E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best place to get bulbs for my clears.....

8K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
I got a set of clears but need a set of bulbs that light amber now. Seems to e a ton of them out there, any suggestions for a set that doesnt cost a fortune?

Thanks!!!

#3 ·
^ how much does BMW get for those? do you know the part number?
I finally broke down and was going to buy the Silverstar bulbs from autozone, they were only $11. But they didn't offer my BMWs style bulb..:banghead:
Does any discount autoparts store carry our style bulbs? Or do I have to order online?

#4 ·
#10 ·
#17 ·
Check this out....

I am running my front clears with the factory bulbs. The bulbs are crystal clear and are pretty much invisible when the front turn signals or parking lights are off. When they are on, it gives off an off-white, yellowish color of an incandescent bulb. Since my xenons light up so WHITE they make the corners almost look amber even though they are clear white bulbs in there. I don't think I am going with $$$ aftermarket bulbs for the front. They really do look amber compared to the bright white xenons.....

#19 ·
A couple of things happened. First I looked to see what style of bulb I need. The fronts have two types from what I can see. One has the PINs on the side at 180 degrees and the other offset at 150 degrees. On my original amber lamps the socket takes the 180 which are exactly like the 1157 bulbs. On my clears they are 180 degress. This may be the euro lamp bulbs?? So, I took my socket from ambers that can plug into the front clear lamp. It fits but just ever so slightly loose("might" allow moisture in from behind). So I went to Autozone and for $11 got their Silverish amber 1157 bulbs. They look kinda green at the center of the filament when on at night. They also state they are a 27watt bulb and the original bulbs are 21watt. So back they went.

Now, I have not bought the OEM bulbs for fear they are also a USA bulb socket of 180 degrees. I still may get the OEM bulbs but for around $25 and no lifetime warranty, uncertainty about the PINs and how silver they look..it might be better to get the Stelth bulbs.

#21 ·
I used the stock socket and it fit perfect in the clears. AS my post above states I am leaving the corners alone with the stock clear bulbs......tehy do look amberish compared to my xenons.

So now I need a cost effective bulb for the rear clear turn signal (middle). I might try the oem ones for this.

#22 ·
Ok, update. I decide to get the OEM bulb from BMW. Yes it is an offset bulb pin and not the 1157 like USA are. I found this bulb the correct fit for my clear fronts. It's exactly the same but a blue/clear/amber color. When on during the daytime they look about the same as my stock ambers. They didn't have the greenish color I found the Silverstars to have. I took a picture during the day to show both as a comparison, but you can't see anything..drag. They do have the light blue tint that reflects in the reflector housing. I did not want that. If the Stealth or Xenergie bulbs don't have this as I suspect, then they get the nod. These cost me $11.04 each + tax from Crevier (delivered). So no $8-$10 shipping mark up like the shops charge. I have two pictures that came out. One of the bulb next to the OEM amber bulb. The other with the bulb in on the right and the other with the amber bulb in on the left.

Attachments

#29 ·
When you say 'offset', do you mean 150 (as opposed to 180)? I took out the dead bulb and the platinumvisions are 180 offset. Also, has anyone ever had the problem of a bulb getting stuck in the socket? When I removed the socket for the bulb which I thought was dead, the platinumvision was stuck inside the socket and no amount of pressure could get it off. Because I still had the original ambers, I simply took the socket from the original amber turning light and placed an amber bulb inside. The original socket (with the amber bulb) is 150 offset.

#23 ·
Just an update. These OEM "clear" bulbs give off the same amber color that the OEM clear lamps did. Day/night they look the same, nothing lost. There is not the greenish color of the bulbs like some amber-blue bulbs give off. As far as color given off in day/night these work great.

#24 ·
I am in San Diego and I drive a facelifted sedan (model year 2002). My front right turning light just went out, and I just wanted to confirm that I can get replacement bulbs (that look clear but blink amber) from the dealership. I had the Platinumvisions, which burnt out after 2 or 3 years of use, and I do not want to pay too much money for bulbs that are likely to burn out again after a few years. I have not yet checked the alignment of the bulb, but I just wanted to get confirmation so that I can stop by the local dealership (BMW of San Diego) to get these bulbs. Thanks!

John

#25 ·
I have not yet checked the alignment of the bulb, but I just wanted to get confirmation so that I can stop by the local dealership (BMW of San Diego) to get these bulbs. Thanks!
John
I gave the dealership the part number and they had to order them, as they didn't have them in stock. Your SD dealer might have them in stock, or they might need to order. Ordering doesn't cost anything more, only like 1-2 days to get in.

#26 ·
Alex, im suprised you hadnt tried these... i had them, but dont like them on facelifted clears... you can see some amber through them still... plud, they dont make the ones for the sidemarkers...

heres a pic compariosn of both i did a while back:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356554

edit: I just noticed you replied to that thread.. the OEM bulbs are great for pre-facelift, because the corners are tinted, and these bulbs glow brighter

#27 ·
Hmm..yep I guess you had already informed me about them months ago. I should have listened to you then. You should have posted the cost..that always gets my attention. LOL.
I see the ones I have are #..228 and the ones you had are #..227. I have a feeling the 227s are the ones with 180' offset pins, while the 228s are 150' offset pins.

#32 ·
Let me see if I get this straight. P/N 63216934228 is a 150 offset which would work for my front lights, but P/N 63216934227 is 180 offset? Since I have Platinumvisions in my rear lights, I would rather buy all OEM bulbs so that i can avoid any more bulbs that will melt my bulb carrier.

#33 ·
Just get the Bimmian solaris bulbs where you can order the set. They arent any more likely to melt than the OEM ones. Ive had an OEM bulb melt in a carrier too... If that happens, fork over another $10 for a new bulb carrier... no biggie...

Besides the Bimmian ones come with the side markers, and they dont make OEM ones of that

#38 ·
bump.
Does BMW have a new "stealth" bulb out now? I could have sworn I was behind a stock later model X5 and it had a "stealth" bulb that didn't have the bluish tint to it like the earlier one I had.
I need to buy new dual filament bulbs for my front and want the best out.

#40 ·
bump

ok well i'm on the hunt for new stealth style bulbs for my front indicators.

does any company have the latest upgrade in these that i'm not aware of? i now have one burned out Stealth bulb in the set i had. and one burned out oem silver bulb in that set. (didn't happen in the same socket before someone thinks that.) so i need to buy a matching set of chrome look bulbs that shine amber.

#41 · (Edited)
Need Lastest and Greatest

again are there any new LED front turn signal bulbs that are stealth/hidden and then light up amber for a good price?

need to buy some new bulbs and hoping someone has some good info out. :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.