E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bav (bsw) sound solutions???

10K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Halston@BSW 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if BAV SOUNDS, the one and only source for direct replacement speakers is still in business? I have called two different phone numbers 404 855 1963 and 404 963 8857 over the past two months and NADA. Wait, I did speak with someone about a month ago inquiring about a military discount and was told that they would do 10%. When I finally had money to spend and called back, left messages (4-6) I get no calls back.

Oh yeah, I have tried the email option as well, nada. Is this what I can expect for customer service???

Please tell me there are other options!!!

#4 ·
Nique,

I apologize for the difficulty you may have had in reaching us this week! I was up in Chicago at our final assembly facility this week, leaving our phones a bit understaffed. We would be happy to get that order in for you, and feel free to shoot me an email directly, or shoot me a call and we can get that setup. Alternatively if you want to knock that order out on our site, I would be happy to get that discount applied still once it is in!

#5 ·
Nique,

Be careful to order the right parts. I mistakenly ordered the wrong speakers on August 1st, 2012 and I am still waiting to get the right speakers from BSW. I contacted them immediately after I realized my error and they send me some forms to send them back. That was almost two weeks ago and now I can't get a hold of anyone at the company. I've emailed them and called them and nothing. I've been driving around with my doors torn apart for two weeks thinking that today would be the day they came. Then I checked my online banking and I see that nothing has changed. No refund. No new charge for the right speakers - nothing. I'm starting to get a little worried now that I don't have the wrong speakers or my money!

#9 ·
**Update - I was contacted by the company last night shortly after posting to this thread. They said they would try to get them out by Friday. So with the weekend and shipping I should have them middle of next week. That is if everything goes right. I'll post an update once I actually get the speakers.

(And for the record, the speakers were purchased with a credit card. Although that provides a certain level of security, I'd rather not have to deal with that and I don't think anyone else on these forums would either - especially when dealing with a forum sponsor. And yes, I realized I had the wrong parts once I had taken the door apart.)

#14 ·
Thanks to evevryone for all of the words. Additional thanks to Halston for chiming in and letting me know that he'd honor a military discount. My intent was not to bash BAV nor put them on blast but instead to find out no kidding what was going on with them and the absence of anyone contacting me after repeated calls. From the sounds of things, at least one other person has had the same experience. As I wanted to spend money and get my tunes up and running ASAP (my old OEM speakers are shot) from the sole supplier of the equipment, I was expecting a bit more proactive interaction. Nonetheless, speakers are getting ordered tomorrow, hopefully they're in stock.
Halston if you're reading, 99 E46 323I sedan standard non HK system.

#15 ·
Apologies I am not on the forum a ton anymore. Trying to cover all the phones. Right now we honestly have a lot of backorders and it keeps me on the phone a bunch getting new information about the current status of packages. We are almost to the point where those are ironed out. Unfortunately that means a lot of time has to be spent on the phone handling this. Leads to some missed calls. Emails I answer almost 24/7 including weekends so that will always be a quick turn around!

Thank you for the kind words though. I am here to help!

#16 ·
Adding BSW speakers to the 14 year old technology in the BMW Base system is the definition of putting lipstick on a pig. Very expensive lipstick.
You should have a very up to date head unit, speakers, and amps for what they charge for a set of theirs. If you have decent technology, and quality component speakers in the front and rear, then there is no need for 12 speakers to get quality sound in a BMW.

#18 ·
Update**

Well I finally got the correct speakers on August 26th. I installed them and they sound great in my 2002 330xi. I have the HK package and one of the old speakers was shot so I couldn't turn it up very much without getting a lot of terrible noises. The new speakers (6.5 sub woofers in the front doors) sound nice and added some punch.

#21 ·
If you bought the full set, then you paid somewhere between $600-$900, right? And for that, you got "sound(s) nice, and some added punch?
For that much money, they should send a hooker to blow you whenever you turn on the (14 year old technology) stereo.
I do not understand how this company has been able to convince anyone to pay that much money for their products, with the exception of some owners who bought the car new, 7 - 12 years ago.
I spent $700, and got a receiver with CD, HD Radio, iPod control, Bluetooth, and XM Radio, component speakers front and rear (Boston Acoustics), a box with 2 10in subs, and 3 Rockford Fosgate Amps to drive it all, and it sounds like the freaking voice of God. It would sound "nice" if I jabbed an ice pick in both ears.
You do not need 16 speakers if you have prodigious power, and a high tech head unit. Two tweeters, and two mids in the door and Barack deck and two subs in the back are more than enough. Shoving odd sized speakers in every nook in the cabin is the auto manufacturers equivalent of shoving rolled up socks in your underwear - it is compensating for a basic deficiency. Shoving BSW speakers in the same nooks is the equivalent of shoving a rolled up Hermés tie in your underwear.

#22 ·
@MJLavelle - I just got two speakers - the largest ones in the front doors. "The new speakers (6.5 sub woofers in the front doors) sound nice and added some punch." I really just wanted to replace the bad speaker but since BMW decided to use a speaker that is not common in any way and I didn't feel like spending the time to cut in my own speakers I just bought the (somewhat) direct replacement from BSW.

Your setup sounds amazing though.

#23 ·
I am going to apologize for my tone last night. I was beyond grouchy. There are a few on the forum who know exactly why I can get in such moods.
But I stick by the fact that BSW is able to sell product at their prices.
Thee front door speakers are 5.25, or 6.5 with some trimming, which is very common. And if you buy a set of component speakers, you can mount the tweeter in the door handle spot with almost no modification at all. Some of the others are odd sized, but you really do not need them. Butt you could have replaced your door speakers with common sized speakers, with barely any modification, and 1/3 of the price. If you look at my car, you would never know what was in there. Everything fits behind the factory grills, and is super simple to install.
There are a lot of misconceptions about aftermarket stereos and BMW's. You will also notice that the BSW reps on the forum usually stay far away from these conversations. I have no doubt that their speakers are good quality. But the price is astonomical, and is not proportionate to the quality of the product. And the truth is, you do not need those speciality shaped speakers if you just get rid of that BMW head unit.
There is a lot of stories about aftermarket gear interfering with the CAN Bus. Some of it may be true, but most is not. As for me, I just went with the safe route, and pulled all of my wires through braided stainless steel tubing, and grounded it on both ends. That creates an EMI shield, and is not that much more work.
Anyhow, I am glad you are happy, and just ignore my attitude last night. If you ever want to just replace the BMW gear, send me a PM. I know where the bargains are hiding in car stereo gear, and where to spend your money, and where to cut corners. Now, my stuff is not that audiophile, competition type stuff. I just want a good, clean, detailed sound, that is as good as or better than your living room system.

#25 ·
After some extensive time around BSW equipment, I was impressed with the improved quality over OEM standard speakers and the seamless installs. A few of my friends have BSW stuff in their car, and they were ALL ecstatic with their stuff!

MJ, it seems that you feel "it" could be done for less, which is a totally understandable perspective. I, however, feel like people trust in BSW's products as the majority of their offered items are a relatively simple (and high quality) plug-and-play, and that added ease/confidence of installation is worth more to some. If you carefully elect your product, or e-mail for help if you're uncertain about what you're looking for/ordering, BSW does a good job streamlining customers to the product they think/know they want. More so, many auto enthusiasts enjoy the "piecing it together" of modifications to build their car in the way they desire, yet are unfamiliar with the pro's and con's regarding various types of speakers, amps, head units, subwoofers, BT/iPhone/iPod units, etc, etc, etc- that fits their car. The catch is, not every person has the time or the drive to research an entire kit piece by piece and speaker by speaker, so to resolve that problem, BSW even offers entirely pre-constructed kits.

I hear you when you are put off by their price, and again that is fair as everyone associates value differently. I personally love the seamless integration of their kits, improved sound quality, and (upon ordering carefully and correctly) the certainty that it will all fit and fire up the first time. Apparently I'm not alone in that either, as one of the BSW reps here in the thread said they are currently dealing with backorders.

I'm sure everything will work out for OP, and similarly, I'm also sure that we'll hear back if it doesn't! :lmao:,
-Chris

#27 ·
:rofl:, no- but they sponsored many BMW meets back when I lived in Atlanta, and a big group of guys from bimmerforums.com all had E39's with speakers giving out, and they went the BSW route. I actually helped some of these friends with installs here and there, and they/we were never disappointed.

Oh...and my dad could buy your dad ;),
-Chris

#35 ·
OK, here's the skinny on my speaker drama. Shortly after I posted the initial pseudo negative post on not hearing back from BSW, Halston posts to this thread. About a week after that, I emailed him directly and asked specifically, "was the speaker system in stock for my car, a 1999 E46 323I". I was told emphatically, that they were. Armed with this information, I ordered the speakers (I got my 10% military discount as well.
A few days later, I hear back from them thanking me for the order, blah, blah, blah. After reading additional correspondance, I came across one that caught my eye, something to the tune of, your item may be shipped 7-10 days pending packaging or some crap like that. Imagine my horror seeing this after I'd been told the stuff was in stock. I then email Halton and asked him to call, no dice. I get another email and this time am told that the speakers (tweeters) are on back order and are expected to their store in 4-6 weeks. WTF!!! So maybe 6-8 weeks to me? How the hell is this business still afloat?

I am canceling my order tomorrow.

All I want is to replace damn speakers to go with my new DYNAVIN head unit and as it was a direct plug and play for my car,I need speakers to compliment the unit. Someone help me and help me spend my money with a company that ain't gonna jack me around!!!!

#37 · (Edited)
I apologize for the miscommunication. The packages have been on backorder for quite some time and the information relayed was supposed to read you would be put in line for the order. Billed when they shipped. I apologize this will not work out for you.

As said the order will not be billed until it ships. We extended the military discount and our shipping special. We would be happy to hold your spot in line and get them shipped as soon as they arrive. We actually shipped many orders last week as the first batch came in. Almost 100 speaker packages. More are en route!

Just let me know how you would like to proceed.

Not good faith business practices.

Inexcusable behavior and communication.

Good to share this information on this board.
Simply was a case of miscommunication. My fault for not relaying in a complete manner for what would happen. I am human and make mistakes. However we do fix the in all instances. As Jeremy said we have been on this forum for a long time and as we expand and grow(meaning more customers) there are more issues. Simply is going to happen.

We strive to fix them and have everyone end up happy. I understand our solutions are not for you and that is fine.

#38 ·
Simply was a case of miscommunication. My fault for not relaying in a complete manner for what would happen. I am human and make mistakes. However we do fix the in all instances. As Jeremy said we have been on this forum for a long time and as we expand and grow(meaning more customers) there are more issues. Simply is going to happen.

We strive to fix them and have everyone end up happy. I understand our solutions are not for you and that is fine.

#41 ·
Money Refunded - 4 Months Later! Yeah!

Since I posted to this thread about 4 months ago warning others to be sure to order the correct parts, I thought I'd post a quick update.

I have finally received my refund for the wrong speakers I ordered in August. The refund was posted to my bank account on December 10, 2012. Yes, you are reading that correctly. The refund only took 4 months to be returned to me.

Overall I have to say that my experience with Bavarian Soundwerks (BSW) has been problematic at best.

#44 ·
I've purchased a number of things through BSW over the last several years. Most recently however, I have also been hit with the "backorder issue" and still have an outstanding problem.

I ordered the BSW stage 1 replacement kit last December. Kit arrived within a few days minus the mid-bass speakers for the front doors (I have a vert) which were backordered. I didn't know this at the time I ordered. I finally received the missing mid-bass speakers in March.

Fast forward to early October, I now have a problem with one of the mid-bass speakers. Lots of distortion coming from one side and it sounds like the speaker is blown. Since they are under warranty, I call BSW and they authorize a replacement pair to be sent to me and then I use the same packaging to send the problem speakers back. But...guess what, the mid-bass speakers are back ordered again. I still don't have a replacement speaker.

The backorder issue is a major problem with them. It isn't communicated well and if you are in the speaker business, you would think that they would have more in stock. I found this latest issue to be very frustrating.

However - in their defense, Halston has ALWAYS answered my questions and inquiries and has been terrific to deal with. I'm sure if he had the speakers he would send them to me. On a number of the items I have purchased from them, he has helped with product questions, install DIY's and with advice....so I have experienced both the good and the bad with BSW.

I will also say, that you have a choice when buying products. I chose BSW because they had upgraded products to my stock speakers (which were failing) and they were plug and play. I knew they were not the cheapest alternative, but that was my choice. I spent the extra money to buy something that is made for my car. Aside from my current issue with the mid-bass speakers, everything else has worked great and I would buy from them again.

#46 ·
Ive been reading these threads for quite some time now and was torn which route to go but what sealed the deal for me was the 5 year lead on about the stage 2 amp. In my opinion that was a strictly deicieving sales ploy designed to continually lure in new customers with the promise of a future upgrade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.