E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #41
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
For Canadian owners, not sure bmwminipartstore can and will order for you because of a number of reasons. I think they need US registration and drivers license for proof of ownership as well as they are probably only supposed to order for "their" market.

RMSOnline is NOT a BMW dealer. They want your key and EWS because they likely purchase Asian keys, copy your original, then program it to your EWS. they are very much like the mobile locksmith guys that program the key to your car. Since they are not hands on to your car to pull the EWS, you much pull the EWS for them and ship it with a key they can copy and read with there EWS/Key reader.
Correct. Bmwminipartstore will not process Canadian orders (to a Canadian address) as those consumers are protected under franchise contracts via Bmw Canada dealers.

However. I've ordered from them while in SC ( SC title, Ontario DL) so I'm not sure if they would drop ship to a us mail address (i.e Niagara Falls, buffalo etc) if you're using Canadian title docs. I recall something on their website about this. Just wonder what would happen if a Canadian had to order a key while visiting the US. Pretty sure the US dealer would sell the key so I think the ship address might have to be USA.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #42
Sinehmatic

My Ride: Shopping for an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Correct. Bmwminipartstore will not process Canadian orders (to a Canadian address) as those consumers are protected under franchise contracts via Bmw Canada dealers.

However. I've ordered from them while in SC ( SC title, Ontario DL) so I'm not sure if they would drop ship to a us mail address (i.e Niagara Falls, buffalo etc) if you're using Canadian title docs. I recall something on their website about this. Just wonder what would happen if a Canadian had to order a key while visiting the US. Pretty sure the US dealer would sell the key so I think the ship address might have to be USA.
Even if they process Canadian docs, I don't think it's worth the time for me to set up an American address or P.O. box and drive there.

No other options that you or anyone else knows of?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #43
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Have them ship it to one of us then we ship it to you. Not sure if cost effective
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #44
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Have them ship it to one of us then we ship it to you. Not sure if cost effective
Might be...:O

I'll have to contact some more local dealers and get more quotes.

Where would I make a post asking for volunteers to do this?

Last edited by Sinehmatic; 04-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Sinehmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #45
NeoMishMoo
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325es,318ti,330ci
Bought my key a year ago from bmwminiparts as suggested by this forum, good experience and cheaper than any dealer in north Texas.

From what I understand all keys are ordered from the same place by all dealers so why not use the online dealer and get it shipped direct for less cost.

All other options are more expensive in dollars or in time.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
NeoMishMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #46
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
Bought my key a year ago from bmwminiparts as suggested by this forum, good experience and cheaper than any dealer in north Texas.

From what I understand all keys are ordered from the same place by all dealers so why not use the online dealer and get it shipped direct for less cost.

If you're asking me, it's because I'm in Canada and they don't ship outside the US.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #47
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:

Correct - even Canadian dealers get their keys from BMW in NJ.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
if you want cheap then DIY

AK90 + Ebay keys ($24 for 2Pcs) + local guy that cuts it ($20 for 2).. here is a key from a 323i Wagon that i just bought, previous owner hack it to death..

total of $44 for 2 diamond keys..

mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #49
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinehmatic View Post
Might be...:O

I'll have to contact some more local dealers and get more quotes.

Where would I make a post asking for volunteers to do this?
Here.
And I'm happy to do it - just pm me for my details.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #50
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
if you want cheap then DIY

AK90 + Ebay keys ($24 for 2Pcs) + local guy that cuts it ($20 for 2).. here is a key from a 323i Wagon that i just bought, previous owner hack it to death..

total of $44 for 2 diamond keys..

I just don't want to pay $300, I'm happy with $200 or less.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #51
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Here.
And I'm happy to do it - just pm me for my details.
Thank you so much. I'll get more information and work from there.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #52
Dongotti

My Ride: 330i
I got a key a few months ago from the BMW dealer for $130 here as well in Texas. Not sure why there is a claim of those days are long gone...
Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #53
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongotti View Post
I got a key a few months ago from the BMW dealer for $130 here as well in Texas. Not sure why there is a claim of those days are long gone...
Because some dealers are RAPIST!!

I doubt you were offered $130 walking off the street into the parts department Did you know someone at the dealer? Did you have a business discount?

$130 is a VERY low price for a replacement keyfob, this is probably wholesale pricing.

My local dealer online pricing is $146.64 which is a good price that they offer.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #54
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Because some dealers are RAPIST!!

I doubt you were offered $130 walking off the street into the parts department Did you know someone at the dealer? Did you have a business discount?

$130 is a VERY low price for a replacement keyfob, this is probably wholesale pricing.

My local dealer online pricing is $146.64 which is a good price that they offer.
Jesus that's relatively cheap. Buy me one I'll pay shipping to Canada 8]
Old 04-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #55
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinehmatic View Post
I just don't want to pay $300, I'm happy with $200 or less.
Only $160 at the https://thebmwminipartstore.com.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #56
Tacticalrage

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Quote:
Just asked my local bmw dealer to order me a new key and they said 220$ after being cut and programmed. So those days are defiantly NOT " Long gone " lmao Just cause you got a good deal doesnt mean its the standard price for everyone. Expect to pay 200$ + for a new key unless you go another route not dealer related
Tacticalrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #57
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticalrage View Post
Just asked my local bmw dealer to order me a new key and they said 220$ after being cut and programmed. So those days are defiantly NOT " Long gone " lmao Just cause you got a good deal doesnt mean its the standard price for everyone. Expect to pay 200$ + for a new key unless you go another route not dealer related
Your dealer is only a partial rapist.

See post #53 above, $146.64 from my dealer (BMW Of Fairfax) with their Online pricing.

BTW, keyfobs come pre-cut when ordered and will start the car, you only need to relearn ALL the keyfobs which takes no tools or software, you do it from the drivers seat in less than 1 minute.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-22-2017 at 10:20 AM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #58
NeoMishMoo
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325es,318ti,330ci
Quote:

Where? I Called every dealer in the "Metroplex" and no one was under $180.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
NeoMishMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #59
Sinehmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
For like the hundredth time, I'm Canadian, they don't ship to Canada.

Last edited by Sinehmatic; 04-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sinehmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #60
Dongotti

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Where? I Called every dealer in the "Metroplex" and no one was under $180.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

so it looks like I got a steal of a deal. Last year October I believe I got the key for that price 130. Calling the same dealer BMW Southwest Houston they said it ranges from 200-500 dollars depending on the options of the car. SMH