E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #21
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Don't hate me for reviving some of the oldest threads on the forum but I feel this is an interesting discussion. Sure, out of the box, the E46 is quicker, but the E46 also comes with thicker rubber. I am curious if you strip both, and put both on proper rubber, bars, and suspension, which could corner better? I don't know anything about E30's...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #22
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
I've owned both. Imho, Without mods the e46 is a superior car. And a helluva lot less maintenance. No valve adjustments, no timing belt, no distributor cap etc. that said. The e30 was fun to drive as it cornered well and was much lighter.

Miss the ol gal, sold it to a couple who saw it at a Bimmerfest show and wouldn't stop bugging me to sell it to 'em:

BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Dude8383

My Ride: 91 332iS, 02 325i
I think both have their merits. The E30 is going to be more fun to drive on the limit than the E46. The E46 chassis/suspension layout is superior without a doubt and will have no issues outhandling an E30 but I don't think you'd have as much fun doing it. I own both and find the E30 to be a completely raw experience which is why I love driving the damn thing so much

An E46 will be more capable in every way though but I'll stick with my E30 for the fun department
Dude8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Clovett

My Ride: 330ci
We pick up our inherited E30 on the 14th of May
Clovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
I'm under the impression the E30 was an incredibly tail happy car. They look nice, and the E46 is probably quicker, but more likely it will depend on the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude8383 View Post
I think both have their merits. The E30 is going to be more fun to drive on the limit than the E46. The E46 chassis/suspension layout is superior without a doubt and will have no issues outhandling an E30 but I don't think you'd have as much fun doing it. I own both and find the E30 to be a completely raw experience which is why I love driving the damn thing so much

An E46 will be more capable in every way though but I'll stick with my E30 for the fun department
Nice quiet hands! Don't see that nearly enough.

Grew up 1.5 hours from The Glen and been there enough times, but never driven it. Always wanted to after being taken around as a passenger. Much more fun track to drive than spectate. Not a fan of spectating there.

What group was that you were driving with? I've never seen a DE group with absolute open passing. I'm personally comfortable with it (raced wheel-to-wheel enough), but would be wary of those who didn't have racing experience. Even LeMons can be a bit hairy because of the inexperienced folks.

[edit] BTW, love the car too. I think an E30 would be great fun. Reminds me of my SE-R except RWD. I would think a lot of the fun of an E30 is the lower mass. When I first drove the E46 I could immediately feel the additional weight and it was a long time before I enjoyed it in the corners as I was used to a MUCH lower mass car.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Last edited by Geo31; 04-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #27
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Thanks for all your feedback guys! Never driven an E30, something definitely on my bucket list
Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #28
Dude8383

My Ride: 91 332iS, 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Nice quiet hands! Don't see that nearly enough.

Grew up 1.5 hours from The Glen and been there enough times, but never driven it. Always wanted to after being taken around as a passenger. Much more fun track to drive than spectate. Not a fan of spectating there.

What group was that you were driving with? I've never seen a DE group with absolute open passing. I'm personally comfortable with it (raced wheel-to-wheel enough), but would be wary of those who didn't have racing experience. Even LeMons can be a bit hairy because of the inexperienced folks.

[edit] BTW, love the car too. I think an E30 would be great fun. Reminds me of my SE-R except RWD. I would think a lot of the fun of an E30 is the lower mass. When I first drove the E46 I could immediately feel the additional weight and it was a long time before I enjoyed it in the corners as I was used to a MUCH lower mass car.
Thank you! I give credit to the all of the instructors that have taught me over the past couple of years.

Crazy that you lived so close but have never driven it... I've been to the Glen I think 3 or 4 times now. It's one of my favorites and certainly the fastest course I've ever driven on. I've always gone with the Gennesse Valley Chapter because they lock in good dates. Not too hot, not too cold and usually a Friday-Sunday event. The open passing was because I was in A-solo which is pretty much pass anyplace but SAFELY. If you look back at some of my older video's I'm in lower run groups that don't allow for passing anyplace but the straights. I've raced twice at LeMons and I know what you mean... it definitely brings up the experience level quickly!

Thank you... its funny you mention that because a lot of my friends and I have similar thoughts about the SE-R. Designs were similar back then. I think the Datsun 510 is closer to that kind of look but in the right wheel drive configuration

I think that the E46 feels quite nimble and safe at the limit especially with stock suspension. My car certainly lets me know when its like "okay, now now... lets not get ourselves into trouble here" lol... I love both cars for what they do best. Once I get my touring on the road I might do some suspension mods in order to bring down the center of gravity a bit more.
Dude8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #29
dlhoovler

My Ride: 2002 330i, 1971 2002
I had an Eta E30 325 as my daily driver for six years; sold it back to the guy I bought it from. The E46 that replaced it has higher limits for sure, and the acceleration is no comparison, but the E30 was more fun. It was noticeably lighter weight, and very communicative around its lower limits, which could actually be explored on public roads without risking one's license. With a lower-geared LSD and a chip, it was a blast in the twisties. Yes, it could be tail-happy, but that was part of the fun. And my skinny frame absolutely loved those sport seats, even if they were vinyl.

I've always felt like the E46 is really a 5-series at heart, considering the creature comforts, size and mass (my frame of reference, mind you, is the E30 and my 2002). Then I compared the dimensions of the E46 to the E28 and realized that almost all of the major ones are within an inch or so. It really is a 5-series--or would have been in a prior decade.

In contrast, the E30 is an updated 2002. A bit heavy in comparison, but still tossable. I like my E46, but I miss the E30. If child-seat considerations and the required wrenching time hadn't forced the switch to the E46, or if my 2002 didn't have a family history, or if I had a barn in the back yard, I'd probably still have it.

-Dave
dlhoovler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:39 AM   #30
NZBM

My Ride: 330ci, 325iT, X5 3.0
Owned both- A 318I E30 before I bought the 325I E46 touring. The E30 is a fantastic car for the era it was built in.

The 318i I had was just I cheap daily driver I bought at the time, it was nippy and nimble, very slow and incredibly fuel efficient.

The E46 touring was superior in every way, much faster (even being a much heavier wagon) much more solid feel, and more planted to the road.
Stock for stock the E46 is faster, corners better, more planted to the road but slightly 'dumbed down' driving feel compared to the E30, not 'numb' like a F30, but just not as 'seat of the pants' mechanical feel of the E30.

Tail happy wasn't a big problem with the 318i, but the 325i E30 my wife owned was, in comparison to the E46, but the E46 has fatter tires & traction control and a heaver rear so to be expected.

The E30 318I defiantly felt lighter and more nimble than the wife's E30 325i.

The E30 is a great car though. I often think about buying another for a classic to tinker with, before the prices start getting silly.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #31
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
This should help answer the question. Its not an E46 but it has WAY more power then the E46 325/330 and its racing an E30 wagon which is heavier then the coupe.

The race starts at 11:40 if you want to skip the beginning.

The E30 was .06 secs beyond on a course that had a some long straights, it caught and even passed the F30 in some of those corners.

I am currently building an E30 with an S54 swap, can't wait to see what it can do!!

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3-6MT:dance:

Last edited by Staszek; 04-25-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #32
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Both cars are capable modded handling wise.

E30 is more fun out of the box. More agile, lighter than E46.

E46 has higher limits, more mechanical grip, more solid, secure feeling (when fully maintained $$$)

My E30 reminded me of my an NA Miata. Light, tossable, toy-ish.

E46 handled good, but was more serious... "heavy" feeling. But also more grip and security.

Stock for stock, maintained, I believe an E46 would get from point a to b faster. but an E30 would be more fun.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #33
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
This should help answer the question. Its not an E46 but it has WAY more power then the E46 325/330 and its racing an E30 wagon which is heavier then the coupe.

The race starts at 11:40 if you want to skip the beginning.

The E30 was .06 secs beyond on a course that had a some long straights, it caught and even passed the F30 in some of those corners.

I am currently building an E30 with an S54 swap, can't wait to see what it can do!!
That race is not fair unless both cars had similar tires.

My dad used to have a 2002. We sometimes wonder which would be faster 2002 or e46 330cic. I suspect the e46.

Last edited by dknightd; 04-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
dknightd is online now   Reply With Quote