E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Denver car inspections

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  PerkM3 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I moved to the northern Colorado a few months ago (Greeley to be specific) and just purchased this car.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=436749

My questions are, what are your thoughts on passing the inspection I'll have to do in order to register the car in Colorado. I'm thinking cats for sure but I'm not familiar at all with Colorado inspections.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Does it have cats? If not, put a set on, make sure all the readiness codes are set and you'll be fine. We don't really have inspections here, you can only fail visual if you don't have the emissions stuff there. They do an ODB2 scan for the readiness codes and run the car on a dyno for emissions. Make sure the car isn't too low, otherwise they'll refuse to run it on the dyno and send you packing.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. The car does not have cats so I figured I'd need those for starters.

#4 ·
Brad...

If you are coming through KC on your way I can let you use my OEM section 1 if you just want to put it on long enough to pass emissions. LMK

#5 ·
Wouldn't I need a euro section 1? OEM doesn't have cats in it does it?

#7 ·
I'm thinking my best bet would be getting some 400 cell cats welded in an oem section 1 as far upstream as space will allow. Thoughts on that?

#8 ·
Yep, or get one of those aftermarket section 1's that come with cats. But you'll want the 400 cell ones at least, the 100 or 200's aren't efficient enough to get past smog. Make sure they have the post cat O2 bungs as well.

#9 ·
The car came with the supersprint section 1 so I'm trying to find a solution that I can trade for or will be cheaper or similar to what I can get out of the SS section 1. I just bought the car so trying to keep initial costs down for the wifes sake.

Anyone in the CO area looking for a SS section 1 version 2 that bolts up to the oem header and section 2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.