
a. this is easy to do on all the pieces except the long curved one in front of the passenger. what you need to do here is cut a large piece and start from the left, go about 3 inches and make a cut from the edge of the fabric to about a centimeter away from the trim piece. this will allow the fabric to "bend" w/o causing bubbles.
b. The trick to corners is this. wrap like you would a present. so you get this triangular thing sticking up with fabric stuck to itself. then simply snip it off. that way there is a great perfect corner, but no material sticking up in the back.

7.now that you are all flush and even on the other side, flip the trim piece.
8. fold the fabric over and use the scissors to trim the fabric in such a way that it will only wrap around the edge a little,and doesn't get in the way of the pegs. When wrapping the shifter piece, you will need to cut to the corners of the holes for the switches and scissors. it is important that your wrap as close to the corners as possible to avoid bunching and so the switches fit.

9. spray the backside with super 77
10. wrap the trim around and let it stick to the back of the trim
11. look over your work and rewrap if necessary.
12. reinstall everything in the car and enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
unfortunatly my camera is POS, and it doesnt do the fabric justice.

It looks really excellent in person, kind of subdued and classy, but i was at a party last night, and i had to give some chicks a ride back to campus, and i got a few compliments :4ngie:

#9 ·
:facepalm::rofl:

haha now you just need curtains and some plush pillows for the back seet and its already more luxurious then my house!
:str8pimpi

what can i say. i is classy.

whats a good fabric to wrap the trim in everyone has cf so im tired of that look where can i find good fabric that wont bleed and that the pigments wont rub off on your hand?

thanks

very good DIY
basically i test sprayed some flannel, and some linen. I would say the linen works best because you need a thin fabric. especially when wrapping the shifter trim. CF is gay, everyone has it, and while it looks ok its really not unique.. basically goto Joannes and buy the scotchgaurd and glue, and buy 6" strips of several fabric you like.

then simply spray them and glue them to a milk bottle or some plastic and see how it looks. i cant tell you one fabric will work best, just gotta experiment. :4ngie:

#10 ·
I'm liking your idea, a lot cheaper then replacing the trim, thanks!

My only concern would be that after a while I'd get tired of the look and want to change it up, does the 3M super 77 set up real solid or do you think you could peel off the fabric and use something like WD40, Goo Gone etc to remove the glue residue thus returning the trim to its previously appearance?

I might just have to try it on some scrap platic and give it a shot....

#11 ·
It peels off pretty easily, however i do not know if you will be able to return it to the original finish, its possible but it would take quite a bit of goo gone and a lot of creditcard scraping.

my suggestion is if you get bored, wrap it in something else, or sand it and spray it.

#18 ·
What about a headliner to match?

#32 ·
DUDE! this is BALLLLIINNNNN!!!! I need to fix up my trim(reallyreallyreally bad) and almost caved for the CF trim...it looks ok, but as you said everyone has it. my car is dark green with a tan interior, i might go with a dark green cloth and make it *****in. but damn this is just pure awesome.

#33 ·
Thanks. that would be dope to get fabric to match the exterior color. however if you want to match the exterior i might suggest paint. prep and instruction on how to paint plastic parts can be found in my sig under the link to black grills.

happy modding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.