E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
what is the greatest trend in medical technology now ?

nanotechnology developing multi cell robots, remote operating devices where doctors operate 1k miles away or is there something else ?
Nanotech and nano robots are only a pipe dream at this point, it'll be years before they make it to human use products. I'm unfortunately not involved in medical robotics so I can't really speak to that.

The biggest and most important trends that I've seen over the past few years is making technology smaller, more effective, and less invasive. For example, a pacemaker 30 years ago was quite literally a metronome hooked up to a car battery (I'm not kidding). Now it's a very highly advanced device that's incredibly small for what it does. In the next few years, you'll see the rise of even more non-invasive technologies such as transcatheter delivered devices (replacement valves, leadless pacemakers, etc) in order to make a lot more of these procedures that would typically require a hospital stay to be an outpatient procedure.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Make me an intake for my car.
My usual billing rate is approximately $300/hr (I cost more than 914kid's whore), I predict about 100-200 hours to design an effective intake for your car. Still in? Send paypal info.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
What part of the packaging operation? There are many steps taken to package and ensure long term sterility so there are quite a few steps between completed device and on the shelf. I don't participate directly in packaging but I've seen enough of it to be able to answer some questions.
For example. In the past I developed HIPS rollstock for surgical tools for a few companies. I never got the chance to see the packaging operations, but I would imagine it's similar to a form, fill, and seal line for food, but with more steps during the process to ensure optimal sterility.

What type of packaging are the devices or products you're making going into? Can you describe the packaging operation without exposing anything proprietary?

Quote:
I do both the technology and product development. I'm guessing you mean to ask about procedure concept development? Those are typically done by physicians and other more highly educated and specialized people.
When I think of a designer designing a product, I think of software based tools and rapid prototyping. But I realize the responsibilities of the title may vary depending on company and industry.

How would you describe your product development?

I'm a product development engineer in a different field. My actual design work is limited and minimal as I have a design engineer who utilizes my input/ideas. I research and prescribe the materials, costing, lab testing, product trials, life cycle analysis, FDA accordance, feasibility, etc. Just curious if you have similar responsibilities that fall under your title too.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Why is there always one drop of pee left even after I shake?
THIS. Holy Christ there is always that 1 left.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
For example. In the past I developed HIPS rollstock for surgical tools for a few companies. I never got the chance to see the packaging operations, but I would imagine it's similar to a form, fill, and seal line for food, but with more steps during the process to ensure optimal sterility.

What type of packaging are the devices or products you're making going into? Can you describe the packaging operation without exposing anything proprietary?
The packaging that we use is premade elsewhere and we buy it. The packaging for the devices that I work on are devices placed in trays, tray is sealed, tray is put in pouch, pouch is sealed, pouch is put in outer box, transferred to sterilization, pouch taken out of box, sterilized (various methods), put back in box, box sealed, box put in larger shipping box for distribution.

We buy all of the packaging materials, don't make any of them. I'm not sure if my company owns the tooling for the material molds or not though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
When I think of a designer designing a product, I think of software based tools and rapid prototyping. But I realize the responsibilities of the title may vary depending on company and industry.

How would you describe your product development?

I'm a product development engineer in a different field. My actual design work is limited and minimal as I have a design engineer who utilizes my input/ideas. I research and prescribe the materials, costing, lab testing, product trials, life cycle analysis, FDA accordance, feasibility, etc. Just curious if you have similar responsibilities that fall under your title too.
My role is very close to yours but I do a lot of the 3D CAD work myself. My particular role is in fluid mechanics so I get a lot of people who come to me with their projects for me to consult on. There are a lot of devices out there that need to be analyzed for their impact to cardiac fluid flow (blood flow) as you don't want to impact that either during the procedure or over a long term. I do that as well as my normal job of doing product and technology development.

I don't really do any costing or life cycle analysis though, that's typically done downstream of where I hand off the project. I do have to perform aging studies on how material will age as it sits on the shelf though.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I deal with sh!t every day. We all probably do.

Maybe, what are your qualifications?
12 Years as Industrial Designer with strong scientific and mechanical background.

Currently a plastic pressure vessel and plastic mechanisms designer using SolidWorks.

Product Design:
Develop design concepts that address the specific needs of the product including, durability, reliability, conformance to standards, performance, manufacturability, aesthetics, and design for assembly.
Solid modeling of parts, assemblies and products.
Responsible for documentation of designs.
Prepare layouts of systems and components.
Prepare detailed drawings.
Prepare Bills of Materials.
Perform tolerance stack up calculations.
Obtain quotations and prepare cost estimates.
Work with vendors to develop specifications.
Work with purchasing for vendor qualification and selection.
Prepare prototype models for testing.
Prepare demonstration units and presentations to Management.
Perform Engineering analysis to select the optimum design.
Supervises product qualification.
Prepares reports regarding engineering activity.

Pursing BSME.
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
12 Years as Industrial Designer with strong scientific and mechanical background.

Currently a plastic pressure vessel and plastic mechanisms designer using SolidWorks.

Product Design:
Develop design concepts that address the specific needs of the product including, durability, reliability, conformance to standards, performance, manufacturability, aesthetics, and design for assembly.
Solid modeling of parts, assemblies and products.
Responsible for documentation of designs.
Prepare layouts of systems and components.
Prepare detailed drawings.
Prepare Bills of Materials.
Perform tolerance stack up calculations.
Obtain quotations and prepare cost estimates.
Work with vendors to develop specifications.
Work with purchasing for vendor qualification and selection.
Prepare prototype models for testing.
Prepare demonstration units and presentations to Management.
Perform Engineering analysis to select the optimum design.
Supervises product qualification.
Prepares reports regarding engineering activity.

Pursing BSME.
My company won't hire you as an engineer without an engineering degree but that doesn't mean you can't get in as a tech or CAD designer. PM me and we can talk more out of the thread.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

do you ever see stem cell technology getting to the point where you have a problem, leave a blood sample or whatever the doc needs and return 2 weeks later with new teeth, new ear or new heart ?

Last edited by Guest100615; 03-03-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Do you use CFD to design?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
do you ever see stem cell technology getting to the point where you have a problem, leave a blood sample or whatever the doc needs and return 2 weeks later with new teeth, new ear or new heart ?
Well there are no stem cells in a blood sample but I get what you mean. The answer is yes, absolutely given that the government or someone funds it. We have been experimenting with collagen 3D printing to create certain components of our devices (can't comment on what they are or how it's going) and then using the synthetic collagen structure to build an organic object. There are several public articles out there that show various labs doing this to build organic replacement body parts. Pretty cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
Do you use CFD to design?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes, absolutely. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to hit at the fluid mechanics part as I figured you'd all want to know about spoilers and splitters.

I do use CFD to do my initial pass at a design and then any iterations of it to optimize that design. Once I get something, or things, I do like I will take it to a bench model of a situation and model it again to verify the computer model. There are lots of things that happen in nature that are not well captured by a computer model so the bench test part is absolutely critical.

I have done CFD and fluid mechanics engineering work in a number of different fields including aerospace, automotive (race car work), and even super computer cooling. All of those projects were done as part of my masters so I haven't actually worked in any of those fields though.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #31
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Do you keep a picture of Adrien Newey on your desk for motivation?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #32
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
what is your favorite dimensionless parameter?

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Is it the Reynolds number? I bet it's the Reynolds number.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #34
SamDoe1

Quote:
Do you keep a picture of Adrien Newey on your desk for motivation?
Right next to the one of your mom.

In all seriousness, I'd leave everything in a heartbeat to go work for an F1 race team or any of the high end auto manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
what is your favorite dimensionless parameter?
Oh man so many to choose from. I'd have to go with reynolds number.

Quote:
Is it the Reynolds number? I bet it's the Reynolds number.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-03-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #35
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Serious question time: Is Bernoulli's principle not responsible for lift? When I heard this guy say that I wanted to think he was wrong, but he knows more about flight than me so I'm inclined to believe him. I've always been under the impression that the air above travels faster, creating a low pressure area above the wing.

Start at 3:10

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-03-2014 at 04:37 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #36
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I wonder if we work for the same company- Does the company start with an "M" by any chance?

Last edited by Brevik; 03-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #37
SamDoe1

Quote:
Serious question time: Is Bernoulli's principle not responsible for lift? When I heard this guy say that I wanted to think he was wrong, but he knows more about flight than me so I'm inclined to believe him. I've always been under the impression that the air above travels faster, creating a low pressure area above the wing.

Start at 3:10
This guy is full of sh!t. Bernoulli's principle isn't that the air must get to the end of the wing at the same time at all, it's that pressure and velocity are related. Raise the velocity and pressure drops and vice versa. We all know that it's true and it has been proven scientifically numerous times. He's absolutely right that the air stream above the wing arrives at the trailing edge before the air stream on the bottom and that's the whole point...

Now, the pressure differential isn't the whole story for lift since the angle of attack of the wing also generates a substantial amount of lift just because of the force of the air hitting the bottom of the wing and pushing it up. You can see this by sticking you hand out of the window of your car and tilt your hand back. Your hand isn't an airfoil but it clearly goes up, this is because of the drag force pushing your hand up.

This pressure differential helps this by adding more upward lift so you can reduce the angle of attack and still retain the same lift force and reduce the drag force on the wing.

His world record plane clearly exhibits that in the way that it flies, if you watch it, it tilts back and glides therefore giving it some lift because of the air pushing up as it flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
I wonder if we work for the same company- Does the company start with an "M" by any chance?
Nope but I know exactly where you are and work just west of you. Are you at the mother ship in Fridley?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #38
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
What's the best type of material as far as longevity and biocompatibility for a heart valve - carbon fiber? plastic? titanium? or good old pig heart?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #39
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
my guess is medpace or atrium. two big med device companies i know of in minn. i designed a pee bag for one years ago lol

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #40
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
What's the best type of material as far as longevity and biocompatibility for a heart valve - carbon fiber? plastic? titanium? or good old pig heart?
Tissue valves last the longest and are most durable. It's usually not a pig heart valve anymore though and are actually made from either bovine or swine intestinal wall (just like sausage casing). The old days of removing a valve from a pig or cow are either gone or going away and more synthetically created valves are coming to market. Mechanical valves used to use plastic and biocompatible metals but they required open heart surgery to implant and actually made ticking noises as they worked.

The newer tissue valves can be delivered through your leg, up the femoral artery, and into your heart all through a small 3-5in incision in your leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
my guess is medpace or atrium. two big med device companies i know of in minn. i designed a pee bag for one years ago lol
Of the biggest med device companies in MN you come up with those two? Medpace doesn't make medical devices, they just run clinical trials. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Atrium Medical until just now.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-03-2014 at 05:11 PM.