E46 Fanatics Forum banner

thinking about selling my 2001 M3

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jeskaM3 
#1 ·
The car just hit 67k miles and needs the inspection 2 work (simple: filter replacements, spark plugs, fluids). I had it checked at the dealership, and they found some minor leaks (nothing causing even a drop of fluid to show up under the car). The valves haven't been measured for clearance, so not sure if an adjustment is needed. It could probably use a brake and coolant flush. Rear brakes are worn (going to replace myself) and oil sensor is having issues (randomly showing indicator when oil level is full). Windshield washer fluid pump replaced at time of last oil change at the dealership. Front right fog light is out, lens cracked.

Here's the service record:
Center BMW (Van Nuys), from 1100 miles to approx 24,000 miles (09.2003). From 23,000-34,000 miles it was serviced at East Bay BMW. (Pleasanton). (7/2004), And from then on till the last recorded warranty recall at 40,889 miles (4/2008), it was serviced at Weatherford BMW. Berkeley

I changed the oil myself at 55k with oil and parts purchased from the dealership. Most recent oil change (66k) was done at Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo, CA.

I told the service writer at BMW that I thought there were issues with the transmission. He said the technician has the same car and said that "it's just the way the car drives." I have noticed a difference from last year, though, so I took it to another shop the specializes in "European cars." The owner drove it for less than a minute and could tell it's an issue with the rear differential (after spending about an hour browsing forums, I agree with him). He also said the clutch has about 20k miles left on it. This guy agreed that the leaks are minor and "normal with M cars."

Would anyone be interested in buying the car in this condition? Someone who knows how to do this stuff could fix it in 2 days max for about 1/5 the cost the dealership quoted. I would do it myself, but I don't have access to a lift, and I'm freaked about spending a lot of time under a car using just jack stands since having them fail on me in the past and having a car fall on me. I just can't justify spending this much on work by a dealership or shop.

Tires are new, about a month old (Michelin PS All-season). Auto-dimming mirror replaced a few months ago. All electronics work, no other indicators on the dash. Interior is flawless. Minor hood damage from rocks (I have the paint from the dealership to fix, but haven't had the time yet).

Check my profile for pics of the car. I can provide more upon request.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but if I do decide to sell it, I'm hoping to sell it for $17k as is.

See less See more
#2 ·
17k is WAY to much bro. I picked up my perfect 03 with 75k for 15k. But your gonna ask more for a older car with problems and needs inspection 2? Sorry but I suggest you lower your price. I understand you can't afford to maintain this car and it's a good idea you plan to sell it before you ruin it but 17k is too much money for that car.

#4 ·
You should buy the kit from ECS and do it yourself. It's easy stuff. Then have a shop do your valve adjustment. Then save up for your clutch. Explain the problem with the diff a little more. Maybe we can help.
I'd also do RTABs and FCABs. If your suspension is going out, save up for some coilovers. I'd go with a set of BC racing coils. For $970 it's a great set up for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.