E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
E85 or meth????

I have a ess ts2 on my car and am looking at upping the boost to 11psi along with cams and to maximize power I would like to run either meth or possibly e85. Wondering if there are any e85 330s out there or if it's possible in these cars
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
XanderCrews

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I believe you would have to change your fuel pump for e85. It seems quite simple. I chose meth because e85 isn't available around me and trying to make my own just doesn't justify the $335 for a 55 gallon drum to mix with gas. I still haven't decided how I will install my meth I was thinking putting the pump on the washer fluid or actually routing it through the trunk. It's on hold until I reinforce my subframe though.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
XanderCrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
A tune should cover that boost ,,

FWIW,, I'm not a fan of either Alcohol in these older cars, just too much stuff is not fully compatible.. O-rings, sales, injectors etc.. any car before 06 typically unless sold as a flex fuel will need a new pump, replace all rubber fuel hoses, and injectors and injector o-rings to get some resistance to rotting them..
Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Alpine-E39

My Ride: E39 ESS TS1
Inject 50/50 water/meth thru the twin screw. That's what I'm doing. It only comes on when I get into boost. Otherwise you are just wasting expensive fuel when crusing...

Last edited by Alpine-E39; 04-07-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Alpine-E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
That's what I was thinking of the meth. Ess has recommended against meth through the twin screw from what I've found. There is a 335 around here with a flex fuel tune to where he presses his pedal a couple times to switch between tunes from 93 to e85 and didn't know if the same was available for the e46 cars.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
Alpine-E39

My Ride: E39 ESS TS1
ESS is completely useless aside from supplying the hardware. There is no reason not to. On a turbo it's different because the water droplets act like sandblasting to the leading edge of the blades, however our rotors are not spinning fast enough for this to be a problem. The mixture flash vaporizes due to the heat of compression/case/rotors, no seals are exposed to it. It helps to seal the clearances as well. You may not see higher boost because the air is more dense, but you will feel the POWER!

Fairly certain that 335 does not have the stock ecu.

Edit: laminova cores may cause water to recondense. I'm still ts1 (w/85mm) and plan to stay that way.

Last edited by Alpine-E39; 04-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Alpine-E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Someone emailed lysholm and they confirmed there is zero issues running meth through the twin screw. The only possible concern could be the aluminum laminova cores, and the concern is only valid if you think the methenol could condense and pool on the cores.

ESS says you have to use a stock OEM intake and even the BMW performance intake "isn't recommended".... so don't bother asking them what can or can't be done.

My latest crazy idea is to use the OEM sport button next to the heated seats button to turn the methenol system on and off. I'm trying to figure out if I can use an arduino to sniff the CAN bus of the vehicle and detect if "Sport" is enabled or not, and in turn, trigger power to the methanol system. Further, Terra has been experimenting with modifying the MS45.1 to detect "sport" mode and use a "sport" mode tune. If those things could be brought together, it provides a super slick way to activate and deactivate the meth system (in case fluid is low or your just commuting).

For the meth setup, I like the idea of using the windshield washer reservior because you get a built-in "low fluid light" in the dash, and it looks stock. Just put a sticker on it that says "50/50 water methenol mix only" or something. And it still works as windshield washer fluid, btw.

I haven't thought to persue E85 because of the work involved in overhauling the fuel system. Plus I know 93 octane is avialable everywhere, there's only one station in my area that has E85, would make long road trips a little logistically challenged too.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
The ESS supplied injectors will be too small also for e85, you will need to upgrade these as well as fuel pump, fuel filter, and fpr.

I was originally going to try water meth with a nozzle for each intake runner, but opted for setting up for e85 instead. Costs were about the same for hardware, but not having to fill a tank and reliability of less parts made me personally decide e85 was the better option for myself.

If you are planning to spray before the screws, I would suggest you consider removing the laminova cores, and let the water meth do the cooling. The laminova cores are quite restrictive and you should see about a full psi difference in having them/ not having them installed. With the water/meth "sealing" the tolerance between the screws, it would be interesting to see how much boost you gain on the same sized pulley
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote