E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Need More Tire!!

8K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  dragosid 
#1 ·
I have maxed out what I can fit with stock configuration for wheeel/tire in the rear. Currently running 18' 305. I need more tire!!!:ben: I'm not really a fan of full body kits. Rather, really just looking for a way to just increase rear fender space so that can run 345's. -yes I know I'm not alone - Attached are pics of a car that is very much what I'm looking for. It reportedly took 100 shop hrs and gained 50mm. Looks like they tucked the rear bumper under, so no wide body rear bumper was requred. In my area there are very few body shops that will even roll the fenders, much less do the type of custom work that is likely required. Need to gain about 1.5". Willing to ship car to a shop if necessary. Looking for suggestions......Anyone.....???

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
305 is more than enough to go 4.xx second 60-130.

I ve tested various tire sizes and 305 is ENOUGH.

All you need to do is set the COMPLETE VEHICLE AS PERFECT AS POSSIBLE SO THAT IT HOOKS.

I would not spend any money for widening the rear arches.

My sub 4.xx second 60-130 will be made with smaller than 305 tires as well.

#8 · (Edited)
305 in a r888 or nt05-r should suffice on an 18" wheel; what tires are you running at the moment? Any pics of your current set-up?

#15 ·
Mike:
The tall MTs are very unstable at high speed; I would not feel comfortable running a MT at the Shift S3ctor events, where we hit 170+; perhaps, short bursts of 60-130, but nothing greater.

#27 ·
I have a set of R888 18 275 40 for the rears. I had them mounted and immediately unmounted during the summer because the car need to be raised a little to accommodate the larger diameter tire. Original tire was the R888 18 295 30. I have the original tires back on the car till I have time to raise the car and dial in the suspension. I MIGHT consider selling them. Still has the sticker on both tires. I'll be getting the 6766 during the spring so that's what's making me want to keep them for now.

#28 ·
This was not mentioned in this thread so . . . .
The inner fenders can provide a little more clearance via
the ol' "spray and bang" process as long as a rear strut bar
has been installed so that nothing moves. Every little bit
helps.

Jim
Outer fender lips cut every 2" and tucked flat and painted.

#31 ·
#35 ·
I'm trying on Thu. 555R's in 285/18/40 ... Let's see how these work. It's supposedly a taller tire than what was tried so far. My only aim is to just get some traction in 2nd and full traction in 3rd. Will update on the progress.

#50 ·
Jesse's right, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that and it has to do with both your camber plus ride height (which affects a few other suspension angles) when under load.
For more reading have a look here:
http://www.modified.com/tech/0512_sccp_making_it_stick_part_4/viewall.html

But DO talk to your guy and let us know as well as maybe he knows the E46 platform better ... who knows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.