E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #21
Camel330i

My Ride: 2005 Infiniti FX35
I took my car to a different mechanic, and actually payed for a diagnosis. Turns out the light is nothin. It just said frequent low oil. And the light came off on the drive home, so it gotta be ccv. Anyway know if theres a CCV replace bundle or somthing ?
Camel330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
mxchris727

My Ride: E39, E93 335
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
STP will cause white smoke when used, not a big deal

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, and Tool32 with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/P & /D is up and running!
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #23
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel330i View Post
I took my car to a different mechanic, and actually payed for a diagnosis. Turns out the light is nothin. It just said frequent low oil. And the light came off on the drive home, so it gotta be ccv. Anyway know if theres a CCV replace bundle or somthing ?
Yes, Tischer BMW offers the entire CCV kit for something like $150 to $200. You can order the insulated cold weather version for another $10 or $20.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxNay View Post
Yes, Tischer BMW offers the entire CCV kit for something like $150 to $200. You can order the insulated cold weather version for another $10 or $20.
...and I hate to say it, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have bought the updated guidetube, which I'm pretty sure has a different length dipstick to go with it...for my model anyway.

If you're in a cold place, I'd think more strongly that you should get it (them) too.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #25
Camel330i

well my car now aint wastin oil as much as it did after that stp ****. But the coolant light just flashed for a bit today. However, I am startin to her this like leaky rotating sound now. Its comin from the block itself, not timebelt or anything else around it. So is that the ccv?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #26
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel330i View Post
well my car now aint wastin oil as much as it did after that stp ****. But the coolant light just flashed for a bit today. However, I am startin to her this like leaky rotating sound now. Its comin from the block itself, not timebelt or anything else around it. So is that the ccv?
Leaky rotating sound?

Either you're having sex and totally forgot, or maybe your wp?

Use a hose as stethoscope to isolate sounds.

You need to keep on until you find the source of your coolant leak, or confirm it was just needed topping off, still as a result of some improper bleeding earlier on.

I think I mentioned that the oil probably needs to be drained after using the stp, no? Whatever the can says, and if you don't have the can, you need to find one and read it.

Don't ignore the coolant loss. Start reading cooling threads and figure things out.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Camel330i

I checked my oil its still the same level as before, and now its not burnin oil, so im guessin im good for now. I dont need to change the ccv until its needed from what the mechanic said . But the sound that my engine made was loud, im not sure what it was?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

I agree with saintluk, check your dipstick. But, do it in a.m. on level ground. After 5 mins. all the oil hasn't drained back into pan...I'll show an extra 1/2 qt. in the a.m....so check whenever you want, but don't 'top off' using the level you get 5 mins. afterwards as the guide.
that's straight from my owners manual. 99' 323i.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
6wheels2vehicles

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Can you multiple 7 by 6 without a calculator? You can tell us and no one will make fun of you if you can't--half don't even recognize that as a math problem! ?
7 by 6......that what a new set of spark plugs cost! $42, installation extra!
6wheels2vehicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
m320

My Ride: 2002 bmw 320
started having this problem yesterday, was doing some reading up on it today and went to check my oil, realised my dipstick was missing, then had to think back as to when i had last checked my oil, it was on friday night. I replaced the dipstick this eve and will monitor it.

Do you think that could have caused my white smoke on cold start up?
m320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #31
FibroBeemergrl05

My Ride: 2005 e46 325i
I got my first be a year ago and these guys are right listen to them . With the advice from the forum I have completed a few diy and if your gonna keep ur car running great a obd2 scanner is a must . My 325i e46 drips a little water from tail pipes a s thin white smoke but only on start up for a few min then it's gone its normal my car runs great only thing is mine throws the p00171 and p00174 lean codes ive been chasing then since i got it . I've decided when schools out ima pull out my manifold and replace all the hoses niples gaskets ect. Intake boots are already replaced . Im excited to redo it all. So anyways just thought I'd add my two cents about listening to these guys

Last edited by FibroBeemergrl05; 04-21-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Correcting the end of my comment
FibroBeemergrl05 is offline   Reply With Quote