E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #21
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
For excellent handling, run style 68's square in a 17 x 8.5" setup. For the lightest unsprung weight, buy the Continental DW in a 245/40-17, they only weigh 21.3 lbs each. Forum sponsor tire rack has them on sale for ~$112 each which is a deal...
Switched to this setup last summer (albeit with Michelin PSS) and love it! I always compare tire weights, and a few lbs (as well as a good chunk of change) can be saved switching to the DW, which will likely be my next summer tire.

Rob, what are your thoughts of the APEX ARC-8 (17x8.5 ET20) for the non-M? Suspension wise, I'm currently on Koni Yellows with H&R Sport springs. The offset is on the aggressive side, but the 16.5 lb weight of the wheel is very attractive.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I'd be very concerned about proper fitment with a ET20 offset.

Rubbing is probably a no no for you, I'm thinking you'll get rubbing with a 17 x 8.5" & 245/40-17 tire with an ET20 wheel.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Switched to this setup last summer (albeit with Michelin PSS) and love it! I always compare tire weights, and a few lbs (as well as a good chunk of change) can be saved switching to the DW, which will likely be my next summer tire.

Rob, what are your thoughts of the APEX ARC-8 (17x8.5 ET20) for the non-M? Suspension wise, I'm currently on Koni Yellows with H&R Sport springs. The offset is on the aggressive side, but the 16.5 lb weight of the wheel is very attractive.
Quote:

Rubbing is probably a no no for you, I'm thinking you'll get rubbing with a 17 x 8.5" & 245/40-17 tire with an ET20 wheel.

Rob43
Knight make sure you are picking the correct car for your ARC-8's the one you want at that fitment should be ET40. To correct nav the site shop by car, select Shop by Car -> BMW -> E46 Non-M

Here is a link

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-b...c-8-wheel.html

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 01-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #24
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Rob, tire pressures have always confused me on the e46.

What's the recommendation for a square 245/40/17 setup? Street driven with just the driver.
Are the tire pressures recommended by BMW dependent on the tread width AND the axle placement, or only the tread width? Ie does a square tire setup dictate equal tire pressures? The engineer in me says that the axle weights are the same, and the tread width is the same, therefor for equal contact patches I'd want equal tire pressures. But I also know the suspension geometry plays a huge role here.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:35 AM   #25
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Certainly there are many variables to this...

A square tire & wheel setup doesn't necessarily mean you need to run a square psi number on your E46 chassis, typically anything between ~32 to ~38 psi will work well. So I'd recommend playing around with what feels good to you, I typically like roughly a 2 to 3 psi difference between F&R. Maybe try 34 front & 36 rear, but like I said, you need to figure out what feels best for you.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #26
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Great info in here! Will have to weigh mine and see. They came with the car, but seem reasonably light. I always shop for wheels based on weight (have some 15x6.5" wheels for my 82 VW Rabbit project that weigh 12.5 lbs/ea), but hadn't really thought about the tire weight.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:

Rob43
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Knight make sure you are picking the correct car for your ARC-8's the one you want at that fitment should be ET40. To correct nav the site shop by car, select Shop by Car -> BMW -> E46 Non-M

Here is a link

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-b...c-8-wheel.html
I like the concave look and the fact that it was the lightest version of the ARC-8. Oh well.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:16 AM   #28
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Thank you.

I like the concave look and the fact that it was the lightest version of the ARC-8. Oh well.

Just to make sure we're not killing your wheel dreams, walk out & take your best measurement using a ruler/tape measure to see if you have 30 + mm's of space between your tire & fender.

If you do pull off one of your front wheels & add a stack of washers* 30mm's thick to 3 of your 5 lug bolts (triangle), then re-install your wheel. If this current setup clears without issue, then test on the rear too.

Rob43

* This assumes you have Enough lug bolt length to do the job safely. DON'T DRIVE IT !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-01-28 at 11.59.53 PM - Edited.png
Views:	72
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	649415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-01-28 at 11.59.31 PM - Edited.png
Views:	69
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	649416  

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 01-29-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #29
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
Oh man, fitment... now we're talking. LOL! It's what kept me paid when I was finishing my Master's... but BMWs always made me spend money. Some of the most difficult to roll, but it also made me gain an appreciation for the brand that I never really had before. Very, very solid... Almost annoyingly well-made cars.

Finding someone who will do a good job on fender rolling/pulling without making your car look like trash is going to be the hard part. I run a company that specializes in near 0 external evidence fender pulling and rolling. I just abhor the look of poorly rolled fenders.

Tough choice is deciding if you want big tires or wide wheels. square sidewall tires are going to require some shaving (Cut, pull, seal, and tuck) while mild to moderate stretch can allow quite a bit more freedom of wheel choice.

There's a reason guys stretch the tires, and while many people hate it, it really does open up your choice to wheels. As an experiment, I ran 245/35s on 10" wide wheels for 3 years with not a single issue. Within reason, a slight stretch is perfectly safe depending on how you will be using your car. 225/40s on 10.5s is silly proposition though.

google divani-kingston to see some pics.
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 AM   #30
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
As an aside, since I'm in here...

Reach in and feel inside your rear fender lip. if there is a rubbery feeling "filler" inside the fender lip, the amount of room that can be created in your wheel well will be a bit more limited.

I have yet to figure out the consistency with which BMW applied that "sooper goop" as I called it years ago, LOL! In some E46s the rear fender lip was just basically an upward curled piece of sheet metal, like every other manufacturer. However, there were times when I ran across both coupes and sedans that had a rubberized filler inside the fender lips. I have no clue the reason this was or if it was done during manufacturing or at dealers. It being a weather resistant application seems stupid because it wasn't like it was a bedliner... it wasn't completely tight to the metal surface, which allowed water to get behind it and could rust out a fender pretty badly.

I just never could figure out the years and consistency this goop was applied. If you guys have any knowledge about it, it would be great to at least put this bit of trivia behind me. I'm pretty sure you guys already know its technical name, LOL!
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote