E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
malcolmcrane33

My Ride: 1996 328i
Need advice! 330i supercharhed exhaust

I just recently purchased a 2001 supercharged 330i and need advice on what to do with exhaust. I dont have too much to spend on it and need to fix the back pressure. I was thinking about getting some stainless steel headers without cats and deleting resonators. I dont know what else to do from there. I would like to keep it under $700

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using E46Fanatics mobile app
malcolmcrane33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
"Fix the back pressure"?

If you want catless headers, be prepared for the emissions ordeals if your state has any, and go with a quality E-Bay seller or Bimmerbrakes. As for a full exhaust, you could get a Borla rep for about $600. That's the setup my friend's S/C ZHP has. Together that'll run about $900 or so. It doesn't really get much cheaper than that.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 03-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
malcolmcrane33

My Ride: 1996 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
"Fix the back pressure"? What, did you buy it with straight pipes?

If you want catless headers, be prepared for the emissions ordeals if your state has any, and go with a quality E-Bay seller or Bimmerbrakes. As for a full exhaust, you could get a Borla rep for about $600. That's the setup my friend's S/C ZHP has. Together that'll run about $900 or so. It doesn't really get much cheaper than that.

The car is pushing 280hp at the wheels so about 330hp at the crank. The headers and exhaust is all stock and the car is giving some codes saying there is a problem with the o2 sensors after the cats and when coasting the car goes into limp mode. I would think there must also be back pressure because the stock exhaust system doesnt allow for very much airflow when the car is tuned and s/c.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using E46Fanatics mobile app
malcolmcrane33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
hodgkinsc330ci

I'd look at taking your car to a local tuner to get the exhaust and motor tuned for your needs. I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, S/C motors shouldn't differ too much from N/A motors as far as exhaust tuning goes. You're gonna want something that gives you plenty of flow (reducing backpressure is always good, you'll always make power) but is designed properly to take advantage of scavenging effects which will ensure you aren't losing torque.

Read up on back pressure and exhaust systems and tuning. If you're looking for a more definitive answer, I'd suggest taking your questions to the F/I forum on here. I'm sure you'll find the help you need there. Lots of knowledgeable people around here!

Edit: The codes you're getting shouldn't be caused by any sort of "back pressure" issue. Either you're running too lean or too rich, or your sensors need replaced. Read the codes and look 'em up on here, see what others have done to fix the issues you're having.

[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 03-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Borla rep for about $600.
Borla rep? Stainless mandrel bent with borla mufflers? Link?

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
hodgkinsc330ci

It's right here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/162269234026

Says it's stainless steel, and my buddy said it even comes with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
rkneeshaw

Interesting, thanks. Looks exactly like the Borla, in almost every way. Thanks for sharing

Old 04-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Alpine-E39

My Ride: E39 ESS TS1
OP. If I was you I would not remove the resonators if this is a DD.
Alpine-E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
randomdude

My Ride: ZHP, 135, X1
It was my understanding that the ZHP exhaust flows pretty well, Can anyone verify this?
randomdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
It was my understanding that the ZHP exhaust flows pretty well, Can anyone verify this?
I think that is probably very true, but I don't have any data to back it up unfortunately.