E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #81
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
I call this "jumping ship" and that's exactly what I've done. I have never been promoted from within a company. If I want to take a next step, I switch companies.

It's a real PITA to convince your current employer to pay you more money for the same work. It's much easier to convince someone else.
If it's more work and more responsibility, I don't see why an employer shouldn't pay an associate more. At that point, it makes sense to jump ship.

I'm coming up the learning curve and list of responsibilities now where a promotion should be fairly close. Companies really get their money's worth + some out of engineers in my experience.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #82
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
If it's more work and more responsibility, I don't see why an employer shouldn't pay an associate more. At that point, it makes sense to jump ship.

I'm coming up the learning curve and list of responsibilities now where a promotion should be fairly close. Companies really get their money's worth + some out of engineers in my experience.
The issue a lot of times comes to slot availability. Unless someone leaves or the company grows enough to generate a new position, there isn't a lot of position advancement I've found.

For example, the staff Engineers on my team won't ever become the team lead or a Senior engineer just by punching in time. If they went out and got their CCIE, then mayyybe. But our internal budgeting for my team only has a slot for 1 Senior and the rest are staff engineers. They can certify their way to a raise but I don't ever see them "replacing" me, if you will.

Competent Engineers rise quickly, but once you have north of 5-7 years in, the advancement track slows down a lot unless you want to get into management(which I never will).

Last edited by yousharenow; 03-04-2014 at 12:59 PM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #83
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
^ If only that's how it worked in real life. I've gotten promotions with normal 3% raise and feel that they were just used to keep me around in the hopes that I'd get a larger raise in the future. That never happened.

The company's job is to pay you as little as possible to do the most work. It's easier to show someone else your potential than the person already writing your checks as they are already getting that potential.

This is going off topic though...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #84
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ If only that's how it worked in real life. I've gotten promotions with normal 3% raise and feel that they were just used to keep me around in the hopes that I'd get a larger raise in the future. That never happened.

The company's job is to pay you as little as possible to do the most work. It's easier to show someone else your potential than the person already writing your checks as they are already getting that potential.

x10.

The 3% raise is just a number to keep up with inflation I've found

We do get merit based raises, so if you kick ass you can get up to like 7% but I'm so happy where I am, and they pay me enough to keep me happy. A lot of it came down to home/work life balance, the fun stuff the company does (like a cruise next month), the overall work environment as well as the pay.

I took like a 5% raise to leave the 3rd largest Cable company in the US to come here, and I love the culture so much it *feels* like a 100% raise to me.

Last edited by yousharenow; 03-04-2014 at 01:02 PM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #85
bimmerfan08

Quote:

It's semi-related.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #86
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post

Competent Engineers rise quickly, but once you have north of 5-7 years in, the advancement track slows down a lot unless you want to get into management(which I never will).

At my company, management has realized that there has been a brain drain, and is putting forth high paying high tech jobs as an advancement alternative to management. That is the path I will be going down.
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #87
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
How does that work Mike?

For example, at my company we have corporate attorneys that take care of filing for patents and handle the process.

Do you work for a patent law office or on your own? Are your clients individuals/small companies or do you ever deal with large corporations?

And I take it, if an individual/company files with you, part of those legal fees include a commission to you?
i'm at a patent law firm that mostly handles mid to large size companies, including a company that makes a ton of medical devices. if i were to take on a client, i'd get a commission.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #88
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
patent lawyers getting a commission?!! lmao! if there isn't a job that pays more for doing less it's patent lawyers. i'd kill myself if i had to go through life being that unoriginal and trying to make money off of other people's ingenuity. bloodsuckers.

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #89
SamDoe1

Easy there tiger... I'd rather them write out the whole 20-30 page patent application than me.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #90
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Quote:
Easy there tiger... I'd rather them write out the whole 20-30 page patent application than me.
for $600 an hour? twice what you bill at? scam!!!

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #91
///Mystery

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
A person who understands science and technology enough to understand your cutting edge invention, who also understands law and how patent claims are evaluated and enforced justifies that billing rate. How is it a scam?

Why umad?
///Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #92
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
The $600 an hour paid to them is worth far more in the long term to avoid IP infringement.

Sounds like someone wants to go to law school though...
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #93
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Sounds like someone doesn't understand the patent system... I'd happily pay someone that much so I didn't have to sort through that **** myself.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #94
SamDoe1

So things are getting far off topic now...so in an effort to push this back the right way here are the articles I promised.

Wikipedia has the best and easiest to read articles so here's some good reading material for the conduction system of the heart as well as cardiac ablation and treatment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...m_of_the_heart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catheter_ablation

Probably better to read that than for me to type it all up. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #95
SamDoe1

So things are getting far off topic now...so in an effort to push this back the right way here are the articles I promised.

Wikipedia has the best and easiest to read articles so here's some good reading material for the conduction system of the heart as well as cardiac ablation and treatment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...m_of_the_heart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catheter_ablation

Probably better to read that than for me to type it all up. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #96
bimmerfan08

Sam, are you even surprised? This is E46 OT...not your normal crowd of folks. The attention span of people here is like that of flies.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 03-04-2014 at 09:39 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #97
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
How many people read your thesis? slash, give us an abridged abstract.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-04-2014 at 10:07 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #98
travisn

My Ride: Nothing
workbench or classic?
travisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #99
SamDoe1

Quote:
Sam, are you even surprised? This is E46 OT...not your normal crowd of folks. The attention span of people here is like that of flies.
You know, sometimes there's that glimmer of hope...and it immediately gets squashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
How many people read your thesis? slash, give us an abridged abstract.
No thesis, I had a capstone project working with turbine power generation systems and assisted another project on another capstone working with super computer cooling systems prior to my own capstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisn View Post
workbench or classic?
wat?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #100
bimmerfan08

Do you travel much?

~35% of my time is traveling to customers, suppliers, corporate meetings, seminars, etc.